PDA

View Full Version : Top 50 Must eat at places in Moscow

enjoyMoscow
19-01-2009, 15:12
Dear All,

What are the 50 must eat at places in town?

Regards

RRM
19-01-2009, 16:43
Dear All,

Regards

Navarros

Blue Elephant

BeachBum
19-01-2009, 16:49
Dear All,

Regards
Depends upon what you define as must eat? In general, Russian restaurants fall into 3 catagories. 1) those posing as pretentious 2) those pretentous posers 3) all others... both 1) and 2) , in general, are overpriced, staffed by neophytes and have the culinary pesto of a New Orleans Beans&Rice dish. So in this respect better stick to the basics. Which in Moscow terms means either a decent steak of which Goodman's usually offers tamed fare, or Tarus Bulba for ethnic Ukranian. Since I am neither pretentious or a poser. I prefer a simple chicken penne which can be found at Starlight Diner. Of course, the gourmands here on forum will call me a fool. But really who is the greater idiot. The fool who drops 300$ on a plate of Pate' at the Pushkin restaurant then has hunger pains all night. or the idiot like me who drops 30$ on a tasty burger at TGIF that depsite the fast food implications is pretty tasty...

I never will understand you gourmands and this Must see attitude regarding eating. Pate' potatoe potato filet fois gras!!! its all food! )

I am reminded reading posts here by the so-called culinary experts of a wine tasting I had at my apartment some years ago. Bought three bottles of merlot. One low priced, one medium and the final an expensive variety. Only one of my friends was able to catagorize them!

PS the Blue Elephant is in the group 1) catagory. A pretentious poser. As far as Thai cusine goes it is neither spicy or tasty.. But throw in some fancy lights, a hot waitress and triple the usual prices and you have the typical Moscow restaurant. Basic tasty Thai is non-existant in Moscow. About the closest you can get to this is off Tversakaya at a small Thai style restaurant called "Tibet" this was a catagory 1) pretentious poser some years ago. But the aging process has relegated this better restaurant to the third catagory. And the prices are half that of the Blue elephant

MissAnnElk
19-01-2009, 16:56
Taras Bulba is my home away from home! We are regulars. I also love Starlite.

Pushkin is fine if I am not paying . . . as are most places I've seen in Moscow. Too expensive.

andrich
19-01-2009, 17:02
My vote goes to McDonalds.

RRM
19-01-2009, 17:21
I agree basic Thai is non-existant in Moscow. I've never been to Tibet, thanks for the information. However, service is something that lacks in Moscow and the Blue Elephant fills this void. The ambiance is a very rich decor as well. Lived in Thailand and another occasion also had a neighbour who was Thai for two years and I understand this cusine. However, you have to accept that Blue Elephant is fusion and not authentic.
As for Navarros, it is one of the best restaurant I have been in Moscow. The culinary skills of creativity of this restaurant can be rated among the top ones in Moscow.

BeachBum
19-01-2009, 18:08
I agree basic Thai is non-existant in Moscow. I've never been to Tibet, thanks for the information. However, service is something that lacks in Moscow and the Blue Elephant fills this void. The ambiance is a very rich decor as well. Lived in Thailand and another occasion also had a neighbour who was Thai for two years and I understand this cusine. However, you have to accept that Blue Elephant is fusion and not authentic.
As for Navarros, it is one of the best restaurant I have been in Moscow. The culinary skills of creativity of this restaurant can be rated among the top ones in Moscow.
yeah your right...I am just dying for authentic spicy hot make your eyes water thai.,,, guess I gotta wait for the return trip to Bangkok

elis
19-01-2009, 18:34
The only semi-decently spicy thing I had in Moscow were the bloody Mary's at Starlite diner. Not the best in the world, but certainly good by Moscow terms.

Da Cicco's pretty good for Italian, and by Moscow standards it was not overly expensive. (I was only at the one on Azovskaya, so can't vouch for the others.)

Also, our main eating out staple was Eisbein Grill on Varshavskaya. Labeled itself as an Austrian place, but the only things that seemed remotely Austrian were the schnitzel and the haxen (spelling????). But it's a great meat-and-potatoes place with reasonable prices.

TropicalFish
19-01-2009, 19:30
For Thai cuisine, maybe one should try Tai-Tai at Pokrovka 4, bldg. 1 (m. Kitai-Gorod). I don't like spicy tom-yam soup but those who tried it said it was "almost genuine" Thai.

Andy B
20-01-2009, 05:20
Maharaja (m. K.Gorad) or Vostochnaya Komnata (m. Smolenskaya) are my to favouite restaurants in Moscow (both Indian).

BeachBum
20-01-2009, 08:19
Maharaja (m. K.Gorad) or Vostochnaya Komnata (m. Smolenskaya) are my to favouite restaurants in Moscow (both Indian).
expensive????

Andy B
20-01-2009, 08:56
Nope, especially V. Komnata. Maharaja is a little more expenive from what I remember but nothing astronamical for the quality you get, and the service is excellent there.

KristinaD
30-01-2009, 11:59
Pushkin is a must eat! everything is on hign level. prices also)

Hawk
30-01-2009, 14:27
and get out of the centre into the surrounding suburbs, villages.... lots of real Russian foods... especially in summer when everything goes outside....

Top 50 places, i doubt you'd have necessary vip card to access most of them... but there's so many to choose from, take a metro to a station you've never been too, do a walk about and go into one that you see :)

Tom/
30-01-2009, 17:21
Buddies on Tverskaya....new restaurant, Thai & Chinese food. Not pretentious, extrememly delicious, reasonably priced, run by ex-pats.
Cannot be beaten

rushan
31-01-2009, 16:41
venecia (http://www.timeout.ru/place/restaurant/2356/), tasty and reasonable in price

BeachBum
31-01-2009, 17:04
Dear All,

Regards
I hate to say it but ROSTIKS makes a damn fine chicken sandwich,, the "Classic",,, all white meat (not pressed chciken) chicken, lettuce, seasame bun, Mmmmmmm and only 60 rubles!