PDA

View Full Version : Gas marks

Olim
06-09-2004, 10:00
Can anyone tell me how gas marks in recepies (e.g. bake for 50 mins at gas mark 5) corresponds to my crappy Russian oven where the only marks I have are big flame and little flame?

DPG
06-09-2004, 12:40
Well, there are 9 gas marks on an average cooker, so 5 is halfway between big flame and little flame!!

Honestly though, the best way to cook is to just cook by eye and by feel - you will know is something is cooking too fast or too slow by looking at it or smelling it...

Oh, and always preheat the oven or it will definitely cook too slow, unless you have a good fan system built in to it...which your description "crappy Russian oven" doesn't lead me to believe you do!!

Olim
06-09-2004, 12:55
Nah- it's a new oven and wasn't that cheap either but I went for style over content when choosing it. It just seems to have only two temperatures- off and nuclear.

rmo6767
06-09-2004, 13:34
Hmmm are you sure you can not go between those two marks, like slide or something?

rmo6767
06-09-2004, 13:43
Here is somethign that might help you. I have also posted it in its own subject on here as well.

boscoe
06-09-2004, 14:07
get an oven thermometer that sticks to the glass door and use the table above (last column)

Olim
07-09-2004, 09:44
Thanks but it still doesnt have "big flame little flame" on the scale.

I can't believe no one here has the same oven- I just did a straw poll around my work and it seems at least half of those who work here have pretty much the same cookers

boscoe
07-09-2004, 16:06
if you take my suggestion you can make your own marks on the dial - just experiment with different 'settings'

Zephyr
11-09-2004, 10:23
Originally posted by boscoe
if you take my suggestion you can make your own marks on the dial - just experiment with different 'settings'
I had an old friend who scribed his martini blender with exact marking to achieve consistant results :-)

J.D.
11-09-2004, 11:14
Most ovens in Russia are crap. Even in the US a decent oven doesn't have an even temperature from top to bottom or front to back. I calibrate my oven by baking cookies 3 sheets at a time. In my current oven all three sheets, top middle and bottom, came out different as well as from front to back. So now I bake cookies only on the middle rack and push them as far back as possible because it's a bit cool near the door. The recipe calls for 325 degrees fahrenheit which equates to 162 degrees Celsius but they come out dcorrect when I set it to 150. I'd love to buy a good big oven but these damn Russian kitchens are so small I wouldn't have room for it.

Shatneresque
24-09-2004, 20:06
Originally posted by J.D.
Most ovens in Russia are crap. Even in the US a decent oven doesn't have an even temperature from top to bottom or front to back. I calibrate my oven by baking cookies 3 sheets at a time. In my current oven all three sheets, top middle and bottom, came out different as well as from front to back. So now I bake cookies only on the middle rack and push them as far back as possible because it's a bit cool near the door. The recipe calls for 325 degrees fahrenheit which equates to 162 degrees Celsius but they come out dcorrect when I set it to 150. I'd love to buy a good big oven but these damn Russian kitchens are so small I wouldn't have room for it.

You gotta remember: Russian (i.e., Soviet) kitchens (and cupboards, and refrigerators, and pantries, etc.) were designed for people who didn't have a whole lot of food to eat....

Olim
25-09-2004, 10:29
I bought this oven in March- I was swayed by the colour and the fancy design. It's not a Soviet oven, just a crap one

Shatneresque
27-09-2004, 14:39
Originally posted by Olim
I bought this oven in March- I was swayed by the colour and the fancy design. It's not a Soviet oven, just a crap one

"The more things change...."

Some things linger on.

Utka
27-09-2004, 21:23
Thanks for the chart, rmo, I have added it to my fridge to keep my oven temps straight. Not that I cook much other than bachelor chow.

rmo6767
27-09-2004, 21:54
Originally posted by Utka
Thanks for the chart, rmo, I have added it to my fridge to keep my oven temps straight. Not that I cook much other than bachelor chow.

My pleasure, anytime