PDA

View Full Version : Hi... New Year's Eve and all that...?

danbrew
19-11-2008, 08:35
Thought I registered here a few years ago, but have either forgotten my password or forgotten to register... typical of me, I suppose...

I'm visiting Moscow for my 9th time in late December. My previous visits (and I suppose my next visits...) have all been tourist-like in nature. I've done the museums, the Kremlin, bla bla bla, and most of the interesting typical tourist sites.

My next visit will be to relax for a few days before I jump on the train to Vladivostok. I know it will be cold. I know it will be dark with the shorter days. I know the cars are over-heated, etc. I'm crazy and a train nut. Actually, I'm looking forward to a few days in Vladivostok at the end of the train so that I can see something a bit different. Seeing the breadth of Russia in the winter is also a big, huge, plus for me.

Having said all of this - I'll be in Moscow over New Year's Eve (and getting on the train the next day late...), and am wondering if there are must-see, gotta do celebrations? I'm kind of curious to see Red Square on New Year's, but have a Russian pal who tells me that doing Red Square is a pain due to crowds, police, etc. I'm not fixed on it, but my pal hasn't offered up too many solutions other than "we'll find something"... well, yeah, maybe we will. But maybe we won't...! Any pointers towards an interesting evening would be appreciated.

danbrew :)

Korkelia
19-11-2008, 09:16
There are not that many options actually.
As I understand you would like to have fun during those few days in Moscow before you hit to Vladivostok. And as long as you already did your sightseeing routine, there is no need of seeing this kind of attractions. So that leaves clubs and concerts.

andymackem
20-11-2008, 11:45
The only time I was in Moscow for NYE we went to Vorobyevy Gori - had our own fireworks on the hill, and could see all the others going off across the city. Not a bad night, no police hassles. Would do it again, but won't be here this NY

slonik
08-12-2008, 17:12
I am also looking for any tips on where to see in the new year in Moscow. Seems Red Square is out due to police and lack of booze.
Other than Sparrow Hills, where else would you recommend???
What about around the Arbat or Patriarshie prudy?

Gypsy
08-12-2008, 17:23
I agree - New Year's Eve is a good idea.

min
09-12-2008, 00:16
hey..i heard there is some countdown event and fireworks too infront of MGU ya??~