PDA

View Full Version : Fur or synthetic warmth?

is4fun
20-12-2008, 16:23
We have entered a definate cold spell. Not as cold as a real Russian winter, however, the cold has been prolonged this time of year. I've noticed very few people wearing actual fur rather than synthetic materials as opposed to the first few years I was in the city. In fact, I remember all the fur hats men wore all over. Today I saw my first one, only one. By an oldtimer on the street. Sure, anyone can buy them but now mostly in the tourist areas of the city.

Would this be an economic choice, style or love of animals?

elis
20-12-2008, 17:04
I'm pretty sure PETA by no means has even a foot hold in Russia, so I think I would dismiss love of animals as a reason.

is4fun
20-12-2008, 17:14
Re: PETA - Being a foriegn NGO it would be classified as a spy organization seeking to cause a velvet revolution. rrrrough!!

kazachka
20-12-2008, 19:10
It hasn't been cold enough yet for fur. I just pulled out the mink a few days ago. I'm just fine in my snowboard jacket til about -8 -10ish, then my leggers kind of get chilly and out comes the full length WARM fur. Plus, I live on a sh!t line and 4 mornings a week I have to leave out of Kuzminki and try to avoid wearing my good fur in the morning mosh pit. Synthetic is crap by comparison and you will freeze your a$$ off when real cold sets in if you don't have a decent shuba or dublenka. When I lived in Alaska and it was -40 -50 I lived in fur from head to toe and never got cold. I also like that I don't have to layer much at all under a good fur. When I enter hot office, I shed the fur and I'm not sweltering under remaining layers.

Qdos
20-12-2008, 19:55
Yup, fur it is, especially outside Moscow where temperatures plunge into the minus extremes. Sod Brigette Bardot and the leftie nin-com-poops, there's simply nothing quite like fur to keep you toasty!

robertmf
20-12-2008, 20:14
... Would this be an economic choice, style or love of animals?

None of the above. Simply a matter of keeping the ears warm :10301:

is4fun
20-12-2008, 22:13
I was hoping that feathers would be in soon. I was out today and saw a few crows in the cold. They didn't look cold at all! When is a fashion designer going to come up with a coat with the down on the outside of the coat?

robertmf
20-12-2008, 23:30
... When is a fashion designer going to come up with a coat with the down on the outside of the coat?

Can you sew ?

robertmf
20-12-2008, 23:47
I was hoping that feathers would be in soon.

Can you run fast enough to catch an ostrich ? Of course it looks like they have big teeth and might not take kindly to being turned into a fashion item.

MissAnnElk
21-12-2008, 09:18
I am the biggest animal softie out there. But I have fur hats and a fur coat. I won't wear seal, but I have no problem with mink and even rabbit. Who knows what my Russian hat is . . . probably Chinese dog (God help me). But it is warm.

J.D.
21-12-2008, 09:31
I don't think bird's teeth are naturally that sharp. If you look on the right side (bird's left) you can see what looks like a filling or some other dental work. I suspect that at the same time the dentist sharpened some of the other teeth.
YOU CAN'T FOOL ME!

is4fun
21-12-2008, 18:19
Can you run fast enough to catch an ostrich ? Of course it looks like they have big teeth and might not take kindly to being turned into a fashion item.

Now that is style!. Does it come in black?

kazachka
21-12-2008, 20:40
Can you sew ?

Nice musk ox:) Their wool is extremely warm and is used for sweaters and mittens. They are also cool animals to watch!

Evitatomson
21-12-2008, 21:24
Most of the girls in our office have short mink coats or at least fox color.This year is very warm in comparison to the previous Decembers in Moscow.
Dont know exactly but i think it must ve been 2006, when it was so cold, that one of my colleagues Svetlana said, while she was sitting in the car and couldnt get to office, few more people who couldnt open their frozen car doors asked her to let them in car as well. Several strangers in "valenki " boots sitting in the car with engine on !!!
Trust the prognosis - it will be minus 18 on New Years Eve!

robertmf
22-12-2008, 01:00
Nice musk ox:) Their wool is extremely warm and is used for sweaters and mittens. They are also cool animals to watch!
You need учить a course in field biology :-) :jawdrop: That's a North America bison aka buffalo as in Buffalo Bill Cody.

kazachka
22-12-2008, 11:50
You need учить a course in field biology :-) :jawdrop: That's a North America bison aka buffalo as in Buffalo Bill Cody.

looks very much like a musk ox to me with slightly shorter wool and horns:) I have actually never seen a buffalo before, just musk oxen in the field along one of my old running routes up in Fairbanks, Alaska.

musk ox - Google Image Search (http://images.google.com/images?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=musk+ox&um=1&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title)

is4fun
22-12-2008, 14:46

I would guess one can wear them and eat them also. :clown:

robertmf
22-12-2008, 18:25
[QUOTE=kazachka;475254]looks very much like a musk ox to me with slightly shorter wool and horns:) I have actually never seen a buffalo before, just musk oxen in the field along one of my old running routes up in Fairbanks, Alaska.

Fairbanks ?-:cold::11581::cold::11581::11581::11581::cold:

The give away is that musk oxen can be found huddled in a horn-outward circle; buffalo/bison are mucho bigger than musk oxen and hence stampede anywhere they want.

robertmf
22-12-2008, 18:33
I would guess one can wear them and eat them also. :clown:

Yes. Very practical animal for the North American Indians. The building of the railroads in the 19th century almost wiped the buffalo out (shot and massacre'd for food).
Buffalo Horn Ranch - Product Pricing (http://www.buffalohornranch.ca/productPricing.htm)

kazachka
22-12-2008, 21:00
[QUOTE=kazachka;475254]looks very much like a musk ox to me with slightly shorter wool and horns:) I have actually never seen a buffalo before, just musk oxen in the field along one of my old running routes up in Fairbanks, Alaska.

Fairbanks ?-:cold::11581::cold::11581::11581::11581::cold:

The give away is that musk oxen can be found huddled in a horn-outward circle; buffalo/bison are mucho bigger than musk oxen and hence stampede anywhere they want.

Yep- it gets chilly willy in Fairbanks. Coldest I have seen and run outside in is -56. BRRR!

robertmf
22-12-2008, 21:39
[QUOTE=robertmf;475354]

Yep- it gets chilly willy in Fairbanks. Coldest I have seen and run outside in is -56. BRRR!

Ah, but no wind chill at -56 :farout: unlike Shemya.

kazachka
22-12-2008, 22:34
that would be Delta Junction- just south of Fairbanks- cold as sh!t and blows too!

robertmf
22-12-2008, 22:41
that would be Delta Junction- just south of Fairbanks- cold as sh!t and blows too!

Physically enough, once the temps get below -40 or so there can't be wind, else the air molecules friction warms up the air !! I can tell moustaches never sent you to Kolyma.

As a practical side note: you don't want to be hitting the vodka bottle at these low temps ... the vodka will flow ... but flash freeze your innards.

is4fun
23-12-2008, 00:33
Yes. Very practical animal for the North American Indians. The building of the railroads in the 19th century almost wiped the buffalo out (shot and massacre'd for food).
Buffalo Horn Ranch - Product Pricing (http://www.buffalohornranch.ca/productPricing.htm)

Shot and massacrered for food? I doubt it. As if they had meat trucks in those days. More like for the pelts.

Qdos
23-12-2008, 00:40
Shot and massacrered for food? I doubt it. As if they had meat trucks in those days. More like for the pelts.

We'll be discussing beavers next, seeing as were already at the point of mentioning something juicy to eat, in the same breath as furry pelts... :mml:

is4fun
23-12-2008, 00:45
Beavers were made into those nice top hats popular amongst the afluent British and New Englanders in the late 19th century I believe. Could have even fashioned the tails into ping pong paddles for the Chinese. Waste not want not... :)

Qdos
23-12-2008, 01:00
I was shocked to find how many beavers there are on the internet a moment ago, I must have led a very sheltered life... :ok:

http://i44.tinypic.com/5ckgnk.jpg

is4fun
23-12-2008, 01:07
And cougars too. LOL

robertmf
23-12-2008, 01:39

Where do you think the "Buffalo" in Buffalo Bill Cody came from?
PBS - THE WEST - William F. Cody (http://www.pbs.org/weta/thewest/people/a_c/buffalobill.htm)
Buffalo Hunters in the Old West (http://www.legendsofamerica.com/we-buffalohunters.html)

Buffalo was food on the hoof for the railroad workers and 'sport'. The modus operendi was to drive an entire herd off a cliff ... Buffalo hide coats never became the rage in Europe that beaver skin hats did (almost wiping out the beavers in the process).

[ATTACHMENT CAPTION]
Our engraving represents a sport that is peculiarly American. At this season of the year the herds of buffalo are moving southward, to reach the canyons which contain the grass they exist upon during the winter. Nearly every railroad train which leaves or arrives at Fort Hays on the Kansas Pacific Railroad has its race with these herds of buffalo; and a most interesting and exciting scene is the result. The train is "slowed" to a rate of speed about equal to that of the herd; the passengers get out fire-arms which are provided for the defense of the train against the Indians, and open from the windows and platforms of the cars a fire that resembles a brisk skirmish. Frequently a young bull will turn at bay for a moment. His exhibition of courage is generally his death-warrant, for the whole fire of the train is turned upon him, either killing him or some member of the herd in his immediate vicinity.

When the "hunt" is over the buffaloes which have been killed are secured, and the choice parts placed in the baggage-car, which is at once crowded by passengers, each of whom feels convinced and is ready to assert that his was the shot that brought down the game. Ladies who are passengers on the trains frequently enjoy the sport, and invariably claim all the game as the result of their prowess with the rifle. This solution of the case is, of course, accepted by all gentlemen, and a more excited party of Dianas it would be impossible to imagine.
Next lesson we'll discuss the phrase, "A Chinaman's Chance in Hell".

is4fun
23-12-2008, 11:39
Another excellent article and very detailed:

AmericanHeritage.com / HOW THEY KILLED THE BUFFALO (http://www.americanheritage.com/articles/magazine/ah/1956/5/1956_5_34.shtml)

kazachka
23-12-2008, 11:42
Physically enough, once the temps get below -40 or so there can't be wind, else the air molecules friction warms up the air !! I can tell moustaches never sent you to Kolyma.

As a practical side note: you don't want to be hitting the vodka bottle at these low temps ... the vodka will flow ... but flash freeze your innards.

That was the saving grace in Fairbanks- the domes aka сопки sheltered the town from any major winds like you get in the Anchorage area and Mat- Su Valley(Wasilla/Palmer). at -40 there is no wind in Faribanks, but the air is so dense you can hear a mouse tiptoeing on snow as everything is louder.

I found Mat Su to be colder at -30 ish with a gale force wind than Fairbanks at -50 hence an easy justification for lots of fur garments to keep warm and toasty!

robertmf
23-12-2008, 14:25
I was shocked to find how many beavers there are on the internet a moment ago, I must have led a very sheltered life... :ok:

http://i44.tinypic.com/5ckgnk.jpg

:nono: hahahahaha That's a groundhog aka woodchuck, not a beaver !!-LOL

February 2nd is the annual Groundhog Day.
Groundhog .org - the Official Site of the Punxsutawney Groundhog Club (http://www.groundhog.org/)

Country-Style Groundhog

1. 1 groundhog
2. 1/2 c. flour
3. 1/4 tsp. salt
4. 1/4 tsp. pepper
5. 1/4 tsp. soda
6. 1/4 c. cooking oil
7. 1/2 tsp. sugar

NOTE:Clean and skin as soon as possible. Remove all sent glands. Cut off head, feet and tail. Cure in cool place by suspending from hook approximately 4 days. When ready to cook, lard according to recipe.

Dress groundhog as for rabbit, removing the small sacs in the back and under the forearm. Soak groundhog overnight in salted water to remove wild flavor. Combine flour, salt, pepper and sada; rub into groundhog pieces. Brown grounhog in hot oil in skillet; sprinkle with sugar. Reduce heat; add 1/2 cup water. Cover; simmer for about 30 minutes or until tender. Remove cover; cook for 10 minutes longer.

QUESTION: If a woodchuck could chuck wood, how much wood could a woodchuck chuck ?

is4fun
23-12-2008, 17:51
:nono: hahahahaha That's a groundhog aka woodchuck, not a beaver !!-LOL

February 2nd is the annual Groundhog Day.
Groundhog .org - the Official Site of the Punxsutawney Groundhog Club (http://www.groundhog.org/)

Country-Style Groundhog

1. 1 groundhog
2. 1/2 c. flour
3. 1/4 tsp. salt
4. 1/4 tsp. pepper
5. 1/4 tsp. soda
6. 1/4 c. cooking oil
7. 1/2 tsp. sugar

NOTE:Clean and skin as soon as possible. Remove all sent glands. Cut off head, feet and tail. Cure in cool place by suspending from hook approximately 4 days. When ready to cook, lard according to recipe.

Dress groundhog as for rabbit, removing the small sacs in the back and under the forearm. Soak groundhog overnight in salted water to remove wild flavor. Combine flour, salt, pepper and sada; rub into groundhog pieces. Brown grounhog in hot oil in skillet; sprinkle with sugar. Reduce heat; add 1/2 cup water. Cover; simmer for about 30 minutes or until tender. Remove cover; cook for 10 minutes longer.

QUESTION: If a woodchuck could chuck wood, how much wood could a woodchuck chuck ?

Why would anyone want to remove the sacs? That's not the way my granny used to cook varmint.

is4fun
23-12-2008, 18:01
ROAST BEAVER

BEAVER
Beaver meat is much like that of the muskrat. The flesh is dark, fine grained, tender and soft. This animal also has kernels or scent glands that are found between the forelegs, under the thighs and along the spine in the small of the back. They should be removed immediately after the skin has been removed, taking care not to cut into them. Beaver fat has a strong flavor and odor and should be completely stripped off before cooking. One way to make beaver more mild in flavor is to cover it with boiling water and add 1 tbsp each of baking soda and black pepper, then simmer for ten to fifteen ruin, drain and cook in the usual way.

ROAST BEAVER
Take pains to remove every speck of fat on the surface, soak in vinegar water overnight (1/4 cup vinegar to enough water to cover the meat)
Wash in cold water, place in roaster and cut several slits in the lean meat
Sprinkle with salt and pepper and put 4 strips of fresh side pork 1/2-inch thick over the slits and dust with a little flour
Put about 1/4 cup of water in pan and roast with lid on until half done
Add more water if needed to prevent pan from going dry
Cut very fine, equal parts of onion, celery and carrots, enough to fill one cup and sprinkle over the meat
Finish roasting with the lid off until meat is tender
Make gravy by adding water and flour to the juices and vegetables in the pan
Serve at once
Beaver should be cooked until the meat almost falls off the bones

Note: Roast beaver in moderate oven (35O F).

Qdos
23-12-2008, 18:13
[COLOR="DarkRed"]:nono: hahahahaha That's a groundhog aka woodchuck, not a beaver !!-LOL

It's been a while since I saw any quality beaver in these parts... :shame:

is4fun
23-12-2008, 18:14
BUT! My favorite beaver fortunately is located in the adult forums...:doh:

Qdos
23-12-2008, 18:24
Ah, the bearded clam... :ignore:

robertmf
23-12-2008, 20:35
BEAVER
Beaver meat is much like that of the muskrat.
:yuk::yuk::yuk:
Eating rodent is disgusting. Where do you think you are ... China ?

:yuk::barf:

robertmf
23-12-2008, 20:39
BUT! My favorite beaver fortunately is located in the adult forums...:doh:

For similar reasons, exclusive girls' school Beaver College changed name to Arcadia.

robertmf
23-12-2008, 20:44
ROAST BEAVER

BEAVER
Beaver meat is much like that of the muskrat. The flesh is dark, fine grained, tender and soft. This animal also has kernels or scent glands that are found between the forelegs, under the thighs and along the spine in the small of the back. They should be removed immediately after the skin has been removed, taking care not to cut into them. Beaver fat has a strong flavor and odor and should be completely stripped off before cooking. One way to make beaver more mild in flavor is to cover it with boiling water and add 1 tbsp each of baking soda and black pepper, then simmer for ten to fifteen ruin, drain and cook in the usual way.

I wasn't aware that beaver meat was eaten ... I thought only the beaver tail. Read the last sentence ... he must mean limburger cheese (which is another fine dining culinary story)

Fried Beaver Tail
2 Beaver tails
1/4 ts Pepper
1/2 c Vinegar
1/4 c Butter
1 tb Salt
1/4 c Sherry or cooking wine
2 ts Soda
1 ts Dry mustard
1/4 c Flour
1 ts Sugar
1/2 ts Salt
1 tb Worcestershire sauce

Skin beaver tails, clean thoroughly and wash well in a solution of salt water. Let soak overnight in cold water to cover, adding 1/2 cup vinegar and 1 tablespoon salt to water.
The next day, remove from the brine, wash, then cover with solution of 2 teasoons soda to 2 quarts water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Drain.
Dredge beaver tails in seasoned flour.
Melt butter in heavy fry pan and saute tails at low heat until tender.
Mix wine with mustard, sugar, garlic powder and Worcestershire sauce.
Add to beaver tails and simmer gently for 10 minutes, basting frequently.

From "Northern Cookbook" edited by Eleanor A. Ellis, Indian Affairs and Northern Development, Ottawa 1973.
A note received from Jimm Gordon:

Born and raised in the Big Belt Mountains of Montana, every winter fried beavertail was a culinary treat that would grace our table on a weekly basis. I was tickled to see a recipe for it in your bizarre foods section, but noted one area of the recipe that I thought needed clarification. One does not, in the usual fashion, "skin" a beavertail. The thick, scaley hide adheres too tightly to the gristly flesh for that to be a good option. Oldtime beaver eaters had a little trick that made getting the hide off a snap.

Stick a barbecue fork into the "meat" end of the beavertail, then "toast" it like a marshmallow over the woodstove or electric burner or other heat source. As it toasts, the hide puffs away from the meat like a slowly expanding balloon. After a few minutes you can strip it away and trim the edge, leaving you with a nice filet of greasy pink/white meat for your recipe.

The smell is not charming, but it's not as bad as some things. And the taste (and saved work) is worth it. Just thought I would share that tip.

Jimm Gordon

Qdos
23-12-2008, 20:50
They use the Coypu in France to make rather a lot of the proteins that get into meat pate products, and I don't mean Whiskas or Pedigree Chum... we are talking of the stuff you buy for human consumption... :yuk:

Bon apetit alors... :Loco:

robertmf
23-12-2008, 22:13
They use the Coypu in France to make rather a lot of the proteins that get into meat pate products, and I don't mean Whiskas or Pedigree Chum... we are talking of the stuff you buy for human consumption... :yuk:

Bon apetit alors... :Loco:

I wonder if the Frenchies are actually of Chinese descent?
Frogs legs, snails, goose livers ... not to mention the sin of horsemeat on the menu.

is4fun
23-12-2008, 23:07
Getting back to the original theme of the thread... I have never heard of horse fur being used as a fur coat to keep people warm. Pretty good for stringing violins and such but the theme of the thread is lost.

robertmf
24-12-2008, 00:13
Getting back to the original theme of the thread...

Doh :10475:What was the "original theme" of the thread ? Я забыл :11030:

:11581: Как сказат по русский **burp** ?

robertmf
24-12-2008, 00:18
I have never heard of horse fur being used as a fur coat to keep people warm. Pretty good for stringing violins and such ...

You haven't heard of horse fur being used as a fur coat because horses don't have fur. Horses have "horse hide" Horses have "horse hair"; but horses do not have fur.

(BTW In the music dept. I think you are confusing cat gut with horse tendon)