PDA

View Full Version : Bacon and corn

jheisel
30-08-2004, 13:32
A friend and I were having an email discussion about bacon and corn (don't ask), and he had a great idea:
if only we could find some way to combine corn and bacon.

like corned bacon & hash. for some sort of new ethnic celebration.

or, even better, corn benedict, where corn on the cob is wrapped in
bacon, fried, and then smothered in some sort of sauce.

Anyone interested in trying to come up with such a recipe?

Shatneresque
31-08-2004, 10:58
Originally posted by jheisel
A friend and I were having an email discussion about bacon and corn (don't ask), and he had a great idea:
if only we could find some way to combine corn and bacon.

like corned bacon & hash. for some sort of new ethnic celebration.

or, even better, corn benedict, where corn on the cob is wrapped in
bacon, fried, and then smothered in some sort of sauce.

Anyone interested in trying to come up with such a recipe?

I suggest you try this recipe, adapted from "New Recipes from Moosewood Restaurant," published by Ten Speed Press, Ithaca, NY, USA.

Moosewood is well-known for its vegetarian cooking, and this was originally a vegetarian dish; however, I see no reason why you can't add some chunks of bacon to it, if that's what you like.

CORN AND CHEESE CASSEROLE

3 eggs
3 tbs white flour
1/2 cup 22% cream
1 cup whole milk
1/2 tsp sea salt
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 tsp dried dill
2 tsps chopped parsley (preferably fresh)

2 cups corn (preferably frozen)

2 tbs butter
2 cups diced onions
1 large carrot, grated or chopped
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese

Over low heat, saute the vegetables in butter until tender (about 5 minutes), then remove from heat. While the vegetables cool, blend or whisk together the first eight ingredients.

In a mixing bowl, combine the egg mixture, the cooled sauteed vegetables, the corn, and the cheese. Add your chunks of bacon and stir well.

(I recommend you use around 300g of lean, smoked slab bacon, not strips, cut into 1/2-inch cubes. In addition, I suggest you use thawed frozen corn; this actually has a higher nutrient content than fresh corn you buy at the supermarket, as it's packed and frozen within hours of picking. If you can't find frozen corn, use vacuum-packed tinned/canned corn. Before you buy it, shake the tin/can; if you hear water sloshing around inside, put it back. Not only is the packing water loaded with salt, it also leaches out around 1/3 of the vegetable's nutrients and makes the kernels mushy.)

Pour the mixture into a buttered 8" x 13" baking pan or large casserole dish and place in an oven preheated to 350 degrees F (about 170 degrees C) for approximately 35 minutes, or until golden brown on top. The casserole is done when a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean.

Moosewood recommends serving with homemade salsa (chopped tomatoes, Spanish olives, green onions, hot peppers, and some Tabasco) or their own special hot sauce (basically salsa with tomato paste, cumin, coriander, cayenne, and cilantro added).

To produce some variations on this recipe, you could

replace the dill with oregano, add chopped green and red peppers, garlic, chili powder, and cumin seed, and sautee the vegetables in corn or olive oil instead of butter to give it a Mexican flavor;

use smoked cheese, sheep or goat's cheese, or cow's milk feta cheese instead of cheddar;

use blends of cheese instead of just one---e.g., Gouda, Edam, and Swiss, or Mozarella, Provelone, and Parmesan and/or Romano.

Experiment and enjoy!