PDA

View Full Version : Site of the week?

trebor
15-01-2009, 00:44
I found this site recently Data Deposit Box - HOME (http://www.datadepositbox.com) and i really liked it.
If your anything like me and can't be *ssed to keep backing up your computer this site is ideal and i think pretty cheap for what they offer. There's a free trial period as well.
Click on the "Take the tour" for a complete description.

Qdos
15-01-2009, 09:47
There are lots and lots of online storage facilities.

If you know what you're about you can even use GMail space for the same purposes.

The only advantage in storing data online is to safeguard one copy of your precious data from local perils; like fire, viral corruption, or burglary, for instance.

An online data-vault cannot boot your PC when all else fails. But a rescue CD/DVD disk, or USB flash dongle, made with data backup software like Ghost or TrueImage can.

I'd argue using a product like TrueImage with both a local media write, and possibly its FTP write/restore capability as a secondary measure, would be superior to using any online storage facility by itself.

trebor
16-01-2009, 02:38
There are lots and lots of online storage facilities.

If you know what you're about you can even use GMail space for the same purposes.

The only advantage in storing data online is to safeguard one copy of your precious data from local perils; like fire, viral corruption, or burglary, for instance.

An online data-vault cannot boot your PC when all else fails. But a rescue CD/DVD disk, or USB flash dongle, made with data backup software like Ghost or TrueImage can.

I'd argue using a product like TrueImage with both a local media write, and possibly its FTP write/restore capability as a secondary measure, would be superior to using any online storage facility by itself.

Well i don't really know what i'm about when i comes to computers. You obviously do but i think there are many people around like me.

Gmail doesn't automatically backup your files or offer the facilities this site does. You have to pay of course but i think it's well worth it.

Obviously an online data-vault cannot boot your PC when all else fails but even i have kept the rescue disk!

Most people backup to disk, that's not going to reboot your computer either.

What i like about the site is that it's easy to use, automatically backs up your files as you change them, you can backup more than one computer for the same price, all for about 7 bucks a month.

Not sure the average punter like me needs all the bells and whistles that you are talking about or can even understand them.

robertmf
16-01-2009, 03:02
Look at Web Hosting by LinkSky (http://www.linksky.com) ask for Jos. Maas the admin there.

I'll recommend. You can use dliflc.org or infosysindustries.com as reference.

Qdos
17-01-2009, 16:30
These days it pays to know how to protect your own data and ensure you've got software to hand to fully restore your PC in minutes should disaster strike in any form, like a virus, hard disk failure, accidental erasure etc.

Otherwise people like me end up being paid ever increasing amounts when people cart in their PC's for attention :devil: