PDA

View Full Version : what is the easiest way to stay in Russia to be with my russian boyfriend?

Steph
30-11-2008, 15:53
hi, i have been reading all yous' intricate and helpful posts and replies but i still cannot find the answer to my question:
basically, is it worth me and my russian boyfriend getting married to make it easier for me to stay in russia?
i am a uk citizen and at the moment i get a visa and when it expires i go back to uk, apply for a new visa, then come back.
this is ok, a little hassle, but do-able, but long term i would be up for getting married if it would make things easier and cheaper in the long run

before i get a flood of replies of 'marriage should be for love' etc etc - yes of course it should be. we love each other, that is a fact. it is not a case of me marrying for citizenshiip - it is the other way round. i put up with being in russia and abandoning my own rodina for this. it is just that i do not see marriage as absolutely necessary in a loving relationship. but if it would give me instant citizenship and stop the constant need for environment-destroying airfares and endless visa forms, then it would be a good thing to do.

if we get married do i still need to do the temporary residence permit thing?

cheers for your help! :)

snejanka
03-12-2008, 17:38
Dear Steph,

Regarding your question whether you need temporary residence permit (TRP) after you get married, the answer is YES. I have just received mine after 5 months waiting period and can give you all the details. Few words about me, I am Bulgarian, currently living in Moscow, married to Russian, who is from another Russian city. If you are planning to live in Moscow and your to-be-husband is from the capital and has the so called "propiska" there, then the problems are less. You have to check where exactly you are supposed to submit your documents (it should be where you are registered). In our case we had to present:
1. Copy of the passport (translated and legalized by Russian translation agency).
2. Copy of the marriage certificate (as we got married in Bulgaria we had to translate and legalize it by Russian translation agency here in Moscow).
3. Medical certificates (valid only for 3 months; there are clinics you should attend in a strict consequence, details will be given by the federal migration service where you are applying).
4. Certificate that you have no criminal history record (I received mine in Bulgaria, then translated and legalized it here).
5. Legalized copy of apartment ownership document where you are to be registered (as we are renting an apartment, the owner gave his consent, we were really lucky).
6. An attestation less than one month old that the apartment has all its amenities paid.
7. 4 passport photos 30-40 mm, coloured, matt.
8. 2 filled-in residence forms (I received mine where I applied for TRP)
9. Bank invoice of paid government tax in amount of 400 RUB.
10. Copy of the spouses passport.
As far as I remember that was all. You should go and check all these details, do not rely on telephone calls, as nobody is answering the phone and you should be prepared to wait long till you get the TRP, it takes up to 6 months. Another thing is who will accept your documents as in my case we went through a horrible struggle for a month with a clerk who did not like some of the documents (although everything was fine!)...and at the end we gave the documents to another clerk who was sitting in another room.
In order to check if the TRP is ready you have to go there (not call them), when it is ready then you receive a stamp in your passport where it is written that you have TRP from...till... (it is for 3 years). After one year, however, you can apply for "vid na jitelstvo" (I presume in English it is called permanent residence permit) and then your life will be relieved :)). With your TRP you can stay in Russia without visa but each time you want to leave the country you have to apply for visa (this inconvenience is only during this one year before you receive PRP). There are other details as well but, in any case, it would be good to have a look at the website (only in Russian): . :: (http://www.fmsmoscow.ru/)
I hope that I could help with information, wish you good luck :)) And do not give up, it looks very difficult but it is not unconquerable :)

mitam77
05-12-2008, 12:26
Check your PM -Steph

VITOLIER
18-12-2008, 11:35
Snejanka thanks for your contribution. May I ask you whether you are male or female. Unfortunately I cannot decypher the website you mention at the end of your message.

Thanks

VITOLIER

alisha.88
22-03-2009, 14:22
Dear Steph (or anyone that can help).. I have a huge stress at the moment in regards to travelling to Russia. My boyfriend is Russian and so far I have been travelling to see him on tourist visas. However, I have been told by tourist agencies that on applying for my fifth tourist visa I am most likely to be rejected! I know that one can obtain a private invitation but they take so long to get in Russia as I'm sure you're aware! So do you know the best route for me to take now? Is it false that I will get rejected or shall I continue applying for tourist visas? thanks.

DDT
23-03-2009, 00:32
You could always enroll in a school like one of those institutes that teaches Russian. They usually have visa support services and with a student visa you can stay while you study even when not full time, plus you can work a limited number of hours.

Ian G
30-03-2009, 19:54
Before thinking about residence you need to get 'temporary right to live' -in Russia. That's the TRP that Snejanka talks about above. I submitted my documents last June and got the stamp in my passport eventually earlier this month. So it took almost a year from getting the necessary documents (the police letter in Britain, stamped (apostilled) by the Foreign and commonwealth Office in London - and then all the other documents mentioned by Snejanka) to getting the final stamp. I'm currently getting registration- which will take anothe couple of weeks.

It took me longer than it does most people from CIS countries. People from Ukraine etc normally get the TRP in 3 months. But I am from Britain and the Migration service obviously decided I could wait for longer. Something political I expect. :-( Snejanka- from Bulgaria -had a shorter wait.

Once you have TRP you will still need a work permit to work.(your employer's responsibility) But not a visa. You will need an exit visa though to leave the country for each trip. This takes 10 days to get, apparently. So- what I'l be doing and I guess most people do - is each time I come back to Moscow after a trip abroad (a couple of times a year) I'll get the exit visa in advance so that I have it for the next trip.

After one year with TRP you can apply for residence. I think that requires the same documents again- all those medical tests (TB, AIDS, Leprosy, etc, in Russian state clinics) and a new police certificate. But when you get it you can work here without a work permit and can come and go as you please. (Subject to staying in your chosen region of Russia more than 1/2 of each year).

Alisha- you need to talk to your agency and ask what other visas are available. (Work, business, study etc) But Personal invitation is a very bureaucratic route.

BeachBum
31-03-2009, 09:26
hi, i have been reading all yous' intricate and helpful posts and replies but i still cannot find the answer to my question:
basically, is it worth me and my russian boyfriend getting married to make it easier for me to stay in russia?
i am a uk citizen and at the moment i get a visa and when it expires i go back to uk, apply for a new visa, then come back.
this is ok, a little hassle, but do-able, but long term i would be up for getting married if it would make things easier and cheaper in the long run

before i get a flood of replies of 'marriage should be for love' etc etc - yes of course it should be. we love each other, that is a fact. it is not a case of me marrying for citizenshiip - it is the other way round. i put up with being in russia and abandoning my own rodina for this. it is just that i do not see marriage as absolutely necessary in a loving relationship. but if it would give me instant citizenship and stop the constant need for environment-destroying airfares and endless visa forms, then it would be a good thing to do.

if we get married do i still need to do the temporary residence permit thing?

cheers for your help! :)
Steph.

You have 2 options:

VISA or TRP. Since you have probably used up your Visa oprions (already had too many tourist visas). That leaves only the TRP option.

You DO NOT have to be married to file for a temporary residence permit. the TRP is issued on quota system for persons not married to russian nationals and on a non-quota system for those not married to Rus nationals.

The quota system is simple. Each Russian legislative regions gets a quota or number of TRP's that they can issue. When the quota is used up. Thats it! No more TRP's for that year (in that specific region).

Under the quota forget the Moscow Region. It is used up fast. But you can apply in a different region. But read the second thread by 'snedjanka'. That is the procdure to apply. You will need a person who can supply a document for apartment ownership in the area you will be registered. Most russians will not do this unless they are Family. So forget it! But if your boyfriend has family in a region outisde Moscow and "if" they will make this document for you THEN this may be a good route for you. Since it will not require you to be married.

However, if the above options are not good then your only remaining course of action is to get married and apply for a TRP in Moscow Region on the off quota. Then just go to the forum section here on this site about temporary residency. you can learn all you need to make the application.

Re the TRP: dont let people scare you.l It is not too difficult to make. Yu just need the necessary and "legal" copy of all required documents. then make the application. a Company here in Moscow called Liga is great. Look for threads naming them on this forum. Many people (including myself) think they are great. very nice and helpful and not expensive.

In closing your options are:
1) continue getting visas ( not an option probably)
2) TRP off quota in Moscow region ( probably not available)
3) TRP off quota in non Moscow Reggion. (doable if you have persons who will help (probably not an option since most Russians wont make the residence doc you need)
4) TRP on quota in Moscow region (married) probably best option.

Bels
22-04-2009, 18:13
Best hope for you is marriage for TRP. I haven't heard of any Brit getting TRP on this so called quota system.

Why a tourist visa, and not a business visa. The best thing you can do to stay in this country is to work as a teacher, or become a student.

geoffgich
06-06-2009, 21:46
Anyone out there know of TRP Re-registration.

I hear I have to do it with the Police every year.
Is it true?
What is Needed?

Giggens
07-07-2009, 18:37
Why a tourist visa, and not a business visa. The best thing you can do to stay in this country is to work as a teacher, or become a student.

Why is being a teacher the best way to stay in this country? How does it make things easier?