PDA

View Full Version : Zimbabweans in Russia.

is4fun
18-12-2008, 16:48
Is there a cholera epidemic in your country?

MickeyTong
18-12-2008, 18:29
Yes there is.

BBC NEWS | World | Africa | Cholera lays bare Zimbabwe's collapse (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7787819.stm)

Qdos
18-12-2008, 18:42
And Mugabe recently accused Britain of sending the Cholera there in the form of a biological weapon, as if anyone would choose an easily curable disease for such a purpose...... :(

is4fun
18-12-2008, 18:49
As Russia and China continue to prevent any agreement as to Regime change in Zimbabaway through the United Nations, why do they not at least provide humanitarian aide to stop this choleric epidemic in Zimbabaway? The Russians are providing Lebanon with 10 Mig-fighter jets at no cost but are not siding with the people of Zimbabaway. Is this an internal matter as Russia and China say? Hardly!!

Scrat335
18-12-2008, 21:06
Why should they? We all know what would happen to that humanitarian aid don't we?

The solutions to this problem I see is 1 of 2 things. Revolution or invasion. As we speak the US and Britain are barely making it against the freedom fighters of Afghanistan. France apparently has little interest in it as do most countries because of the threat of a quagmire and the cost.
Couple that with the fact that if either China or Russia were to do a regime change there the hypocrisy would be per standard practice, Britain and America would have a fit if China or Russia tried to solve the problem militarily.
It looks to me that the problem will have to be solved by the people there.

fenrir
18-12-2008, 22:18
Why should they? We all know what would happen to that humanitarian aid don't we?

So, are you against the giving of humanitarian aid to this country?

MickeyTong
18-12-2008, 22:31

As far as I know, aid agencies are not permitted to distribute stuff in the rural areas: the ruling party (ZANU-PF) do that, and opposition supporters (MDC) are excluded from the "government's" largesse. Even so...ZANU-PF voters are also human beings, despite being duped by their government (most have no access to information other than what the government tells them).

The average Zimbabwean is easy-going and peace-loving (maybe too much so): the violence found in many other African countries is absent from Zimbabwe, so I don't anticipate a revolution soon.

Scrat335
18-12-2008, 22:40

Certainly, it will just disappear into the pockets of the corrupt regime there. I could be wrong but I doubt it.

I think that the world community should strike a deal with China to finance an expeditionary force to invade and change the regime in power.

MickeyTong
18-12-2008, 22:49
Certainly, it will just disappear into the pockets of the corrupt regime there. I could be wrong but I doubt it.

I think that the world community should strike a deal with China to finance an expeditionary force to invade and change the regime in power.

China already has a presence in Zimbabwe - mostly retailing their cheapo low-quality products: they have no interest in regenerating Zimbabwe's industry/manufacturing, they just want a market for their crap and donate the occasional tractor.

elis
18-12-2008, 22:58
It's horrible.

Most of Africa is off-the-map when it comes to "geo-politics". No one's helping in Zimbabwe. Congo's bad off. Then of course there's the whole Darfur issue. And the list goes on.

Does anyone else see the irony that just yesterday "justice" has finally been meted to one of the men behind the Rwandan genocide? 15 years later!! Puh...lease.

This may certainly seem a far fetched connection, but in my mind it just goes to show so much of the hypocrisy of western -ism, -ization, -call it what you wish-ism.

We can send our troops in to bomb the s**t out of a country, but we don't do f**k-all to help out a population dying of a c u r a b l e disease.

pjw
18-12-2008, 23:02
As Russia and China continue to prevent any agreement as to Regime change in Zimbabaway through the United Nations, why do they not at least provide humanitarian aide to stop this choleric epidemic in Zimbabaway? The Russians are providing Lebanon with 10 Mig-fighter jets at no cost but are not siding with the people of Zimbabaway. Is this an internal matter as Russia and China say? Hardly!!

Please help me locate Zimbabaway in the atlas. Sorry ;)

MickeyTong
18-12-2008, 23:06

My house in Bulawayo, Zimbabwayayay

Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world! (http://wikimapia.org/#y=-20201328&x=28573417&z=18&l=0&m=a&v=2)

pjw
18-12-2008, 23:12

Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world! (http://wikimapia.org/#y=-20201328&x=28573417&z=18&l=0&m=a&v=2)

What are those black things?

MickeyTong
18-12-2008, 23:18
What are those black things?
Swimming pools.

elis
18-12-2008, 23:18

GET OUT!! (in the good sense.) That is totally cool. I've always looked up where I live. But not where others do. We should start a "thread-map" or "map-thread" (however you would like to call it) and see where we all live (or have lived) and see how we're all geographically connected.

(Amazing, isn't it, how all across the world neighborhoods--as seen from the sky--all look pretty similar....)

elis
18-12-2008, 23:20

YouTube- Bob Marley - Zimbabwe (Live In Concert)

Hope this helps. :)

pjw
18-12-2008, 23:24
Hope this helps. :)

Everyone knows Zimbabwe. It's just Zimbabaway that I couldn't seem to put my finger on so easily.

elis
18-12-2008, 23:29
Everyone knows Zimbabwe. It's just Zimbabaway that I couldn't seem to put my finger on so easily.

Well, you know, . . . it's zat . . . m . . b. . . way . . .

MickeyTong
18-12-2008, 23:37
301 Moved Permanently

mosaikmum
19-12-2008, 00:30

Thanks for this thread, is4fun.....I'm ashamed to say I'm quite ignorant of world politics and what's going on around the world :eh:.

I sponsor a girl in Zimbabwe. World Vision had to suspend work in her area for a couple of months earlier this year, but they're back in there now.

MickeyTong
19-12-2008, 01:10
http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/192/dsc0142ex8.jpg

On paper I'm a very rich man....

Wodin
19-12-2008, 01:17
The average Zimbabwean is easy-going and peace-loving (maybe too much so): the violence found in many other African countries is absent from Zimbabwe, so I don't anticipate a revolution soon.

Hardly. The average Zimbabwean is a Matabele. One of the most bloodthirsty tribes in Africa...a splinter from the Zulus of South Africa who escaped the wrath of the Zulus by committing genocide on the indigenous tribes of what is now Zim, only to be themselves finally defeated (bloodily) at Buluwayo, about 100 years later, by a certain chap called Rhodes (the dirty imperialist!)...hence the proper name of the place..Rhodesia. More recently, these average Zimbabweans, went on a rather long and pretty effective campaign of terror (some might call it struggle for independence, even though if anybody deserved independence it certainly wasn't the Matabele...it was the descendants of the few Shonas that survived their genocide) leading to their taking political control of the country, gifting it to Soviet Russia and, eventually, following the fall of the USSR, driving what used to be the breadbasket of Africa into a place of disease and starvation.

As to doing something to help the Zimbabweans...or the people of Darfur. ..what exactly are you proposing? Invasion? Bombing? Maybe a spot of political assasination?

Why on earth should we? The political leadership of Zimbabwe, while hardly friendly to Britain, can't cause us any harm....isn't harbouring our enemies.....and isn't suspected of having nukes. So the only thing necessary is talking to the baddies in charge there. Nope...military action there, which is probably the only effective way of forcing change, would not be legally, morally or politically justified.

Makes you wonder what Ian Smith would have made of all this.

pjw
19-12-2008, 02:45
Hardly. The average Zimbabwean is a Matabele. One of the most bloodthirsty tribes in Africa...a splinter from the Zulus of South Africa who escaped the wrath of the Zulus by committing genocide on the indigenous tribes of what is now Zim, only to be themselves finally defeated (bloodily) at Buluwayo, about 100 years later, by a certain chap called Rhodes (the dirty imperialist!)...hence the proper name of the place..Rhodesia. More recently, these average Zimbabweans, went on a rather long and pretty effective campaign of terror (some might call it struggle for independence, even though if anybody deserved independence it certainly wasn't the Matabele...it was the descendants of the few Shonas that survived their genocide) leading to their taking political control of the country, gifting it to Soviet Russia and, eventually, following the fall of the USSR, driving what used to be the breadbasket of Africa into a place of disease and starvation.

As to doing something to help the Zimbabweans...or the people of Darfur. ..what exactly are you proposing? Invasion? Bombing? Maybe a spot of political assasination?

Why on earth should we? The political leadership of Zimbabwe, while hardly friendly to Britain, can't cause us any harm....isn't harbouring our enemies.....and isn't suspected of having nukes. So the only thing necessary is talking to the baddies in charge there. Nope...military action there, which is probably the only effective way of forcing change, would not be legally, morally or politically justified.

Makes you wonder what Ian Smith would have made of all this.I wouldn't start trying to teach Mickey about Zimbabwe. After all he's lived there and not just read in text books. Also it's a bit rich describing people like they're still cannibals :9456:

mosaikmum
19-12-2008, 07:36

MSF responds to the worst cholera outbreak in years -

Zimbabwe: MSF responds to cholera outbreak (http://www.msf.org.au/from-the-field/field-news/field-news/article/zimbabwe-msf-responds-to-worst-cholera-outbreak-in-years/)

Wodin
19-12-2008, 08:20
I wouldn't start trying to teach Mickey about Zimbabwe. After all he's lived there and not just read in text books. Also it's a bit rich describing people like they're still cannibals :9456:

Sweety...so did I.

pjw
19-12-2008, 22:20
Dear Wodin,
Knowing you've lived in Zimbabaway changes my opinion of your comment and sorry that I said what I did in a tone. I was just trying to pin you on something. Forgive me please.

is4fun
20-12-2008, 00:02
I am sorry for the spelling error. I did mean Zimbabwe and no disrespect.

is4fun
20-12-2008, 21:50

That has already been done in another area of the world and has not proved to be very popular and even less so successful. Just supply them with the medical needs is all.

RIKO
21-12-2008, 02:45
Hardly. The average Zimbabwean is a Matabele.
.... More recently, these average Zimbabweans, went on a rather long and pretty effective campaign of terror (some might call it struggle for independence, even though if anybody deserved independence it certainly wasn't the Matabele...it was the descendants of the few Shonas that survived their genocide) leading to their taking political control of the country, gifting it to Soviet Russia and, eventually, following the fall of the USSR, ....

Just to correct a few facts: the "average Zimbabwean" is more likely to be a Shona since they comprise 80% of the population. In contrast, the Matabeles are a minority and no more than 20% of the population. Zanu PF (the ruling party) is essentially (though not exclusively) a Shona party, and they were aligned to and funded by the China/North Korea bloc during the independence war, as opposed to the Soviet Union/East Germany which funded the rival Matabele based guerilla movement. Zimbabwe African National Union - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. As a consequence, the USSR and subsequently Russia had relatively little influence in the region.