PDA

View Full Version : Winter Coats

MissAnnElk
13-12-2008, 12:22
Mine are dying. One has a shredded lining. The other is too big and the buttons keep falling off. Even my lovely fur coat is really too big and the wind blows up it. Brrr.

I see so many pretty women's winter coats on the street. I happened to stick my head in a shop yesterday that had coats, the kind I like on sale.

What I have in my head is something knee-length, with a synthetic exterior . . . something that is water resistant. Down filled ideally, with fur trim on the collar/hood.

What I saw in the shop, while marked down as much as 30%, was still in the 22,000 to 37,000 ruble range. That's around $1,000 for a coat! I'd be willing to go $250-$450, but come on! Is this what the Russians pay for that?

Katrine L
13-12-2008, 20:38
Currently there are sales everywhere and definetely you can find cheaper. Try Evropeyskiy Mall near Kievskaya. Today I've seen there a pretty winter coat for 11000r only (at Mone shop).

Pinsleepe
13-12-2008, 22:43
Ok, this might be a random thought, but I saw some pretty down-filled coats in Reserved (prices around 1500-2000 roubles)- you can find the shop in the Atrium, near Kurskaya:
Атриум | Главная страница (http://www.atrium.su/rus/index.wbp)

It's not your top-class Dolce-Gabbana shop, but they have pretty things :)

annasophia
14-12-2008, 13:27
Go here: Konkovo rynok. It's winter coat wonderland.

Not centrally located, you will have to make a 30 minute trip down the Metro orange line, but worth it.

The rynok is right at the Metro exit. 2 buildings, all indoors. More winter coats than you could ever imagine. Millions of them.

All of the vendors are Russian (well mostly) so the rynok remains intact. Good quality high end merchandise. I have bought many things at this rynok and can recommend it highly. Took a friend there last winter and after all day of looking at coats till we were cross-eyed she finally bought a beauty from Germany, down filled, microfiber with snaps and a zipper, ankle length, beautiful finish and details, $300.

There are two large long buildings at this rynok. It's a day trip to see the whole place. Boots, scarves, furs, coats, evening gowns, hats, great stuff. May be the best rynok left in Moscow today.

Go there. You will find the perfect coat.

MissAnnElk
14-12-2008, 17:05
Go here: Konkovo rynok. It's winter coat wonderland.

Not centrally located, you will have to make a 30 minute trip down the Metro orange line, but worth it.

The rynok is right at the Metro exit. 2 buildings, all indoors. More winter coats than you could ever imagine. Millions of them.

All of the vendors are Russian (well mostly) so the rynok remains intact. Good quality high end merchandise. I have bought many things at this rynok and can recommend it highly. Took a friend there last winter and after all day of looking at coats till we were cross-eyed she finally bought a beauty from Germany, down filled, microfiber with snaps and a zipper, ankle length, beautiful finish and details, $300.

There are two large long buildings at this rynok. It's a day trip to see the whole place. Boots, scarves, furs, coats, evening gowns, hats, great stuff. May be the best rynok left in Moscow today.

Go there. You will find the perfect coat.

THAT's more like it. I can do that. A metro ride is a pleasure. Especially if there are bargains! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

MissAnnElk
15-12-2008, 16:27
THAT's more like it. I can do that. A metro ride is a pleasure. Especially if there are bargains! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

Well, I went down there today to check it out. WOW. It is overwhelming. I was intimidated by the lack of posted prices (assuming that bargaining is required), so will return another day with Mr Elk. But wow. Thanks for the tip.

:10806:

annasophia
15-12-2008, 23:28
Well, I went down there today to check it out. WOW. It is overwhelming. I was intimidated by the lack of posted prices (assuming that bargaining is required), so will return another day with Mr Elk. But wow. Thanks for the tip.

:10806:

See anything you liked? :iagree:

In the second building toward the back there are a lot of dublanka vendors. Now I don't like dublanka because they are so heavy, but they do last forever and are the warmest coat money can buy. Good ones of long length and with a hood should start around $500.

MissAnnElk
16-12-2008, 08:41
See anything you liked? :iagree:

In the second building toward the back there are a lot of dublanka vendors. Now I don't like dublanka because they are so heavy, but they do last forever and are the warmest coat money can buy. Good ones of long length and with a hood should start around $500.

Oh, I saw plenty of things that are what I'm looking for. Here's the dilemma . . . I'm not sure what size I am anymore (and if Russian sizes run like European sizes, keeping in mind that the Italian sizes are something altogether different . . .). it looked like things were sized 36/38/40/42, etc. So in these little "shops" they cannot possibly have every size of every model. Maybe that coat looks interesting, but is it my size? Don't want to make them go to a lot of trouble until I have a ballpark idea of the price.

Do I walk in and say, "Here is what I want to spend" to start things off? Or do I try things on and then say, "I'll give you X for it"?

Yeah, I have an American friend who worked in Russia about 10 years ago. She spent a lot of time in Siberia and says that her Russian colleagues all swore that a sheepskin coat is the warmest thing. But I agree with you about the weight. I have another Russian friend who says, "Get down-filled . . . you're in and out of the Metro . . . you won't sweat like a farm animal when inside."

annasophia
16-12-2008, 09:54
As a foreigner I expect to be ripped off to some extent. Just goes with the territory.

For sizes, there is no way to know except to try it on. Numerical sizing from umpteen different countries makes it impossible to know whether or not something will fit just because it says 42.

If you find something you like and it fits, ask how much it is. Most of the vendors in that rynok don't bargain much. Sometimes if it is a slow day and they need a sale or it's an item they haven't been able to move, you might get them down. But my experience there is that they stick to their prices pretty much. If I say it's too much and I can't afford it and I walk away and they just shrug their shoulders and watch me go--they're not coming down on the price.

On the other hand, most of the goods there are very good quality. Not all the usual Turkish and Chinese knock off crap. A lot of it European. European made goods are much better quality than Turkish stuff and it's going to cost more. The vendor paid more for it too. You want a good winter coat you're going to pay at least a couple of hundred bucks. In any country.

I have shopped in that rynok on numerous occasions and my Russian can best be described as ~deplorable~. I just know how high I'm willing to go for something I like, want, and need. If it's out of my price range, well, then I don't buy it. I might make an offer for less than the asking price, and hope for the best.

(Admittedly I never really did get the hang of drop dead bargaining. I'm never able to play that poker game of how-low-will-they-go.)

MissAnnElk
16-12-2008, 10:08
As a foreigner I expect to be ripped off to some extent. Just goes with the territory.

For sizes, there is no way to know except to try it on. Numerical sizing from umpteen different countries makes it impossible to know whether or not something will fit just because it says 42.

If you find something you like and it fits, ask how much it is. Most of the vendors in that rynok don't bargain much. Sometimes if it is a slow day and they need a sale or it's an item they haven't been able to move, you might get them down. But my experience there is that they stick to their prices pretty much. If I say it's too much and I can't afford it and I walk away and they just shrug their shoulders and watch me go--they're not coming down on the price.

On the other hand, most of the goods there are very good quality. Not all the usual Turkish and Chinese knock off crap. A lot of it European. European made goods are much better quality than Turkish stuff and it's going to cost more. The vendor paid more for it too. You want a good winter coat you're going to pay at least a couple of hundred bucks. In any country.

I have shopped in that rynok on numerous occasions and my Russian can best be described as ~deplorable~. I just know how high I'm willing to go for something I like, want, and need. If it's out of my price range, well, then I don't buy it. I might make an offer for less than the asking price, and hope for the best.

(Admittedly I never really did get the hang of drop dead bargaining. I'm never able to play that poker game of how-low-will-they-go.)

Okay . . . I had this image in my head of you being a fluent Russian speaker. That changes things. My Russian is probably comparable to yours. I can do numbers and colors and small nice-ities. Okay. That helps. :-)

Yes, I agree the items looked very nice there. This is clearly a great place to shop for a lot of things. I was disappointed to see a lot of things in the 20,000 ruble range (where there were price tags), but I also saw cheaper. But I don't expect the sellers to give stuff away.

When I have been able to speak the language, I have found good success with agreeing with the vendor that the product is good, the price is good, and they should get that price . . . but from someone else. All with a smile. Often the price does drop then if it is going to. But I'm not sophisticated enough to say those sorts of things in Russian. And, as always, you have to be prepared to either pay or walk away.

At the end of the day, a good price is one both seller and buyer are happy with.

No, I will definately go back. And certainly buy something.

Thanks so much for your help, by the way. I never would have gone out there if you hadn't told me about it.

annasophia
16-12-2008, 10:44
Well, I went down there today to check it out. WOW. It is overwhelming.

Just conversationally....I don't know how long you've been in Moscow, but there used to be hundreds of rynoks, maybe thousands.....

But most of them had foreign vendors, predominantly Azeris. Azeris would sell anything to anybody any time of day or night. They were brilliant. Last one, on a top shelf, not your size--no problem. They'd get you one and have your money in their hand if it was the last thing they did. The Russians ran them out of the country and two years ago and passed a law against foreigners selling things. A lot of stuff disappeared when they left. Food prices also soared.

But surely the most amazing super !WOW! rynok in Moscow was Cherkizovsky. The place was at least 40 acres of every imaginable thing under the sun sold by every imaginable nationality. It was a den of iniquity, I loved it. Must have been there 5 or 6 times and never managed to see 10% of the place it was so huge. Easy to get lost too, I often thought it would be a great money making idea to print a map of the place because once you got to the inner streets it wasn't easy to figure how to get out. Absolutely massive. Luzhkov had it demolished after a couple of 'racially motivated' bombings (aka, somebody coveted the land it was on). After Cherkizovsky closed Moscow was never the same....

The reason Konkovo has survived I think is because it's one of the few rynoks that's almost completely Russian. I think it will remain in business too, especially now that credit for construction has evaporated. Live to shop another day.

MissAnnElk
16-12-2008, 11:01
Just conversationally....I don't know how long you've been in Moscow, but there used to be hundreds of rynoks, maybe thousands.....

But surely the most amazing super !WOW! rynok in Moscow was Cherkizovsky.

I just celebrated my One Year Anniversary in Moscow.

And, interestingly, I just got a message from another friend who says Metro Cherkizovskaya is the place to go coat shopping.

annasophia
16-12-2008, 11:32
Meh.

The rynok itself is long gone. At Cherkizovsky Metro there is an overpriced yarmarka with nothing of interest. Across the street (where there used to be a great fur and leather rynok) they built a small shopping building with little stores, expensive, no selection, not worth a look. Meh again.

Across the railroad tracks from Cherkizovsky there is another fairly sizeable clothing building with all the same uninteresting overpriced stuff. Don't bother, really. Konkovo is 100 times better.

kazachka
18-12-2008, 23:18
Meh.

The rynok itself is long gone. At Cherkizovsky Metro there is an overpriced yarmarka with nothing of interest. Across the street (where there used to be a great fur and leather rynok) they built a small shopping building with little stores, expensive, no selection, not worth a look. Meh again.

Across the railroad tracks from Cherkizovsky there is another fairly sizeable clothing building with all the same uninteresting overpriced stuff. Don't bother, really. Konkovo is 100 times better.

Cherkizovsky was halfway decent til they ran out most vendors 2 yrs ago w/ the immigration law change.