PDA

View Full Version : Can you legally work two jobs as a teacher?

kiwi kid
27-11-2008, 12:16
I am a total newbie, looking at positions in Russia.

I am a qualified secondary teacher, with TESOL qualifications and am currently being considered for positions as either a governess or as a teacher assistant in a nursery school. If I accept these I would also like to continue my classroom experience with older children/adults in my spare time (and make a bit of extra money).

If I have a legal work visa from the first employer, is it possible for the second employer to legally get me get me permission to work?

Also, what jobs come under the exemption for teachers requiring visa? Is it only for teachers with qualifications/registration? Is it only at schools that teach the regular school curriculum? The governess position would give me 1-2 week days off. Would I be able to teach English in state schools on these days without the need for a visa?

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have,

Kiwi Kid

Albertina
27-11-2008, 12:49
Main thing to watch for very carefully is that there is no conflict of interest. Otherwise it should be no problem, if you have time for two jobs!

Kartoshka
29-11-2008, 11:00
When you are a teacher you still need a visa, but it's a special category of visa so you're not counted under the quota as most foreign workers are, and I don't think you need a work permit either. As far as I understand it, only accredited schools can apply for teaching visas for their staff, but accreditation isn't dependent on the curriculum (I don't know what it is dependent on, though). It doesn't matter whether you are qualified or not, as long as an accredited school wants to employ you. As for a second job, I don't know the answer, but the question you need to be asking is whether you would need a work permit.

kiwi kid
29-11-2008, 11:34
Thanks to your replies to this.