PDA

View Full Version : Irish Whisky Advice Needed

GreatArcticBear
28-08-2004, 15:42
Anyone familiar with Irish whisky (and I take it that Irish, like scotch is whisky and not whiskey - or am I wronge :) )? I've noticed some unusual brands - Locke, Cragganmore etc lately and I'm wondering if any of them are worth a try. Thanks.

DPG
28-08-2004, 17:33
Irish malts and blends would actually be "Whiskey as opposed to "Whisky"(which is ONLY Scottish)...those in the trade remember this by saying that "the Scots are so tight that they didn't want to pay for the 'e' in the name, but the Irish and the Americans didn't mind doing so!"

Some Irish malts are definitely worth a try - Blackbush and Bushmills (same distillery) are nice and from what I remember from my tasting, Cragganmore is also very drinkable (and is a whisky because it's a Scottish Islay malt!;))...the Irish malts are not that different in character to the Scottish ones, perhaps a tad 'softer' than some of the highland malts though. They often have a good peatiness - however not as pronounced as say the Islay malt Laphroaig...

Certainly nice with a cigar at any rate!

GreatArcticBear
28-08-2004, 17:39
Thanks - and thanks for the spelling heads up - Bushmills and BB are so cheap in DF and so dear here that I save those for travel! Looks like I am confusing Cragganmore with something else - I'll hit Azbuka Vkusa which has these Irish whiskeys, try one and let you know.

DPG
28-08-2004, 17:45
I can't believe the price of (good) whisky/ey in this country...:(

A while ago when I was in London I bought a gift for a Russian friend of mine who is a malt whisky enthusiast: A boxed 0.7l bottle of Glenmorangie 12 year old, that also had a minature bottle each of the Glenmorangie Sherry, Port and Madeira cask finishes. That cost 25.

Shortly after arriving back here, I was in Sedmoi and saw just the normal bottle of Glenmorangie for $110 (no box, no minatures, no information booklet etc)...my eyes nearly popped out!

JeffK
28-08-2004, 20:33
I have to put in my 2 cents (rubles?) worth on this subject. I humbly suggest that as for Irish whiskey, Jameson's is my favorite. Smoother than Bushmills. Try it on the rocks or for that drink that will keep you going all night, with coffee. Just skip all that sugar and cream in an Irish coffee. It is also not too expensive here. Macallan 18 year old is a simpy sublime example of a Scottish Highland malt. It is aged in shery casks and really great. I must worn however, for me anyhow, the whiskey hangover is terribly painful. Imbibe with care!

GreatArcticBear
30-08-2004, 11:57
Thanks. Anyway, it is Connemara and not Cragganmore :) - I'll pick up a bottle next weekend or whenever I'm near the Azbuka Vkusa on Dorogomilovskaya and let everyone know.

Moscow Wolf
31-08-2004, 04:11
Jameson's 12 year old is a nice drink too and, what's a hangover. Barman give me a John Daniels please? Don't you mean Jack Daniels?. When you have known him as long as I have, you can call him John!

Pantalaimon
31-08-2004, 04:59
Whiskey/whisky hangovers are actually one of the better ones, try Port, that hurts.

trebor
31-08-2004, 08:07
or cognac.

Big Bugga
31-08-2004, 09:02
bah! the mother of all hang overs come from MD20/20....also know as "Mad Dog"......untill you've had one of those you've never had one.

GreatArcticBear
31-08-2004, 09:06
MD 20/20 is only sold in auto parts stores over here ;)

studentka
31-08-2004, 12:26
The best cocktail I've ever tried is "Sleep my horse". Half of Whisky(ey) plus half of Champagne.
After a few cups you're sleeping like a dog! And on the next morning you can't remember how you've spent yesterday night. :)
Actually, no hangover except lapse of memory :)

Moscow Wolf
31-08-2004, 14:41
Some alcohol combinations are lethal, at one New Year's work's party I drank a lot of Russian Red Champaign followed by Vodka. I was later restrained swinging a big sword McCloud style and hacking chunks out of the boardroom table! :shame:

Big Bugga
01-09-2004, 07:10
a realy tasty one is called "jacks to open, trips to win", its yukon jak, jack daniels, orange juice, pineapple juice, grandine, triplesec and 7up......its best drank in shots, but you can use keg cups...it just kills you faster....

1 shot Yukon Jack
1 shot J.D.
splash of O.J.
splash of Pineapple
splash of grenadine
splash of triplesec
top off with 7up, mix well....serve

I hope it hurts you as much as its hurt me.

Bugga'

Shatneresque
06-09-2004, 15:51
Best one as far as I'm concerned is the classic Rusty Nail---equal amounts of scotch (Johnny Walker Red is my favorite for this) and Drambuie.

My own Americanised versions of this are the Robert E. Lee (Jim Beam and Southern Comfort) and the Jeb Stuart (Jack Daniels and Southern Comfort).

Single malt scotches---Glenfiddich is the best I've tried so far, certainly the smoothest.

At Christmas/New Year's, try this (I believe it's called a "White Lady"): a cup of hot (not scalded) 10--11% cream, a tablespoon of honey, a generous shot of scotch (JWR), all mixed together; heat the cream over very low heat with a little sachet of milled oats in it.

Imbibe a few a' these i' the nicht an' ye'll be i' a bonnie brae mood come time t' sing Auld Lang Syne....