PDA

View Full Version : Tescos etc

Moscow Wolf
02-09-2004, 23:27
Sainsbury's do 'bloodless' butter beans! wink. I love how you Russians use the English language. I'd just love to hear your accent though. Can you do a voice track for me - please? ;) :p :D

Smurfette
02-09-2004, 23:32
Polia find a waitrose/sainsburys much better stores than tesco!

85StonePolarBear
02-09-2004, 23:35
You guys are SPOILED! My business offers marketing and research services to the FMCG industry, so that I know the supermarket scene both here and abroad quite well - and I would give up my right front paw for a Tesco, even the Eastern European style (Prague, Budapest, Warsaw) Tesco!!

Polia Ivanova
02-09-2004, 23:36
Oh Wolfy PM me your telephone number and you will hear my Manchester-Yorkshire dialect with Russian accent.

Important for this recipy - just a pinch of chillies - really gives it a kick. Don't skip lemon juice.

Moscow Wolf
02-09-2004, 23:39
Well a lot of Tesco's own brand stuff was available here in Moscow a few years ago. I was in a SPAR supermarket down in Perovo last weekend, and that was pretty much UK style supermarket if only a bit smaller. Products are of course aimed at the Russian shopper, but I could survive quite happily on the contents of that store.

Polia Ivanova
02-09-2004, 23:41
Tesco is just next door - I could walk there (but I drove of course)
It just wasn't the right Tesco - in others they have butter beans but this one had all sort of beans but not the one I needed.

Smurfette
02-09-2004, 23:43
Polia if you live in south m'cr try the big sainsburys in cheadle (next to john lewis).

Moscow Wolf
02-09-2004, 23:43
Polia, I can wait to hear the voice and see the owner of it when you eventually return to the Motherland.

Smurfette
02-09-2004, 23:47
Driving to store- if you didn't you'd buy too much and have really heavy bags to carry home, at least thats what I do when I'm feeling healthy and walk!!

Moscow Wolf
02-09-2004, 23:51
Yeah but you only buy seeds and grow your own stuff don't you! wink

Moscow Wolf
02-09-2004, 23:53
Is there a shrimp of evidence in what I just said!

Polia Ivanova
02-09-2004, 23:54
Originally posted by Smurfette
Polia if you live in south m'cr try the big sainsburys in cheadle (next to john lewis).

I know it exists (I work in Cheadle) but I never thought of getting there. If you make this Manchester Airport exit from A34 and get to a roundabout, what exit is it? Or is it different exit from A34?

Smurfette
02-09-2004, 23:57
it is off the A34 hang on, i'm trying to remember the directions...

Wolfie....what can I say, I have a talent for making things grow...

Smurfette
03-09-2004, 00:00
going out of M'cr, go over the M60 and follow the road until you see signs for the Cheadle Royal (hosp) take that exit and you should come up onto a big round about and then it's the 3rd exit I think.

85StonePolarBear
03-09-2004, 00:00
Yes, I do remember the Tesco brand goods that were available here - and Spar does have some nice outlets in town, my favourite being Nizhnegorodsky Passazh (Taganka).

However, (and if you're really interested I can check for you in the office tomorrow or Monday to see if Perovo is affected), the biggest SPAR (sub?) franchise holder in Moscow has entered into a joint venture with BILLA (Germany, was Austrian until retirement and buyout of Viennese founder) and some, if not most SPAR stores in Moscow will be rebranded as Billa.

Billa stores that I've observed range from top drawer food halls in Vienna to nice mid-range stores in Sofia to decaying Kopeika style discount outlets in Bratislava, so it will be interesting to see what happens and how the Billa brand is developed here.

Moscow Wolf
03-09-2004, 00:05
OMG two women discussing directions, this could be a long long thread! ha ha ha ha

Smurfette
03-09-2004, 00:09
in the UK men have and accident every 8000miles, women every 5000miles. Why? Because women stop to ask for directions.

Moscow Wolf
03-09-2004, 00:09
Poor Sevan only asked about Shrimps and now he has got to go to Cheadle to get them! I love this site and its ability to go OFF topic. lol. Smurfy, how many Cannabis plants have you got on the go as my mate the copper in Kiddy would be most interested to know> I might just tip him off about your Rosemary plants though, you know the new Columbian super drug Rosemary herb! lol and no, I don't want directions to Super Drug in Cheadle either.

85StonePolarBear
03-09-2004, 00:13
If he goes to Cheadle, I think a few of us have shopping lists for him...as for me, I'm actually so well adapted here that all I need from Sainsbury (or Super Drug) in Cheadle is a can of Dettol aerosol (if that even exists).

Smurfette
03-09-2004, 00:18
Wolfie, darling, as if I would have anything to do with illegal substances....purely culinary and medicinal!

Moscow Wolf
03-09-2004, 00:22
Get a Guinness tree then, if you can make Guinness grow, I'm your man!

Big Bear, sure that Dettol still exists, but in spray form I have no idea.

Smurfette
03-09-2004, 00:22
Yes dettol spray still exists.

Wolfie, I'll see what I can do... ;)

Polia Ivanova
03-09-2004, 00:28
There is no Super Drug in Cheadle. Lloyds Pharmacy and Boots, which is just across the road (A560) from Lloyds.

I've heard other Russians speaking there though...

By the way about them shrimps. On the main site

http://www.uktvfood.co.uk/

you can search recipies by word...

Smurfette
03-09-2004, 00:34
Shrimps in a white wine + cream sauce with rice.

Moscow Wolf
03-09-2004, 00:39
In Cheadle's finest restaurant no doubt!

Smurfette
03-09-2004, 00:46
no my kitchen.

Polia Ivanova
03-09-2004, 00:48
Originally posted by Moscow Wolf
In Cheadle's finest restaurant no doubt!

Our office favourite is “Jazz Jazz Jazz” – Lebanese sandwich shop (Wilmslow Road). People who bought the stuff there get so addicted that they are ready to spend 5 quid (and we are speaking about the North of England) every lunch for another dose of it.
I think tomorrow I should pay them a visit and ask for something with shrimps…