PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed on internet capable mobile phone

Shaun
15-11-2008, 18:39
Mobile phone advice:

I'm a total muppet when it comes to this stuff so excuse the ignorant questions.

What is the best blackberry-style option for working in Russia? Ideally I would be checking emails on it regularly (gmail), not just in Moscow but across RUssia, and occasionally sending them too. Also would be good if I could connect to the internet on my laptop via bluetooth from places where i dont have internet connection. Not sure I like the idea of iPhones because im not sure i'll master the touch-screen typing.

Is this possible and if so what's the best priced option? I'm actually in New York at the moment so could buy something here if that's the best bet.

Thanks very much for any advice.

Qdos
15-11-2008, 21:01
I use a netbook as opposed to a PDA, much better for typing etc.

You could do worse than the Asus EEE 1000h or S101, both have BT & WiFi, and the additional capacity batteries for the 1000h allow up to ten hours use between charges...

I couldn't live with anything that has less than a 10" screen and smaller set of keys to punch!

Strider
15-11-2008, 21:10
actually a netbook and some simple mobile phone as a BT modem can be cheaper than some fancy smartphone, and I suppose you get get netbook much cheaper back in US

Matt24
15-11-2008, 21:55
I use a Nokia E90, works here (Moscow and anywhere MTS goes) and California, In Moscow it finds WiFi much easier than laptop - has 2 nice big readable screens, will blue tooth, but I use the cable connection to VAIO, Nokia PC suite very easy diary and mail synchronisation, I paid about $700 a year ago, still going strong.

Matt

Shaun
17-11-2008, 06:33
thanks. how much does it cost to get online as using a bt phone in russia? tx