26-08-2004, 16:48
Easiest recipe I've ever seen for 'em!

1 cup (235ml) evaporated milk
1-1/4 cups (295ml) granulated sugar
1-1/4 cups (295ml) light brown sugar
1 stick (113g) butter
2 cups (473ml) chopped pecans
1 tsp vanilla

1. In medium saucepan, heat evaporated milk. Add the sugars and cook on medium-low heat, covered, until mixture comes to a boil.

2. Remove lid and continue in a rolling boil, uncovered, stirring frequently, until mixture reaches a soft ball stage. Check by dropping a teaspoon of mixture in cold water - when if forms a firm ball, it's done.

3. Remove from heat and add butter, pecans and vanilla. Beat for 5 minutes. Drop by teaspoonfulls onto buttered waxed paper. Let cool.

Makes about 2 dozen pralines.

J.D.
26-08-2004, 16:52
Okay, but now I need you to bring me some evaporated milk in addition to the vanilla extract and the Crisco shortening.

polly
26-08-2004, 17:00
evaporated milk is "guschyonka" if i'm not mistaken. not exactly hard to find. or is guschyonka somehow different from the evaporated milk in the US??

sfjohns67
26-08-2004, 17:01
I think it is. My recollection from the US is that 'sgushenka' is condensed milk, which is very thick and VERY sweet. Evaporated milk is very thin with a consistency and taste almost like water.

My online dictionary translates evaporated milk as sgushenka, though, so heck if I know.

rosieredwood
26-08-2004, 17:18
just make sure you don't throw in "tushyonka"

camus
26-08-2004, 17:25
Originally posted by sfjohns67
I think it is. My recollection from the US is that 'sgushenka' is condensed milk, which is very thick and VERY sweet. Evaporated milk is very thin with a consistency and taste almost like water.

My online dictionary translates evaporated milk as sgushenka, though, so heck if I know.

sgushenoe moloko = condensed milk, literally

I've never heard of "evaporated milk", but it sounds like "viparenoe moloko" if there is such a term.

sfjohns67
26-08-2004, 17:28
I know it's the literal translation, what I meant (which I admit I didn't say very clearly) is that in the states, I remember two distinctly different milk products - condensed and evaporated.

camus
26-08-2004, 17:34
Originally posted by sfjohns67
I know it's the literal translation, what I meant (which I admit I didn't say very clearly) is that in the states, I remember two distinctly different milk products - condensed and evaporated.

I got most of that -- just figured that since apparently they are two different products with unique terms, one of which translates literally, the other term may translate literally also.

J.D.
26-08-2004, 18:11
It's been discussed in an earlier thread. Not the same thing here.

Make that 6 cans Steve.

DPG
26-08-2004, 18:26
They are absolutely different, and I'm sure that I've seen both of them all over the place in Moscow...I'll have a closer look next time I'm shopping...

stefania2003
26-08-2004, 18:55
DPG, you must spend your time browsing for food:))
I've only seen evaporated milk about 3 times in the whole time I was there. Condensed you can buy everywhere but not the other and as Stephen says, yes they are quite different and evaporated is used for cooking and especially for such naughty items as fudge:)

DPG
26-08-2004, 19:00
I know they are different! - in what seems like a previous life, I trained as a chef;)

I'm sure I've seen both types...in fact thinking about it, the first time I bought some condensed milk for a recipe, I picked up the wrong can and it was evaporated so I had to chuck the can away!!

I'll look tomorrow and auction it here if I find it!!:p

stefania2003
27-08-2004, 00:37
DPG, I was right about you but I thought you were just a gifted amateur cook - didn't know you'd had chef training:)
Yes, I dont think they use evap milk much in Russia which is probably why I've hardly seen it around. I know this because I was always looking for it, then gave up and did the usual food-haul-overweight baggage schlepp, then found it somewhere but it really isn't very common in Moscow.

trebor
27-08-2004, 04:46
Okay, were all agreed condensed and evaporated milks are different things.
Now, while your running around Moscow trying to locate evaporated milk in tins. I'm going into the kitchen and open a packet of regular whole milk.
Pour it into a saucepan, bring it to the boil, turn down the heat 'till it just simmers.
Then, put your feet up with a couple of cans of Stary Milnik and allow it to reduce (evaporate) by 60/70% and there you have it.
EVAPORATED MILK.
See ya when you get back!

sfjohns67
when that praline is cold, put it into a food processor and grind to a powder (better if it still has a few lumps in it) and fold it into cheesecake mix, creme brulee, ice cream (and re-freeze), basic sponge mix, mousse etc.
I love the stuff!

jonnykatz
21-10-2009, 19:13
Okay, were all agreed condensed and evaporated milks are different things.
Now, while your running around Moscow trying to locate evaporated milk in tins. I'm going into the kitchen and open a packet of regular whole milk.
Pour it into a saucepan, bring it to the boil, turn down the heat 'till it just simmers.
Then, put your feet up with a couple of cans of Stary Milnik and allow it to reduce (evaporate) by 60/70% and there you have it.
EVAPORATED MILK.
See ya when you get back!

sfjohns67
when that praline is cold, put it into a food processor and grind to a powder (better if it still has a few lumps in it) and fold it into cheesecake mix, creme brulee, ice cream (and re-freeze), basic sponge mix, mousse etc.
I love the stuff!
When you say reduce by 60%, do you mean that there will be 40% or 60% of the original amount?