PDA

View Full Version : Which type of visa?

meldanby
13-11-2008, 16:21
hello all,

im travelling to Moscow in january for three weeks and hoping to stay in a rented apartment for the duration with my boyfriend who lives there.

I have previously obtained tourist visas as i have been staying in a hotel with him but wondered if you can still do this if you are making your own accommodation arrangements?

i understand i need to have an invitation, but where would i obtain one from? i asked my boyfriend and he said that he cannot give me an invitation as he is in the army.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

andrich
13-11-2008, 19:33
There are many agencies that you can purchase your invitation from. One such agency that comes to mind is called ostwest. You should check them out online. They are very efficient and reliable.

Evitatomson
13-11-2008, 20:41
you can get holiday/travel visa, no invitation needed, only flight or hotel
booking and its for at least a week. you can get more details or even invitation from Russian consultate site. www.rusemblog or something similar, just dieal in Russian Embassy in kensington gardens.
Iva

ezik
13-11-2008, 20:52
Meldanby,
Here's how it goes:
- you get an invitation from an agency and a visa. A tourist visa may be good, or you can buy a multiple entry business visa as well, so you can travel more than once.
- once in Moscow, you need to register within 3 working days. There are plenty companies that do that. Otherwise, your BF can register you at his own apartment.

No-one minds the type of visa you have while registering. Just as long as you register.

So - in short - your next visit to Russia, in terms of visa and registration isn't complex at all. PM if you need more details.

One thing that did strike me in your post is the thing about your BF not being able to invite you as he is in the army. Could be true, the army goes by different rules than normal citizens. Not sure about this particular one - can try to check it out if needed.

Anyway, just keep in mind that if you have longer term plans with your BF and you want to stay in Russia for longer or "forever", please mind that if your BF is not allowed to invite foreigners, a thing like a temporary residence permit (TRP) might be an issue as well. And in that case, frankly speaking, you will have a problem. So you better get some clarity as to why he cannot invite you...

meldanby
13-11-2008, 22:35
Ezik,

thank you for the info. I will simply use a company supplying invitations and use the address for the apartment which i will be staying at. Then hopefully the visa registration will work out ok.

Also in response to you suggestion about my BF not being able to invite as he is in the army, i just found out that its because he is living at a military address and so cant invite foreigners.

thank you for your help!

ezik
13-11-2008, 22:43
Ezik,

thank you for the info. I will simply use a company supplying invitations and use the address for the apartment which i will be staying at. Then hopefully the visa registration will work out ok.

Also in response to you suggestion about my BF not being able to invite as he is in the army, i just found out that its because he is living at a military address and so cant invite foreigners.

thank you for your help!

Meldanby

No probs. But don't try to register at the apartment. As your BF is living at a military address, he'll not be able to register you. So, unless you have a very willing landlord at the apartment's address (which is unlikely, as hosting a foreigner is quite a bureaucratic effort), it's best to fix a simple hotel registration for like $50 or even $20. Lots of companies can do that, if you need recommendations, I'll have them.

But anyway, no worries for your visit. You'll be able to have it.

Just, for the longer term, remember that if this relation is serious, a TRP will have to be applied for using a proper residency address. But you first enjoy your visit!

meldanby
16-11-2008, 00:42
so, to be clear, i find a company which gives out invitations, and pretend that im staying in a hotel, so do i get a voucher along with the invitation for the hotel? Then do i register my visa at the hotel? even though in staying at a different place?

Mosray
19-11-2008, 22:26
so, to be clear, i find a company which gives out invitations, and pretend that im staying in a hotel, so do i get a voucher along with the invitation for the hotel? Then do i register my visa at the hotel? even though in staying at a different place?

Meldanby,
The company that invites you will be able to register you, so don't worry about that, and it will not matter where your staying as they use their companys legal address.

Ask the agency that provides you the invitation service about who to contact regarding registration when you arrive here, as most normally have partners here or other connections that will help. also bare in mind that you have 3 working days from when you arrive to register not including Weekends public holidays.. (so Monday to Friday)..

Hope this was of help....