2 Garlic cloves minced
1 medium Onion chopped
1/2 cup Chopped dates pitted
1/3 cup Chopped prunes pitted
3 Dried apricots chopped
1 tablespoon Salt
1 cup Lamb finely ground -- cooked
1 teaspoon Vegetable oil

Mix the lamb, almonds, fruits, onion, salt, and garlic in a large bowl. Cook the rice until almost done. Be sure to add the oil to the rice as it cooks. Do not drain! Add the lamb mixture and finish cooking the rice.

ORIGIN: Chef Pyotr Numurdaleshev, Kazakh Aul Restraunt

UZBEK PALOV

1 lb Lamb boneless cubed 1"
3 medium Carrots julliened
2 medium Onions cut to strips 1/4"
1/4 cup Peanut oil
6 cup Cold water
3 cup Rice uncooked
1 teaspoon Black pepper fresh ground
1 tablespoon Salt
1 Garlic clove minced
1/4 cups Raisins
1/4 cups Chick peas (garbanzo beans)

Heat oil in a large, heavy skillet over High heat. Drop in the lamb cubes and fry them 6-7 minutes, be sure to turn them constantly. Drain them and remove to a large casserole (a4 quart pot should be a good size.)
With the oil left in the pan add the onions, garlic, carrots, raisins, chick peas, salt, & pepper. Cook until browned then add the rice. Reduce the heat to Low and stir for 3 minutes. Pour this mixture into the casserole and toss lightly. Add the water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to sit for 10 minutes.

Polia Ivanova
06-09-2004, 14:39
In my schooldays I had a friend who lived for many years in Uzbekistan. Her family cooked plov quite often and I still remember that they put a little bit of cumin seeds into it (not too much). Traditionally it is made with mutton (lamb) but chiken or duck will do.
The secret of good plov is to leave it to rest in the pan it was cooked for few hours after removing from heat.

DPG
06-09-2004, 15:03
Just a note on food hygiene (not disagreeing with leaving things in pans because it can improve the flavour), but be aware:

Within rice there exists a naturally occurring pathogenic bacterial species "Bacillus Cereus" which is a spore-forming species that starts producing toxins when it comes into contact with moisture.

The spore forming part is of crucial importance when cooking and storing rice because it means that the bacteria survives the heat of the cooking process and when the temperature drops back to it's preferred range, once more starts producing toxins within the rice.

I.e. if you leave rice at this mesophilic temperature for long, you run the risk of vomiting and stomach cramps within 6-8 hours of ingestion.

Food should be stored at 1-7 degrees C or over 63 degrees C in order to be safe from this type of toxin!

Anyone for some rice pudding?!:p

Moscow Wolf
06-09-2004, 15:07
Never have that problem with my Uncle Bens Boil in a packet rice. You lot much have weak stomachs, I still got food in my frying pan from last week. I thought it was mushy peas but it appears that it must have been ravioli or something. Anyway it was green and very tasty!

Polia Ivanova
06-09-2004, 17:52
Originally posted by DPG

I.e. if you leave rice at this mesophilic temperature for long, you run the risk of vomiting and stomach cramps within 6-8 hours of ingestion.

Food should be stored at 1-7 degrees C or over 63 degrees C in order to be safe from this type of toxin!

Anyone for some rice pudding?!:p

The technology of cooking plov is that rise is fried first at very high temperature for few minutes and only then mixed with water.

I think it eliminates the risk of being affected by this bacteria.

It you cover the pot with plov with old coat in three hours the temperature will be still 65-70 degree. My opinion - it is safe.

Moscow Wolf
06-09-2004, 19:11
OMG, now I need an old coat to prepare something. There is no end to this cooking/preparation lark is there.

Polia Ivanova
06-09-2004, 19:36
Originally posted by Moscow Wolf
OMG, now I need an old coat to prepare something. There is no end to this cooking/preparation lark is there.

Russians are resourceful. Remember a Russian Space Pen?

I could buy a yogurt maker but I use a pan and an old coat to wrap it in. The result is the same, costs are driven down.