PDA

View Full Version : chechens again...

Ned Kelly
01-09-2004, 11:40
MOSCOW, Russia (Reuters) -- Armed attackers on Wednesday took at least 200 schoolchildren hostage in the southern Russian province of North Ossetia, Itar-Tass news agency quoted local officials as saying.

Interfax news agency quoted local police as saying women and men wearing belts of explosives were among the attackers in the Ossetian town of Bislan, not far from the rebel province of Chechnya.

A gunbattle broke out with police near the building after the assault on the school. It said at least one man had been killed in the shootout.

The agency said the gunmen may also have attacked a second school, but other agencies did not confirm this.

The gunmen staged their attack on the first day of the new school year.

Russian President Vladimir Putin's envoy in the region said: "At the moment police are being called to the scene. It is not immediately clear how many schoolchildren and parents have been taken.

"There is a shootout in the area," the envoy, Vladimir Yakovlev said

quincy
01-09-2004, 23:15
About one month ago a Chechen rebel leader who was given asylum in the United Kingdom wrote in the International Herald Tribune that the US, UK and NATO had nothing to fear from Chechen terrorists, and hinted that they had shared goals of pushing Russia out of the Caucasus. NATO is pushing hard to move deeper into the Caucasus and the oil pipeline being built from Azerbaijan to Turkey (in the face of environmental protests) is explicitly designed to sideline Russia in the Caucasus.

George Bush and Tony Blair may give lip service to Russia (to ensure continuing Russian support for US bases in Central Asia) but the media in the UK, US, France etc has made it absolutely clear where policy stands on Chechnya. Immediately after the last terrorist attack in Moscow which killed 40 people, the London Evening Standard made a vitriolic attack on Russia. Russian victims of Chechen warlords was not even mentioned (Chechen terrorists and Western media bosses DO have shared interests afetr all!

MDW
01-09-2004, 23:24
http://www.expat.ru/forum/showthread.php?threadid=12500

Smurfette
02-09-2004, 00:10
The BBC were quite sympathetic towards Russia this morning... :(

quincy
02-09-2004, 00:31
It is the trend that counts not an instant reaction that is likely to quickly change again. The BBC is no different to the Guardian, the Times, the Independent. "Sympathy" is actually an extremely soft reaction to the multiple terrorist attacks! I think the BBC and the rest were more than "sympathetic" during the Madrid bombing.The BBC web site appeared to be drawing quite satisfaction from Putin many headaches

Braders
02-09-2004, 00:34
Sky News has just reported the number of hostages is now considered to be 300.

They are in my thoughts.

Smurfette
02-09-2004, 00:40
haven't looked at the website, only what I heard first thing this morning.
Justed looked at ft website, and yes you're right they are turning it on to putin. I appologise for my country's press, in all sincerity.

I cannot imagine what those people are going through.

kniga
02-09-2004, 00:49
Smurfette,

You can't apologize (or apologise) for your country's press unless you write for the British press. You are responsible for what you write and we pummel you pretty good from time to time for what you do write, but you always clearly label your thoughts as your own opinion and that's what we all ought to remember when posting here. You are a firecracker at 24 -- I can't wait to see you at 34! :-)

Smurfette
02-09-2004, 00:53
Err thanks I think.

Zephyr
02-09-2004, 02:25
Originally posted by kniga
Smurfette,

You can't apologize (or apologise) for your country's press unless you write for the British press. You are responsible for what you write and we pummel you pretty good from time to time for what you do write, but you always clearly label your thoughts as your own opinion and that's what we all ought to remember when posting here. You are a firecracker at 24 -- I can't wait to see you at 34! :-) Licentious, duplicitous dog that you are.

kniga
02-09-2004, 06:06
Smurfette,

Yes, it was...

koba65
02-09-2004, 06:40
Originally posted by quincy
About one month ago a Chechen rebel leader who was given asylum in the United Kingdom wrote in the International Herald Tribune that the US, UK and NATO had nothing to fear from Chechen terrorists, and hinted that they had shared goals of pushing Russia out of the Caucasus. NATO is pushing hard to move deeper into the Caucasus and the oil pipeline being built from Azerbaijan to Turkey (in the face of environmental protests) is explicitly designed to sideline Russia in the Caucasus.

Does anyone have this article? Who was the terrorist, Zakaev?

Blaked
02-09-2004, 06:57
This all stems from Russia's desire to give the Chechens 'democracy' instead of either granting them independence or killing every last one. Sound familiar? Here I'm going to have to agree with the Quincy - the US/UK are only worried about their pipeline. However, I don't think they have some kind of 'moral obligation' to do anything else - it just makes them look hypocritical in light of the Iraq situation.

Moscow Wolf
02-09-2004, 08:23
This one is going to be difficult, I can't see the special forces risking gas on this one after the last disaster. My GUESS is that they'll lure them out and take them en-route to the airport or something, or just maybe they'll take them in situ somehow. Remember Putin is not after another term as President and he rightly won't give in to terrorists. It's a bad bad situation, this one.

sir Gay
02-09-2004, 08:59
actually, taking children as hostages was not very bad tactics at all as it is the ONLY reason why russian special troops cannot just storm in like they did last year at "nord-ost"...

do you think this school theme is the last step in the chess play between the russian empire and chechnya? or shall we see more?

so far the chechens has been leading in score...

and why does the mass media thing matter so much? russian as well as western stink the same and is used for propaganda, sifted by corrupted editors and is engaged by whoever pays for information release. even "free" russian media people have kids to feed, moms whose insurance they have to pay for... naturally, even "free" russian journalists will report what they are told to...

Olim
02-09-2004, 09:20
Ask someone who works for the British Foreign Office out here what kind of shit they are getting from the Russian Authorities because of this Chechen detainee in the UK and wonder why the UK is generally less sympathetic towards Russia than other countries affected by terrorism......

quincy
02-09-2004, 09:25
The BBC World Service now calls the terrorists " fighters" in its news headlines. All that is left now is for the Foreign Office and the BBC to call them "freedom fighters". Will British forces training Georgians now cross into Chechnya to help their terrorist allies?

sir Gay
02-09-2004, 13:47
god moves in misterious ways ;)

bushastanets
02-09-2004, 19:46
Callilng them "fighters" is as appropriate as calling the Russian conscripts and kontraktniki "soldiers" or calling the Chechen militsia police. It's all one big perverse world.

You reap what you sow. This kind of yucky stuff is to go on for years to come. What do you think happens to Russian veterans of the war in Chechnya? It's ugly and sad...

sir Gay
02-09-2004, 19:53
Originally posted by bushastanets
What do you think happens to Russian veterans of the war in Chechnya? It's ugly and sad...

same what is happening to veterans of the war in afghanistan. the whining (now) bourgeois will later say, 'we did not send you there, it was brezhnev (yeltsin, putin), so piss off'

koba65
07-09-2004, 03:33
Originally posted by Olim
Ask someone who works for the British Foreign Office out here what kind of shit they are getting from the Russian Authorities because of this Chechen detainee in the UK and wonder why the UK is generally less sympathetic towards Russia than other countries affected by terrorism......

And if the Russian Federation gave refuge to a wanted IRA or PIRA terrorist?

Blaked
07-09-2004, 08:56
My guess is that the British are spending good money protecting this guy. Otherwise, why wouldn't the Russians just go and bag him the way the Mossad does when some known Palestinian terrorist is abroad? Hells - they've been everywhere - they caught some Munich Olympic 'hostage takers' in Norway, some Nazis in South America, and even one of their own nuclear scientists that leaked info about their nuclear weapons program in Rome. Maybe this Chechen matter should be contracted out to the Israelis.