PDA

View Full Version : zags translation

matt81
12-01-2009, 21:12
hi this is my first one. im getting married on the 3 feb. i've done everything i needed to do as has my fiancee. i just got my visa back from the embassy today and my surname is spelt slightly differently from the visa i got translated for the zags. does anyone know if this is gonna cause me a problem?
i've done all the other paperwork and its all been fine. also i have 2 other previous visa's with my surname spelt this way.just the 1 visa with it spelt in the different way.

Qdos
10-02-2009, 14:21
Errhm, yes, but I guess you already found that out by now... :cry:

Johnny H
28-03-2009, 22:25
As I am the third to bear my family name, my name in my passport is:
John Higgins III

I had my passport translated and notarized, and the translator spelled out "III" as "third".

After our son was born, we went to the ZAGS for the birth certificate. They said that my son's last name would be "Higgins the third" as written on the translated/notarized passport. My wife explained, no, "the third" is not part of the last name, and that such a system existed in Russia, giving an example of Alexander III. At the ZAGS, such logic does not apply, and they simply said "We will write exactly what is written here."

So we had to go get my passport translated/notarized again, this time without "the third". When we went back to the ZAGS, they complained that, look, the notarized version is different from the passport. :rant: At that point my wife really laid into them, and we finally got the birth certificate with the correct last name.

Hope you had better luck.

DDT
29-03-2009, 01:19
Yeah! they are really f'n lame down at ZAGS ! Sometimes they want to make life harder for people and will do anything they can to screw you up. There is no way to know if they will let a mistranslation slip through or not. Try not to take any chances with these aaasholes. Wait till you are standing there married with the signed certificate in your hand and then tell them all what worthless and phony pieces of turkey gobble each and every one of them are! Make a scene and slam the door hard on the way out, and then stand out the front of the building passing a bottle of champagne. It's a great way to start the celebrations of marriage!

Jobler
29-03-2009, 13:35
Yeah! they are really f'n lame down at ZAGS ! Sometimes they want to make life harder for people and will do anything they can to screw you up. There is no way to know if they will let a mistranslation slip through or not. Try not to take any chances with these aaasholes. Wait till you are standing there married with the signed certificate in your hand and then tell them all what worthless and phony pieces of turkey gobble each and every one of them are! Make a scene and slam the door hard on the way out, and then stand out the front of the building passing a bottle of champagne. It's a great way to start the celebrations of marriage!

A big AMEN to that. I was just so glad to be over and done with them. The process went ok, but took ridiculous amount of time. Other people there were having real trouble.
I had been warned what to expect, and it was crazy. At the time I spoke very little Russian. We had to complete a form in Russian. My (now) wife filled in the form and I signed it. No, I had to fill it in. In Russian. I do not believe that what I wrote resembles any language on earth. Took it back to old stern face. She looked at it and stamped it.
Yes, I really love the Zags :rules:

Larry Paradine
29-03-2009, 20:50
And I thought I'd had problems with ЗАГС due to discrepancies in surname translation (my post on the subject is somewhere further down the page)! If I had been the third Laurence Paradine, my visa would probably have been in the name of Лоурэнс Парадин Третий and my certificate of non-impediment to marriage would have referred to Лауренс Пзрадайн Третий. The mind boggles at what the Мигслуж and ОВИР would have made of that!

Just a snippet of what may be useful information for readers whose place of birth is vulnerable to as many mistranslations into Russian as mine (Weymouth) is: buy, or borrow, an Англо-русский географический словарь and take it with you to whoever is going to translate your birthplace into Russian. I looked up Weymouth last week, and found what I suppose is the definitive, authorised, indisputable transliteration (Уэймут), so the five other versions that I've come across are duds.

DDT
29-03-2009, 23:40
A big AMEN to that. I was just so glad to be over and done with them. The process went ok, but took ridiculous amount of time. Other people there were having real trouble.
I had been warned what to expect, and it was crazy. At the time I spoke very little Russian. We had to complete a form in Russian. My (now) wife filled in the form and I signed it. No, I had to fill it in. In Russian. I do not believe that what I wrote resembles any language on earth. Took it back to old stern face. She looked at it and stamped it.
Yes, I really love the Zags :rules:Both I (who writes well in Russian) AND my wife who IS Russian had to fill that form in 4 times for them!

Btw, on the day of the wedding they noticed a spelling mistake in the name of my birth town but amazingly they let us get married anyway that day!

Qdos
30-03-2009, 02:25
Wait till you are standing there married with the signed certificate in your hand and then tell them all what worthless and phony pieces of turkey gobble each and every one of them are! Make a scene and slam the door hard on the way out...

And just hope you never need to go back and get a divorce there, or that if you do - they've forgotten about your turkey gobbling comment by that time, eh? :duhhhh: