PDA

View Full Version : Please help to find job in USA

Mashutka
30-08-2004, 13:39
Hey! Me and my friend want to go to USA to work. We have just graduated Russian Economic Academy and want to jind job at the office. If somebody have any info about it please answer.

legspreader
30-08-2004, 14:13
your best bet is to work of a multinational that has offices in the us and work to be tranferd there.

Shatneresque
30-08-2004, 15:46
Originally posted by Mashutka
Hey! Me and my friend want to go to USA to work. We have just graduated Russian Economic Academy and want to jind job at the office. If somebody have any info about it please answer.

Uhhhhhh.... Excuse me, but.... Why do you want to go there, of all possible places?!?

Col. Brokov
30-08-2004, 17:43
They want the money, of course!
By the way Cap't. You were way better than Jean Luc Pichard!

Shatneresque
30-08-2004, 17:59
Originally posted by Col. Brokov

D*mned right!

koba65
30-08-2004, 19:24
Originally posted by Mashutka

Maybe you should try to look into some sort of internship program. It'd be a good start. Does your academy have any information regarding internships in the US? Try googling for some information. Good luck.

koba65
30-08-2004, 19:27
Originally posted by Col. Brokov

Good for them if they want the money. I'm sure no one on the expat site was lured to Moscow because of the money... (sarcasm). I don't know about you, but I get a twinge of guilt everytime my ass is driven around by someone with more education making in a month what I earn in a day...

Shatneresque
31-08-2004, 11:42
Originally posted by koba65
Good for them if they want the money. I'm sure no one on the expat site was lured to Moscow because of the money... (sarcasm). I don't know about you, but I get a twinge of guilt everytime my ass is driven around by someone with more education making in a month what I earn in a day...

Someone should explain to Masha and her friend that while, yes, you can make a lot of money living in the US, the cost of living decently (i.e., in a nice one-room "efficiency apartment" in a reasonably safe neighborhood, while paying your utilities, eating regularly, wearing clean clothes, buying other things you need occasionally, having reliable transportation, some sort of medical coverage, and being able to go out a couple of times a month and take a couple of weeks' vacation every year) is also very high; I'd put it at somewhere at around $2000 a month, minimum, after taxes (federal, state, and local---about 1/3 of your income right there, and they're normally deducted automatically from your paycheck).

In addition, you have to work HARD at a good entry-level job just to make that much; it doesn't come easy....

maddog
31-08-2004, 12:42
Cap'n---there are other places to work than the "East coast". The cost of living is not so high. Best suggestion is to check on-line for places that are looking for foreign interns. The Academy should be able to help.

Shatneresque
31-08-2004, 12:55
Originally posted by maddog
Cap'n---there are other places to work than the "East coast". The cost of living is not so high. Best suggestion is to check on-line for places that are looking for foreign interns. The Academy should be able to help.

I was thinking more of the Midwest, Ensign.... On the East Coast, it would be higher.

legspreader
31-08-2004, 15:30
oh theres another factor they want the job with in the next 6 months.

Kshisya
31-08-2004, 15:40
Originally posted by koba65
I don't know about you, but I get a twinge of guilt everytime my ass is driven around by someone with more education making in a month what I earn in a day...
:D:D:D one of those cheap brag comments :D:D:D

thanks! at least something funny for a day on expat :D

Shatneresque
31-08-2004, 15:47
Little Annie Fanny! My favourite comic strip! Cool!

Nagant Guy
31-08-2004, 18:44
$2000 a month after taxes in most of the midwest or South is enough to live on. And if that is all you are making you aren't paying 1/3 of that in taxes. You might have to drive a Kia instead of a Lexus and not eat out at resturants more than once a week, but you don't really need to if you know how to cook. It all depends on lifestyle.

Shatneresque
31-08-2004, 19:15
Didn't mention savings, did I? Or insurance? Or having an emergency fund in case something happens? Or trying to have some sort of social life? Or replacing your worn-out clothing and shoes every couple of years? Or buying household items when something breaks or wears out? Or paying for heat in the middle of a Midwestern/Northern winter? Or trying to build up some equity in prospect of your retirement (which, you never know, may come sooner than you think).

Etc., etc., etc....

They may not take 33.33% of your income in taxes, but it definitely will be between 25% and 30%. (That you also will probably get a tax refund in one amount or another in the spring doesn't cancel the fact that you're giving an interest-free loan to the government, thereby tying up your capital to your disadvantage the other 11 months out of the year.)

Having lived in the States myself, all I can say is: I wouldn't do it again unless I was making at least $2000, after taxes. This is what I consider the minimum necessary to live decently, not extravagantly.

For someone with a higher education, incidentally, I think this is also considered a rock-bottom salary....

Smurfette
31-08-2004, 20:55
Err the cost of living in the UK is a whole lot higher than the US!!! Trying living in south east england for a while, then anywhere else is cheap.

Smurfette
31-08-2004, 20:56
Not to put anyone off from living here.....:p