PDA

View Full Version : Mailmen in Moscow

polly
24-08-2004, 12:32
After roughly five years in this city, i have yet to witness a postal employee delivering the mail. For this reason, I am going with the gnome option.

Guest777
24-08-2004, 12:39
No, Polly, they are not gnomes... they are very angry and tired middle-aged women in blue coats with two heavy bags full of papers and letters.

polly
24-08-2004, 12:43
do they all have cloaks of invisibility like harry potter?

Surok
24-08-2004, 12:48
Nope - you just may sometimes mistake them for bomzhi with bags of bottles.

I'm not being gratuitously mean - there is a mailwoman who travels our local trolleybus. If I hadn't recognised the mail bags, I would have thought she was one of the local bottle graspers.

Today I walked past a block near my home - and there were two bags of mail dumped on the stoop. Including newspapers. It was extremely tempting to whip a copy of Kommersant - would have saved me a few roubles - but my conscience got the better of me : )

In UK we had a mailman who, when he couldn't find an address, or didn't managed to deliver all the items before the end of his shirt, would post them back in the mail box on the street....I guess it shows initiative, but meant that mail delivery was...erm...less than reliable. Maybe the GPO should use gnomes instead?

sfjohns67
24-08-2004, 14:23
Originally posted by Guest777
No, Polly, they are not gnomes... they are very angry and tired middle-aged women in blue coats with two heavy bags full of papers and letters. ...in the country where the AK-47 assault rifle was invented. Add one clock tower and stir.

polly
24-08-2004, 15:08
interesting sfjohns... but isn't "going postal" more or less a purely American phenomenon? I've never heard any "disgruntled mailman" stories in Russia, but I haven't been reading MK religiously. So while postmen and women around the world may be disgruntled, it's the American mailmen bustin caps in asses. Perhaps the gnomes somehow calm the Russian postal employees. Maybe the US should reconsider its postal gnome policy.

jheisel
24-08-2004, 16:35
Wait, you guys actually get real paper mail? What the hell year is this?

Random
24-08-2004, 16:38
I get proper real paper mail despite my best efforts not to put the right post (zip) code.

Some of it is less than a few weeks old as well ! Average seems to be about 2 weeks.

No idea how it gets to the mailbox though .....

I voted gnomes !!

:)

Braders
24-08-2004, 18:04
In 11 years i have never clapped eyes on the Postwoman/man!

Infact i have never clapped eyes on a Milkman either?

DPG
24-08-2004, 18:16
Braders - I haven't layed eyes on a milkman for the last ten years or so- and 7 of those were in the UK!!

Never ever seen a postman here though - was always under the impression that the mail was delivered by heron! Actually, last month when my landlord came to collect the rent, he passed me a letter addressed to me - my eyes nearly popped out with amazement, mainly because I hadn't actually given my address to anyone!!

Strange things are afoot indeed!!;)

Random
25-08-2004, 10:05
Originally posted by Braders
In 11 years i have never clapped eyes on the Postwoman/man!

Infact i have never clapped eyes on a Milkman either?

Yeah it always upsets me that there is never a milk float to get a ride home on at 5am in the morning !

Plenty of people on horse back though !!

veejay
25-09-2004, 04:01
polly....

like you, i'm going with the gnome theory. they must skulk about and wait for us unsuspecting recipients to pass out. i've yet to see a postal person in this country after more than 5 years here!

and yes...we yanks 'go postal' -- that is, if mail is not delivered in a timely fashion -- ie., less than 6 months after a parcel was sent and delivered -- we start bustin' caps in asses...

if you ever see a delivery person who is not a gnome, phone me. my life shall be complete!!!

Surok
15-10-2004, 20:08
Veejay, come to Sokol around 9am for your mail(wo)man spotting!

polly
22-10-2004, 17:24
!!! are we neighbors?

Kseniya
22-10-2004, 17:29
Thanks God mail became faster during last few years...because before when I used to send letters to Europe it took a month for a letter to reach an addressee...now it takes about 10-12 days maximum...!

seedub
22-10-2004, 17:51
The main reason I can say that I have seen the mail woman in the case of the building I live in is becuase my fiance's babushka recieves a pension every month thats delivered to our home and must be signed by her.

DPG
23-10-2004, 17:32
Was thinking the other day - how do they even get into the building to put the post into the pigeon holes??

Either they have a key that opens every domofon on their post round -or- some random unlucky resident of every building gets woken up at some unseemly hour of the morning by the postman buzzing their domofon to let them in...

plastique
23-10-2004, 23:29
i saw a gigantic Pochta truck today...does that sort of count?

legend
14-11-2004, 19:52
once I got a christmas present six months later.