PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone flying to London this Saturday or Sunday?

lifespree
19-12-2008, 18:10
I guess there will be some of you heading back to the UK for the Christmas break - I have a friend needing an urgent favour - his Russian girlfriend is marooned in London because her passport had to come back here (without her - she was busy working there) to get a visa for Singapore - now she needs to return to Moscow but desperately needs her passport back in London.

If anyone could do this, he'll bring the passport to you here in Moscow and someone would meet you at Heathrow too. It was me who collected the passport from her so I can personally assure you that there's nothing illegal, dodgy or underhand about this - simply a logistics situation that needs to be resolved now.

Please PM if its possible and we can exchange details by phone.

Thanks

Qdos
19-12-2008, 18:19
I'm curious (as opposed to suspicious!) as to why she didn't apply for a visa for Singapore at the relevant consulate in London?

Surely she's breaking UK immigration protocol by sending her passport back to Moscow whilst remaining overseas? There are both consulates of Russia and Singapore in London, at Kensington and in Belgravia respectively... :suspect:

lifespree
19-12-2008, 18:37
Well-observed sir! Actually, that was my first question to her but the explanation she was given was that the Singaporean consulate in London said a tourist visa of the type she applied for can only be issued for a Russian passport holder at their consulate in Moscow. (I think other countries have a similar rule to this).

Not sure if she broke any UK immigration rules in being without her passport but did remind her she could have all sorts of problems if she got into some bother of one sort or another whilst in the UK and found herself "passportless" - she did keep a notarised copy of it and her UK visa just in case.

privet2009
24-12-2008, 00:21
The UK is one of the few countries where you don't need to carry ANY form of ID around - although this will change with the intro of Identity Cards. So that shouldn't be a problem.

Qdos
24-12-2008, 12:20
Not so, since the Police were given wider powers to stop and search, they're able to detain anyone who cannot prove by documentation on the spot that they have a right to be in the country...

The young lady in question would not have been in possession of her UK visa, nor a valid passport... and would have fallen squarely into the category of a 'potential undesirable' in a regime where the Police seldom take bribes to look the other way... :7525:

is4fun
24-12-2008, 21:16
It was me who collected the passport from her so I can personally assure you that there's nothing illegal, dodgy or underhand about this - simply a logistics situation that needs to be resolved now.

Please PM if its possible and we can exchange details by phone.

Thanks

Under international law the passport belongs to the state it is issued in. It is not her's to give away to anyone. It is her responsibility to keep it safe.