PDA

View Full Version : Sh*t TV format

is4fun
11-12-2008, 01:03
I've noticed many popular web sites restrict access to thier video content. I think they identify the ISP and block access. How does one quikly get around this idiotic scenario as it is obvious they are trying to re-establish advertising revenues much like current television revenue plans have done since the beginning of TV and radio. (The main station disseminates the main news and all it's affiliates provide advertising revenue along with local news to thier listeners. The same business strategy but transfered to the internet. I understand this is a simplistic scenario but the main point is: How do we remain to receive free access to information? Any ideas?

kapione
11-12-2008, 09:12
Im having the same trouble... I have excellent sites , but they say "unavailable in your area" or "only available in the United States"

there is no longer free unrestricted access on the internet

herald1973
11-12-2008, 09:17
First of all I'm not an expert, but reading through some info, I recall reading about some programs/sites. That can hide or give you a different ISP or IP address. Which maybe could be useful to solve the problem you're having. Tonight I will check where I found this info.

Herald

elis
11-12-2008, 11:15
I wonder if any of the info on this thread might help:

http://www.expat.ru/forum/computers-electronics-gadgets/68105-proxy-servers.html

Or is it a completely different issue?

is4fun
11-12-2008, 19:17
Is Russia starting to restrict access to various sites on the internet? This was never Russia's policy in the past.

Strider
11-12-2008, 19:56
it's not russian ISPs who block it, but website/service owners decide to do this for some reason... maybe they don't enough bandwidth to other countries, or maybe it has to do something with legislation, or they might want to use geo targeting for advertisement, it might be any reason

is4fun
11-12-2008, 21:24
it's not russian ISPs who block it, but website/service owners decide to do this for some reason... maybe they don't enough bandwidth to other countries, or maybe it has to do something with legislation, or they might want to use geo targeting for advertisement, it might be any reason

Thanks Strider

fazalalam
23-12-2008, 11:03
count me in the list of ppl banging heads on walls! i m the victim of the same time wasting procedures. i even tried adding the restricted sites into trusted sites but didn't get milk! so any good suggestion besides thinking 'why me'?

well,max
27-03-2009, 00:58
I suggest you try the Tor software (available for both Win/Mac OS). Just log on to: wwwtorprojectorg to download the app. But note however, that the app will only work with Firefox so you may need to download that as well. If you don't have it installed, first go ahead and download the browser, and then proceed with the Tor app. installation. When the installation wizard asks you for permission to install a Tor button, go ahead and give it. It's a strictly Firefox-relevant plug-in. When you're done, launch both Firefox and Tor wait until the Tor logs on to the network (the onion icon will turn green when it does), then enable Tor by clicking on the Tor button in the browser's (FF) bottom right corner. Now you're ready to roll but thass not all, folks. To view the US-restricted content, you will obviously need to select a US-based relay client from the list of available relay options. You will also need to go into the Tor settings to enable flash and streaming video content, that'll otherwise be blocked by the app. The bottomline is it's going to be somewhat slower and shakier than any direct session would natch, but it sure beats sitting and staring at those Dear-John messages. LOL. Don't be fooled into thinking you can get away with any hanky-panky by using the app. however. It's still perfectly traceable, all of it, if need be. But do give it a shot and see if it works for you. Least it does for me is allow me to pull off multiple free-user downloads via the sphincter-police-type sites like rapidshare and similar.

minnabruna
05-04-2009, 19:49
Each time you go online, you are assigned an IP address. This tells the website where you are, typically down the the town or even neighborhood. In order to circumvent this, tor may not work,a s tor does not guarantee you a US IP address, which is required for many of the sites you are talking about. I recommend Findnot, as they et you choose the country and are pretty fast (using a proxy always slows down your connection at least a little). If you do not want to pay for a service, there are lots of free proxy programs and information online, although they can be a pain to use. I recommend starting with download.com.