PDA

View Full Version : Saving screen to desktop

trebor
23-12-2008, 16:20
Does anyone know how to save what is on my computer screen to my desk top?
I know how to save the website i'm viewing but i want to save exactly what is on my screen including my Internet Explorer tool bar etc.
Cheers

Qdos
23-12-2008, 17:08
Just hit "PrtSc" and it will copy a snapshot of everything on your screen to the clipboard. Then open your usual imaging/graphics program, and choose "edit", then "paste as", then "new image..." ;)

If you want more complex options then investigate screen capture software such as Techsmiths SnagIt...

trebor
23-12-2008, 17:56
Just hit "PrtSc" and it will copy a snapshot of everything on your screen to the clipboard. Then open your usual imaging/graphics program, and choose "edit", then "paste as", then "new image..." ;)

If you want more complex options then investigate screen capture software such as Techsmiths SnagIt...

I've got a laptop (should i have mentioned that?) and pressing PrtSc doesn't seem to work.
Any other ideas?

Qdos
23-12-2008, 18:12
I've got a laptop (should i have mentioned that?) and pressing PrtSc doesn't seem to work.

As long as you're running Windows the PrtSc key does what I say above, no matter what flavour of Microsoft annoyance you possess...

There is no way that pressing PrtSc on a notebook makes any odds, it does exactly the same as it does on any desktop workstation...

After you hit PrtSc open your photo editing program and hit Ctrl & v, the command for paste, see if that sorts the issue... :11033:

opag78
26-12-2008, 15:54
Any other ideas?

Yeah, must press the Function (FN) key as well. The PrtScr key on laptops is normally a FN-key

Qdos
26-12-2008, 15:57
Four notebooks kicking around here, and all of them are PrtSc liberated from the Fn key - although the OP can, hopefully, understand the colour coding of his particular laptops keyboard etchings... :mooooh:

opag78
26-12-2008, 15:59
If someone asks how to take a screenshot then you can not assume ANYTHING regarding his knowledge of his machine !!

Qdos
26-12-2008, 16:10
If someone asks how to take a screenshot then you can not assume ANYTHING regarding his knowledge of his machine !!

Didn't realise I'd used the word 'assume' anywhere, about anything, anywhere in this thread... :ok:

I've avoided making assuaging statements such as 'most laptops require the Fn key depressed' in order to access the PrtSc function, because I realise that the end-user can of course see the colour coding on their own keys, and because I know that many notebooks don't require the Fn key depressed to perform such a capture...

Not that I'm assuming you're wrong, of course... ;)