PDA

View Full Version : Dentistry information

pengwn9
25-08-2004, 22:01
A question I'd rather not need to be asking.

I need some dental work done. I've been to the Russian American Dental Clicic on the Garden Ring Rd. for teeth cleaning. I spoke to the American dentist at that time (forgot his name) and asked if he provided nitrous oxide for his patients. I had noticed a lack of the usual gadgets and hoses that go with nitrous delivery systems.

He chortled. Nitrous oxide? Said he'd NEVER use anything from a tank in Russia labled nitrous oxide. There was no way to be sure what might be in the tank, maybe something dangerous, maybe something contaminated, and pshaw, that nitrous was for weenies anyway.

Well, I'm a weenie. Is nitrous available in this country? Anybody know a high quality dentist who will dose me with the stuff before poking around in my mouth? I'm thinking of having an extreme need for dental work in the very near future and all I want, is to be in dreamland befor he cranks up that drill.

My eternal gratitude to anybody who can bail me out here.

pengwn9
26-08-2004, 11:04
Nobody? No good dentists here? No nitrous?

Ay yay yay, what's a girl to do?

veejay
26-08-2004, 11:15
Thought about trying the US Dental Clinic? Or at least calling them to ask if they have nitrous?

Birdy
26-08-2004, 11:26
I use the MEDI clinic on Pokrovsky Bul'var - very proffesional and a little cheaper than the American or European clinics, don't know if they have Nitrous but they seem to have everything else.
They speak very little English - I speak very little Russian but that does not seem to be a problem.

jheisel
26-08-2004, 13:02
Peng, I had some serious dental work done at that very clinic. They don't use nitrous, but instead have an anaesthetic in a needle that they will shoot you with that works quite well. At least it did for me.

pengwn9
30-08-2004, 10:45
Thanks for moving my thread guys.

So what about this MEDI clinic? Is it for dentistry only? Do they speak any English? Any address or nearby Metro station? I know absolutely nothing about the Russian health care system, except that it currently has a pretty crummy reputation. And I'm hesitant to let them have at my teeth when I know nothing about them. I've seen Russian teeth. It's not an encouraging sight.

plastique
31-08-2004, 01:46
Originally posted by pengwn9
Thanks for moving my thread guys.

So what about this MEDI clinic? Is it for dentistry only? Do they speak any English? Any address or nearby Metro station? I know absolutely nothing about the Russian health care system, except that it currently has a pretty crummy reputation. And I'm hesitant to let them have at my teeth when I know nothing about them. I've seen Russian teeth. It's not an encouraging sight.

gotta agree...am tempted to try the russian dentist but have heard some pretty horrible stories...i am a big weenine and have hated the dentist from our first meeting at the age of teeny tiny... and totally agree...have seen some of their teeth..YIKES, but to be honest the younger people seem to have it together as do the people with money....

Moscow Wolf
31-08-2004, 02:08
Peng, I use the German Dental clinic near Mayakovsky Metro; they're pricey, but speak English and are very customer orientated. I know nothing about gas, I'm one of the lucky ones that doesn't worry about dentist's drills, the ceiling is not too high to fall back down from after they hit a nerve. There are a lot of good dentists in the city, both Russian and Foreign, you have to scout around for the one that you feel comfortable with and fits your pocket. All the good ones tend to be expensive though.

am4rw
31-08-2004, 03:00
I think Russians use vodka. It must work, considering what their dentists have done to so many of them.

DPG
31-08-2004, 10:20
What? - Given them full sets of gold teeth when they came in for a quick check up??!!:p