PDA

View Full Version : Italy Guidebook

jl321
10-08-2004, 16:36
I am planning to go to Italy in a couple of weeks for a short trip (just one week unfortunately). I have no definite plans though and know only the basics. There is just too much on the internet to digest so I was hoping to get a good guidebook and hope for the best. Can anyone recommend a good one, and more importantly, where to get an English copy in Moscow (as opposed to ordering it through Amazon for example)?

Additionally, if anyone has advice on must-see places, one-week itineraries, or anything else useful on travel to Italy, I would love to hear it.

Thanks.

Pingu
10-08-2004, 17:28
Roughly whereabouts in Italy (if you don't want to spend a lot of time travelling around the country, which airport are you arriving at and leaving from)?

jl321
10-08-2004, 17:35
As I said - my plans are not set. I haven't purchased airfare yet so that is open too.
However, it seemed to me that it might be a good idea to fly into Venice and fly out of Rome. I was quoted a pretty good rate for that scenario too.

I don'' want to spend all the time travelling and was hoping to be based in the north for short time and see Venice and maybe somewhere else and then move down to Rome and explore it and possibly somewhere within day trip distance also.

Also, I was thinking of using trains and not getting a car, but maybe it would better with a car?

HandsoMan
10-08-2004, 18:42
JL: I was in Italy last year. flew into venice and out of rome. plan to spend 2 days in venice, and at least 3 days in rome. rome is one of the ultimately coolest cities on this earth. best is to drive from venice toward rome...really fun to drive the autostrada. stop off in any one of the cool towns in tuscany. you can drop the car off in tuscany and take the train to rome. u don't want to drive in rome...it's crazy...makes moscow seem tame.
have an awesome time.

Pingu
10-08-2004, 19:56
You could drive through Milan and Florence as well. You would definitely see more driving and you can then take detours in places along the way. We drove around Italy last year, but I heard the trains are OK - a more relaxing option to driving, I suppose. They're crazy drivers, so you'll feel at home if you drive here (the main difference in driving technique is that Italian drivers will drive bumper to bumper, without leaving any stopping distance)! The autostradas are great, allowing you to get from city to city pretty quickly, but it's also fun to drive along the country roads as well, to get a better feeling of the place. You should leave a couple of days for sightseeing in each major city/town - there's always so much to see and do. The Rough Guide books are good, if you can get your hands on one. There are plenty of hotels and guest houses, but some supermarkets close for extended lunch breaks and some museums/etc are closed on Mondays. It's a wonderful country and the people are hilarious - very dramatic and animated - they love their morning coffee, sitting in outdoor cafes, soaking up gossip/etc and hot chocolate (the really thick kind, the type your spoon stands up in)! We had a great holiday there - hope you have a good time too!

stefania2003
10-08-2004, 20:04
The rough guide books are indeed the best; unfortunately the latest one is going to be reprinted only at the end of January.
Yes, good choice..Italy makes my heart sing! I'm going out there myself at the end of August.