PDA

View Full Version : #7 to be inducted



Fa-Q!
06-08-2004, 17:17
That's right, folks. Elway's being inducted at Canton this year. 1983 Rookie of the Year. Out of a class with Eric Dickerson, Dan Marino, Curt Warner, there's more, but my memory's fading. Back to back Super Bowl Championships. Kicked the living shit out of Cleveland, Seattle and other AFC West chumps Kansas City for years. Hate to admit it, but the Raiders kinda had there number, though. Drafted by Baltimore, he refused to sign and was traded to Denver, where he played his whole career. So many come-backs. So many awkward 3rd and 3 dives for first downs. So many throwing' off balance, across his body, against the grain for TD's. Butch Johnson, Gerald Wilhite, Ricky Nateil, the three amigos, Rod Smith, Eddie McCaffrey... The snow, The Drive, one of the strongest arms in the history of the NFL. Thanks for the memories, John! Who the hell is Terry Bradshaw?!

DJ Biscuit
06-08-2004, 17:21
??

I didn't understand any of that. Most of the words are familiar but all together I don't know what the fkn hell you are on about!

Fa-Q!
06-08-2004, 17:27
Real football, mate.

seedub
06-08-2004, 17:30
He deserves it. I never have and never will be a Denver fan, but Elway was definitely a good QB. I have always been a Dolphins fan, so Marino was my favorite.

DJ Biscuit
06-08-2004, 17:31
Hardy ha!! :D


:rolleyes:

Fa-Q!
06-08-2004, 17:33
Noone can argue about Marino. A shame he never got a ring. He's already in Canton, isn't he?

DPG
06-08-2004, 17:34
Yep - wicked, rippin', cryin' shame!! :D

Imagine having to play american football at a marino - you'd drown in no time at all with all the body armour!!;)

seedub
06-08-2004, 17:38
Originally posted by Fa-Q!
Noone can argue about Marino. A shame he never got a ring. He's already in Canton, isn't he?

I don't remember if he is or not, I think he has another year until he is eligible, but not sure there. Didn't Elway retire before Marino?

Filimon
06-08-2004, 17:40
Originally posted by Fa-Q!
Real football, mate.

Real? Have you seen anyone play, say... basketball in body armour? It looks pretty surreal to me!

Fa-Q!
06-08-2004, 17:47
You guys don't have a clue what you're talking about. You have no idea what kind of impact occurs in that game. No f****** idea.

Filimon
06-08-2004, 17:50
Originally posted by Fa-Q!
You guys don't have a clue what you're talking about. You have no idea what kind of impact occurs in that game. No f****** idea.

No worse than in rugby but you don't see Johnny Wilkinson being fitted out by a blacksmith, do you?

[Fil, mate, if you quote the swearing it means I have to do it twice!!:(//DPG]

boscoe
06-08-2004, 17:51
try Rugby - better game and NO body armour.... nah mabe not, a bit tough for you lot ;)

Fa-Q!
06-08-2004, 17:57
You ever seen a 6'6 rugby player that weighs 280 pounds, bench presses 500 pounds and runs a 4.7 40? Rugby is a brutal sport, but you can't compare the two. I like rugby, but you still don't understand the vulnerability to injury in NFL ball. The strength and speed is phenominal. The collisions are are along the lines of what occurs on highways.

Sidney Bliss
06-08-2004, 18:02
Johah Lomu is wetting himself laughing somewhere.

DPG
06-08-2004, 18:02
When is it starting on TV Fa-Q??

I promised you and Innosranets that I'd come along with an open mind to watch it with you after you both came down for Euro '04...after what you just wrote above I'm looking forward to it!!

Collisions like on a highway you say!! Excellent!!

Fa-Q!
06-08-2004, 18:07
Hell yeah, man. The cabbage patch. The Icky shuffle. Jack Lambert. The Fridge. Sweetness. Earl Campbell. Bo Jackson flattening the Boz on the goalline. That goddamn kick-off return that put Tennessee in the Super Bowl. Hell, that Super Bowl, for that matter. Ya know... **** you guys.

Fa-Q!
06-08-2004, 18:09
Romanowski breaking Carrie Collins jaw, spitting in Taylor's face on Monday night.

Sidney Bliss
06-08-2004, 18:10
Originally posted by Fa-Q!
Romanowski breaking Carrie Collins jaw, spitting in Taylor's face on Monday night.

Sounds like an average night down at the Albion!

DJ Biscuit
06-08-2004, 18:13
Originally posted by Sidney Bliss
Sounds like an average night down at the Albion!

LOL

The only difference being is that in the Albion they don't take a break from the action every 40 seconds. :D

Braders
06-08-2004, 18:17
Originally posted by DPG
When is it starting on TV Fa-Q??


Looks like 12th August - pre-season.

Make that 9th Aug 'Hall of Fame Game'

http://www.nfl.com/schedules/preseason/2004#preweek1

boscoe
06-08-2004, 18:24
Originally posted by Sidney Bliss
Johah Lomu is wetting himself laughing somewhere.

LOL :D

Filimon
06-08-2004, 18:25
Originally posted by Fa-Q!
You ever seen a 6'6 rugby player that weighs 280 pounds, bench presses 500 pounds and runs a 4.7 40? Rugby is a brutal sport, but you can't compare the two. I like rugby, but you still don't understand the vulnerability to injury in NFL ball. The strength and speed is phenominal. The collisions are are along the lines of what occurs on highways.

Martin Johnson, England is 6'7'', 263 lbs
Phil Vickery, England - 6'3'', 237 lbs
Lawrence Dallaglio, England - 6'4'' 230 lbs
Simon Shaw, England 6'9'', 261 lbs

Jonah Lomu, New Zealand - 6'5'', 275 lbs

David Auradou, France 6'7'' 266 lbs

John Hayes, Ireland 6'3'' 276 lbs

Scott Murray, Scotland 6'8'' 243 lbs

Picked them totally at random

gadfly
06-08-2004, 18:28
I think it would take prime acting skills to pretend to care about this.

Sidney Bliss
06-08-2004, 18:31
gad-fly n.

1. A persistent irritating critic; a nuisance.
2. One that acts as a provocative stimulus; a goad.

Braders
06-08-2004, 18:32
Originally posted by gadfly
I think it would take prime acting skills to pretend to care about this.

I think everyone who has taken the time to reply is gonna lose sleep as well Gadfly ;)

boscoe
06-08-2004, 18:39
Gadfly I thought you were banned - or was that only your trackhat nic?

DJ Biscuit
06-08-2004, 18:44
Sound of penny finally dropping near Biscuit's chair.

kniga
06-08-2004, 19:26
Filimon,

Your list of single players from teams all over make the average size of most NFL (National Football League, American football) teams. The exceptional, awe-inspiring players like Jonah Lomu make even the staid sports writers of The Guardian start jabbering like fruit-bats in heat, and not to take anything from him, but if you had ever seen the Chicago Bears defensive tackle William "The Refrigerator" Perry take a handoff at the goal line and crush three or four players the size of the lads you quote, then you would snicker a bit less at American football. If you had ever played American football, you'd stop snickering at all.

DJ Biscuit
06-08-2004, 19:30
Isn't all this macho posturing and jibing at each other pointless?

''My football's bigger than your's na ne na''

Collectively please get a life.

Filimon
06-08-2004, 19:34
Originally posted by kniga
Filimon,

Your list of single players from teams all over make the average size of most NFL (National Football League, American football) teams. The exceptional, awe-inspiring players like Jonah Lomu make even the staid sports writers of The Guardian start jabbering like fruit-bats in heat, and not to take anything from him, but if you had ever seen the Chicago Bears defensive tackle William "The Refrigerator" Perry take a handoff at the goal line and crush three or four players the size of the lads you quote, then you would snicker a bit less at American football. If you had ever played American football, you'd stop snickering at all.

Well maybe, but he still wears body armour. Lomu does not.

Filimon
06-08-2004, 20:13
Originally posted by kniga
Filimon,

Your list of single players from teams all over make the average size of most NFL (National Football League, American football) teams. The exceptional, awe-inspiring players like Jonah Lomu make even the staid sports writers of The Guardian start jabbering like fruit-bats in heat, and not to take anything from him, but if you had ever seen the Chicago Bears defensive tackle William "The Refrigerator" Perry take a handoff at the goal line and crush three or four players the size of the lads you quote, then you would snicker a bit less at American football. If you had ever played American football, you'd stop snickering at all.

Also, as I said, I picked them at random. There are plenty more. Plus, I looked at "the Fridge's" site. I am sorry, but he's just ... fat. There are sumo fighters thinner than this guy. I am sure if you feed Lomu to the limit he'd be even bigger. :) The fact is in a REAL game like rugby, the Fridge would not probably be able to even touch the ball, let alone run with it at 5 mph. :)

Ghost
06-08-2004, 20:39
Having played college football and Rugby men's clubs later on after college, I can say that both are equally violent in their own way. But FAQ is right when he says the collisions are simply worse in Football (American style).

First, in Rugby, you have to wrap. You can't just smash someone silly. When you don't have all that padding and you have to tackle (not just hit and block) you tend to go a bit easier than you would if you were "armor plated" as DJ calls it.

Don't get me wrong. Never played a single game of Rugby where someone wasn't bloody afterwards. But the hits in football are just more violent. The game itself, is not. In fact, Rugby requires far more stamina and a better athlete (generally) than Football.

DJ Biscuit
06-08-2004, 20:43
Originally posted by Ghost

First, in Rugby, you have to wrap. You can't just smash someone silly. When you don't have all that padding and you have to tackle (not just hit and block) you tend to go a bit easier than you would if you were "armor plated" as DJ calls it.



???

Not me sir. Never said a word about it.


I would have written 'armoUr' anyway. ;)


PS. Did you play Rugby Union or Rugby League? They are two different games, with highly different levels of physical contact and violence.

Smurfette
06-08-2004, 22:35
Surely the only reason that NFL players smash into each other is that they know that the other guy is wearing a load of stuff to protect himself. No skill in just ramming someone.

am4rw
07-08-2004, 00:20
American football is a skilled and athletic game. I know that a lot of people who grew up watching guys in knee pants kick a ball back and forth for 90 minutes without scoring wouldn't really appreciate it.

But for a really rough game, I think Australian Rules football beats them all. Rugby without any rules.

P.S. FA-Q - As a rabid Denver fan, this is the first post I've ever read of yours that I like. Right On! :agree:

boscoe
07-08-2004, 00:55
Originally posted by am4rw
Australian Rules football beats them all.

I thought Ned might have chirped with this one, but I must admit you are 100% on the ball ( no pun intended)

The most violent game on the face on the planet!

good though!

kniga
07-08-2004, 10:25
Smurfette,

"Surely the only reason that NFL players smash into each other is that they know that the other guy is wearing a load of stuff to protect himself. No skill in just ramming someone."

This demonstrates your utter lack of understanding of American football, but then that is understandable as a nice lady like you will never have experienced what it is like to try and take out the lead blocker who weighs 270 lbs. and is trained to "ram into someone" with the skill and violence that would send a non-professional player to the hospital. The blocker's motivation has nothing to do with how his opponent is uniformed, but rather to remove him physically from the play.

Ghost
07-08-2004, 10:39
Originally posted by Smurfette
Surely the only reason that NFL players smash into each other is that they know that the other guy is wearing a load of stuff to protect himself. No skill in just ramming someone.

No skill, eh? I'm sorry Smurfette but your comment is completely wrong - until you play it, you have no right to comment. True, it takes no skill to hit someone standing still when you're running at full speed. But to take down a fullback or a halfback who is running at a direction opposite or across from you in a way where he suffers a loss of yardage is a tricky thing indeed.

Knigasauras Rex is 100% accurate.

DJ - I don't know the difference in those. I played for a men's club that played other men's clubs in the area in the NY area. We played 15s and 7s. 7s on the beach always kicked my ass because I never had the stamina.

Teutonic Deity
07-08-2004, 11:56
Originally posted by DPG
When is it starting on TV Fa-Q??

Collisions like on a highway you say!! Excellent!!

you could always warm up by grabbing a copy Oliver Stone's "Any Given Sunday" - great flick about American Football

Sidney Bliss
07-08-2004, 14:00
Originally posted by Teutonic Deity
you could always warm up by grabbing a copy Oliver Stone's "Any Given Sunday" - great flick about American Football

A great show about a shite game!!!

Braders
07-08-2004, 17:51
I'd recommend a combination of American Football and Rugby then the Brits play the Yanks to end this stand off, however, i forgot you guys have Innosranets... who when standing motionless would require the attacking Brit to run 4 meters to the left or right anyway ;)

Ned Kelly
09-08-2004, 09:47
Originally posted by boscoe
I thought Ned might have chirped with this one, but I must admit you are 100% on the ball ( no pun intended)

The most violent game on the face on the planet!

good though!

hard to say. i've only ever played aussie rules as i'm from the south but when i first watched a rugby match i was inclined to think it much more intense.

i think an american football-rugby match with compromise rules would be terrific to see.

Fa-Q!
09-08-2004, 10:00
anyway....Elway and Barry "Now Ya See Me-Now Ya Don't" Sanders are being inducted at Canton...

am-dude, GO BRONCOS!!!

Ghost
09-08-2004, 10:10
Originally posted by Ned Kelly
hard to say. i've only ever played aussie rules as i'm from the south but when i first watched a rugby match i was inclined to think it much more intense.

i think an american football-rugby match with compromise rules would be terrific to see.

I don't know how you'd pull it off, but I'd sign up to play.

peyote
09-08-2004, 14:14
there you go again! americans and brits trashing each other...
c'mon guys, let's sing!

"we are fa-mi-ly
i got all my sisters with me
we are fa-mi-ly
get up ev'rybody and sing"

for some reason i just remember george and mildred...

Jet
09-08-2004, 14:27
Yeah,
"we shall overcome,
we shall overcome,
one daaay"

Braders
09-08-2004, 17:16
Originally posted by Ned Kelly
i think an american football-rugby match with compromise rules would be terrific to see.

Ned you'd be perfect as one of the posts, you haven't got a tan have you? ;)

Ned Kelly
09-08-2004, 17:18
Originally posted by Braders
Ned you'd be perfect as one of the posts, you haven't got a tan have you? ;)

i do actually, but no-one would see me because your ears would block out the posts...in addition to the sun.;)

silverfish
14-08-2004, 19:51
Rugby is a 'contact' sport.

American Football is a 'collision' sport.

THAT is the difference! OK!