PDA

View Full Version : empires

Ned Kelly
17-08-2004, 08:17
i was trying to find something positive in the current european olympic malaise so i thought i'd rearrange the gold tally according to 19th century empires.

so we have:

the british empire: 7 gold (australia 6, south africa 1)

the russian empire: 3 gold (ukraine 2, russia 1)

the austro-hungarian empire: 3 gold (italy 2, hungary 1)

the ottoman empire: 3 gold (turkey 2, greece 1)

the german empire: 2 gold (germany)

obviously once poland wins a gold it'll be a russia-germany 60:40 split.

kind of almost makes the brits lookrespectable ;) ...still doesn;t do anything about chinese dominance though!

Sidney Bliss
17-08-2004, 09:27
You need to get yourself a tamagocci or something Ned.

pengwn9
17-08-2004, 09:35
Patriotism aside, the summer olympics are a crashing bore. Yachting, Greco-Roman wrestling :snoring: pommel horse jumping, womens weight-lifting. Who can stay awake for this stuff? Give me a rerun of Wheel-of-Fortune any day.

Now the winter olympics--there's some action! Downhill skiing at 75 MPH, skelaton sledding, high octane hockey games--there's some REAL a**kickng excitement.

Wake me up when the synchronized swimming is over.

Sidney Bliss
17-08-2004, 09:37
I'm all for a compromised rules games. Women's weight lifting on ice gets my vote every time.

Ned Kelly
17-08-2004, 09:40
Originally posted by Sidney Bliss
You need to get yourself a tamagocci or something Ned.

i've already got my invisible dog that sits next to the rubbish bin here.

pengwn9
17-08-2004, 09:42
I'm all for a compromised rules games. Women's weight lifting on ice gets my vote every time.

Great idea, Sid! We could have them lift weights in those cute little figure skating outfits.

sfjohns67
17-08-2004, 09:45
Women's power-lifting can be fun - try to spot the one who looks the most like an actual woman and rate the moustaches on the rest.

Col. Brokov
17-08-2004, 11:27
C'mon you guys! The SUMMER OLYMIPICS! Women's gymnastics. N'uf said.

DPG
17-08-2004, 11:50
Originally posted by sfjohns67
Women's power-lifting can be fun - try to spot the one who looks the most like an actual woman and rate the moustaches on the rest.

When women do olympic lifts it is the only time you can shout "nice snatch" to a complete stranger and not get a slap in the face!!!:p

sir Gay
17-08-2004, 12:03
Originally posted by pengwn9
Patriotism aside, the summer olympics are a crashing bore. Yachting, Greco-Roman wrestling :snoring: pommel horse jumping, womens weight-lifting. Who can stay awake for this stuff? Give me a rerun of Wheel-of-Fortune any day.

Now the winter olympics--there's some action! Downhill skiing at 75 MPH, skelaton sledding, high octane hockey games--there's some REAL a**kickng excitement.

Wake me up when the synchronized swimming is over.

maybe they should think about adding two biggest entertaining perversions to the olympic programme: grass hockey and ice ballet?:)

peyote
17-08-2004, 12:09
Originally posted by Ned Kelly
i was trying to find something positive in the current european olympic malaise so i thought i'd rearrange the gold tally according to 19th century empires.

so we have:

the british empire: 7 gold (australia 6, south africa 1)

the russian empire: 3 gold (ukraine 2, russia 1)

the austro-hungarian empire: 3 gold (italy 2, hungary 1)

the ottoman empire: 3 gold (turkey 2, greece 1)

the german empire: 2 gold (germany)

obviously once poland wins a gold it'll be a russia-germany 60:40 split.

kind of almost makes the brits lookrespectable ;) ...still doesn;t do anything about chinese dominance though!
if you wanna crush chinese dominance make a medals/population list. it's no big deal if you can produce a gold medal out of a billion, but a gold medal out of 1 million is a different story i guess... well, maybe not... :rolleyes:

in such a list my country would be beating a bunch of empires... i bet midas wouldn't like that... ;)
i saw that list for the sydney 2000 games... australia was in 4th, cuba in 5th! :D

i'm happy with that ;)

pengwn9
17-08-2004, 12:11
Grass hockey=La crosse. Not a bad game in the off season absence of real hockey.

Ice ballet=figure skating. Already got it.

Summer olympics still a sleeper. Check the news. They can't give the tickets away for free in Athens.

Random
17-08-2004, 12:17
Part of the prob is the bubbles didn't allow any airline to expand its regular timetable ...all flights are rammo with people ..just going on holiday etc ..try getting a flight to go for the games nahh

Lets face facts people we are dealing with the bubbles here !

DJ Biscuit
17-08-2004, 12:19
I've seen bigger crowds at Tottenham Vs. Preston North End on a rainy Wednesday night in November!

Bubbles :D Haven't heard that in a while.

But then would you watch any of those 'sports' normally. I mean if they had clay pigeon shooting regularly on TV on a Saturday night would you stay in for it?

Random
17-08-2004, 12:22
I bet you've watched Tractor pulling on Eurosport though ........

;)

pengwn9
17-08-2004, 12:26
Good suggestion, Pinky. Bubble blowing.

Topless bubbleblowing. On the beach perhaps? A new olympic sport. Gold goes to the one who can blow the hardest.

Ignia
17-08-2004, 12:31

Didn't mean to disappoint you Sid but we don't lift weights on ice...Sorry :)

And, guys, there IS a difference between powerlifting and weightlifting

maddog
17-08-2004, 12:31
Pengwn--will you be a contestant in the topless bubble blowing? Could be quite interesting. 8.5 perhaps? Maybe a 10.0.

Sidney Bliss
17-08-2004, 12:48
Originally posted by Ignia
Didn't mean to disappoint you Sid but we don't lift weights on ice...Sorry :)

And there I was thinking it was a real sport ;)

Random
17-08-2004, 13:00
Good suggestion, Pinky. Bubble blowing.

Topless bubbleblowing. On the beach perhaps? A new olympic sport. Gold goes to the one who can blow the hardest.

Bubbles = Bubble & Squeak = Greek

Hmmmm You sure you want to have a go at that sport now ......

Sure there is a "Don't mind a spot of greek (fnar fnar)" gag in here somewhere ! :p

peyote
17-08-2004, 13:12
And there I was thinking it was a real sport ;) baaaaaaaad boy! :D

Zephyr
17-08-2004, 13:16
Hell, Iraq beat Portugal, go figure.

DJ Biscuit
17-08-2004, 13:33
Greece beat the grown up Portugal. I must say though I enjoyed watching Iraq beat them.

sir Gay
17-08-2004, 17:58
La crosse. Not a bad game in the off season absence of real hockey.

or in your case - in the off season of real men?