And... erm... not VolgAgrad? :badclown:

:11629: It does make one wonder ... :alien:

Qdos
13-01-2009, 23:06
Stalin is most probably turning in his tomb... :clown:

robertmf
13-01-2009, 23:49
Stalin is most probably turning in his tomb... :clown:

I didn't notice him lying next to the waxy one ... Did moustaches get a proper tomb or was he just stuffed into the Wall next to Gagarin ?

Little Gagarin is another good story. Talk about a classic example of "Don't drink and drive". I should nominate him for a darwinawards.com.

OT **when is** the waxy one going to get a proper internment ? Any rumours ? Will the orthodox have him ?

Questions Questions and no answers for the new year :-PPP :trampoline:

alterego
14-01-2009, 05:50
There's no legal entity governing the English language so it's whatever you want it to be.
Although it does help if at least one person agrees with you. Do a google search and see how many hits you get. I'm betting that google will correct your spelling but you will still get a high number of hits.

Qdos
14-01-2009, 10:54
There's no legal entity governing the English language so it's whatever you want it to be...

Tell that to the teachers who used to rap my knuckles at school... :suspect:

http://i39.tinypic.com/207vkti.png

J.D.
14-01-2009, 11:14
Tell that to the teachers who used to rap my knuckles at school... :suspect:

Is that the same guys who were sticking it to little boys?

Qdos
14-01-2009, 11:31

Not where I was educated, but if you wish to unburden yourself feel free... :rofl:

J.D.
14-01-2009, 12:48
Not where I was educated, but if you wish to unburden yourself feel free... :rofl:

I don't know . . . you probably have hair on your ass now.
Thanks for offering though.

robertmf
14-01-2009, 16:45
There's no legal entity governing the English language so it's whatever you want it to be.
Although it does help if at least one person agrees with you. Do a google search and see how many hits you get. I'm betting that google will correct your spelling but you will still get a high number of hits.

[-]Volgagrad[/-]

Did you happen to notice a lot of Russian-red strikeouts on your high school English class compositions ?-:nono:

Isn't the de facto governing entity for the English language the OED ?

robertmf
14-01-2009, 16:47

**snicker**

Qdos
14-01-2009, 19:13
http://i39.tinypic.com/2njzips.png

Sorry, but you're right - I don't have an ar$e like a choirboy, if those are actually your preference... :D

mk182
19-11-2010, 07:12
In Russian its common to ad an O or an I inbetween the two original nouns when making a word out of two nouns. ЗеленОград, ВладИвосток.

Since in Russian nouns usually can't modify each other you need an adjective. In cases like Калининград or Ленинград or Екатиринбург you don't see the O because калинин/екатерин are possessive adjectives just like мамин кот or Марьина Роща.

I don't think it was written like СталинОград because the names Ленин/ Сталин already poses a short adjective ending "ИН" and adding a second ин would make it redundant. I guess thats why you always see it as Мозволей Ленина, for example, as opposed to Ленинин Мозволей. It just sounds silly :P

So its not so strange... overall. Though there are always exceptions, like with everything else in Russia(n)!! :)