PDA

View Full Version : Pancakes

Pingu
26-08-2004, 16:39
Here are three pancake recipes (I've only ever used the English one, as it seemed the quickest with the least number of ingredients):

English Pancakes

125 g flour
1 beaten egg
300 ml milk

Sift flour into bowl. Make a hole and add egg and milk to centre, stirring the flour into the centre. Mix well, until smooth.

Russian Pancakes

2.5 glasses flour
4-5 egg yolks and whites
100 g sugar
200 g butter
3-4 glasses milk
pinch of salt

Stir in yolks with sugar and milk. Add hot melted butter and salt. Slowly add flour, mixing until smooth. Add egg whites, mixing until smooth.

American Pancakes

2 eggs
2 cups flour
6 tsp baking flour
1.5 cups milk
4 tbsp butter
pinch of salt

Beat egg and mix in the other ingredients until smooth.

Ledka
26-08-2004, 16:50
...we also add some beer to make the pancakes soft and thick.

Ledka
26-08-2004, 16:51
there's also a secret, if you want your pancakes to be good add some kefir or smetana (or just a sauer milkovers left in your fridge)

DPG
26-08-2004, 18:33
Can anyone confirm whether the recipe above for American pancakes will in fact yield that fluffy kind of pancake that is nice for breakfast (if not particularly healthy!)??

I've been looking for a recipe for a while that is tried and tested!

Random
26-08-2004, 18:35
Pancakes for breakfast !!!

You'll have a good old fashioned fry up like the rest of us Brits !!

Pancakes indeed !!!

:p

DPG
26-08-2004, 18:42
I know - of late I've been worrying that whilst paying homage to the likes of SFJohns and Innosranets, I have in fact become rather too American.

Why just the other day saw the phrases "let's watch a movie" and "take the elevator to the 8th floor" both escaped my lips within the space of a half an hour...;)

Seriously, one thing I did recently in the name of international relations at breakfast, was to make some pancakes AND bacon and have them together with a dash of maple syrup...bloody delicious it was too!

Oh for a fry up...got the last pack af bacon I brought back with me in the freezer...time for it to be defreosted methinks!

Random
26-08-2004, 18:47
Kippers only for you from now on !!

Bacon and maple syrup !!! Are you insane man !!

Bacon & HP its all that needs to be said !! :agree:

DPG
26-08-2004, 18:51
Just looking at the above recipe again...what in the name of god is "baking flour"??

Do you mean baking soda or baking powder??

Help - I want to try this one, no matter what Random says!

Random - show me a place in Moscow where I can buy a kipper (or a traditional red herring for that matter, smoked for a month or so) and I will gladly eat it for breakfast!

Pingu
27-08-2004, 10:25
The recipe just said "baking flour" - no idea whether this means powder or soda, but I'd guess it means powder. (Great help I turned out to be ... :rolleyes: ...!!)