PDA

View Full Version : Teaching position in Moscow but part-time, with a language school?

Tasmania
03-12-2008, 05:33
I have been looking around for a position as an English EFL teacher in Moscow for quite some time now. Indeed, as all the threads imply, there seems to be no end to the possibilities available.

My problem is that I am looking for a teaching position with a reputable (or half reputable!) language school, but where I can do less than the "usual contract deal" of 30 or, say, 24 tuition hours a week.

Does anybody know where I could apply for a teaching position and still get visa support and possibly accomodation assistance upon arrival, but where I can sign an agreement or contract with a weekly workload of about 10 to 16 tuition hours, instead of the usual deal of between 24 to 30 hours? I have various reasons for wanting this arrangement: not least, I am completing a long-distance-learning degree and want more time for this.

This is a real sticking point: I'm not having any luck finding anything suitable on the internet. I live outside Russia at the moment.

I have a TEFL cert., university degree, experience, native speaker, etc.

Any tips really appreciated. Cheers.

leelee
03-12-2008, 05:47
my only advice would be to e-mail the schools offering your terms--- 16 hours etc---- the sticking point will be visa support plus accommodation--- none of the big schools would be prepared to offer this without getting you to sign a full contract--- the big schools are English First and Language Link

good Luck

Lee

Tarpa
04-12-2008, 20:43
Of course there are many opportunities! You could check also in English schools in Moscow like British International School, Anglo-American School and others you would find in this forum (check in the "children" section). Also, there are many kindergardens with native speakers, also in the same section - like Little Angels and English Playschool at Leninsky prospect (if you don't find their phone number, you can write to me at mirsvetel@mail.ru). And you also can look for language courses that are not that famous, not like EnglishFirst.

Concerning visa requirements. There are also many opportunities. If you make a good agreement with a company, for example, English language courses, they can help you issue a visa even though you work less. Millions of foreigners are working this way in Moscow, often on less legitamete gounds. Companies are interested in English speakers and would gladly increase the number of hours for document purposes if they could receive a good contract.

Also, you can find a job with a Russian family as a part-time teacher or even several families. Personally, our family will be looking for a native speaker teacher some time later for sure. Probably from September 09 (and we could make an offer in your case with visa support but September sounds too late for you). Also, many Russian families have family-run businesses and could help you with the visa.

I am absolutely sure that the number of hours (which are less in your case) absolutely are not a reason not to get a Russian visa! For good or for bad, this is the way it happens in Russia.

If you are unable to find such a family on your own, you can contact a local agency that hires nannies, babysitters and other personnel for families from abroad. This service is very popular and is widely practiced.

If you have any questions, please contact me via email as I don't visit often this forum.

Sorry for any mistakes, i am not a native speaker.

Good luck with your search! I am sure you will find a job you need in Moscow, there are really so many opportunities.

BritishTeacher
06-03-2009, 11:24
normally if you do 10 - 16 hours schools wont help you with visa or accommodation. BKC helps you with visa if u do 20 hours and accommodation too if you do 24

Bels
03-04-2009, 19:35
my only advice would be to e-mail the schools offering your terms--- 16 hours etc---- the sticking point will be visa support plus accommodation--- none of the big schools would be prepared to offer this without getting you to sign a full contract--- the big schools are English First and Language Link

good Luck

Lee

Sorry but the only big schools are BKC or Language Link. English First cannot afford a native speakers income requirements. Compare the income packages.