PDA

View Full Version : Best new portable notebook? budge 24,000r

Bels
11-11-2008, 22:19
It's now time to buy a new computer, as our old notebook has run out of time, with many problems.

What do you suggest with a budget of about 24,000 roubles? What do need and want? We need to download English speaking films or t.v programmes onto disc. Legally yes! as it will be for translation work into English. Internet use of course. I think basic word processing requirement for translation.

For enjoyment purposes would be perhaps watching some British English DVD films etc. And perhaps as my son has stated, we might be able to download games for his mobile playstation.

We need a portable because we might move to the UK, and carrying a large computer might be too much. Also my wife has the choice of movement to do her translation work.

Which computer would you choose, we plan to purchase our computer in Moledosnia, as this area is most convenient to us.

So what we are looking for is a multi media portable.

Another problem is finding a supplier who will supply it with the software that me and my wife want to use, and that would be that the software must be in Russian and English. I would have thought this would not be a problem in most countries, but apparently it is in Russia. We do have a disc and license number for windows, of which is an a professional international windows. Should I use this disc? If the computer windows software we purchase doesn't communicate in English?

privet2009
12-11-2008, 03:10
The Disk and Licence (I assume XP Pro) is fine, although you will also probably need laptop specific drivers - not too much of a problem to download.

I can only offer the following advice.... NEVER buy Acer.... they are TOTALLY CRAP - I knew this and even then purchased the "Ferarri" Model a few years ago - it didn't last me many months before it started falling apart of its own accord. And getting it repaired (in Moscow) was a nightmare.... don't ask.

Easily available in Moscow and a good make is ASUS, which also offer a 2 year No Fuss Int'l warranty. Cheaper than IBM or DELL for similar specs and GREAT reliability.

A bit more expensive but arguably slightly better are IBM (oops Lenovo) ThinkPad models (same 2 year NO FUSS Int'l warranty).

DELL also offer a 2 year NO FUSS Int'l warranty.

Can't speak for the others - but the above have excellent warranty protection and I think it applies to grey Imports as well.

Oh.. an NEVER EVER EVER NEVER buy an Acer.

peachhy
12-11-2008, 22:05
Hi!
Pay attention to Toshiba Setillite A 200 or A 300, these models meets all requiments,technical and design.

TD
12-11-2008, 22:56
Hi!
Pay attention to Toshiba Setillite A 200 or A 300, these models meets all requiments,technical and design.

either of those would be a good choice... you might also have a look at the Lenovo IdeaPad G410 -- Lenovo IdeaPad G410 - DIGITAL.RU (http://www.digital.ru/goods/notebooks/all/28178.htm) it comes with vista home but their site has drivers for XP if you want to switch systems later ---> Lenovo Support & downloads G410 (http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-68891)

Bels
12-11-2008, 23:51
either of those would be a good choice... you might also have a look at the Lenovo IdeaPad G410 -- Lenovo IdeaPad G410 - DIGITAL.RU (http://www.digital.ru/goods/notebooks/all/28178.htm) it comes with vista home but their site has drivers for XP if you want to switch systems later ---> Lenovo Support & downloads G410 (http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-68891)

Thanks for that :) I will show the wife this link in the morning. She has been recommended a simular model for our requirements which we were planning to buy this friday, costing about 23, 000 roubles. I'm surprised when I see the packages offered in shops in Moscow, they don't offer anywhere near the the same packages that Toshiba, UK and USA suppliers offer. They normally come with international professional xp for example. But in Russia she claims they simply come with russian home edition windows, and no estras such as headphones etc which is internationally offered in the Toshiba package. She claims they are trying to rip us off to pay extras. Another expert guidance I read was that it was recommended that the latest Toshiba models have only 1 gb of ram memory. and they recommend it should be upgraded to 2 gb of ram memory as soon as possible. My wife accepts this, but says don't use the shop. but use a local Russian friend to sort it out for you. We will see .

Yes it's Toshiba for the moment, taking into consideration the availability of laptops the store has.. and we hope to purchase this Saturday when we have more time together to shop.

There was a link I saw from the UK of a Toshiba 17" screen, and was highly recommended for a budget priced laptop (can't remember model number for moment), good quality screen, great audio, etc, etc. Again they recommended the two GB of ram, rather than the standard one GB of ram. Unfortunately the Moledosnia supplier doesn't have this model. Again with a big package, headphones, word pro X international, vrious software, etc, etc.

innovator
13-11-2008, 13:28
In Canada I bought an HP 2133 mini notebook for $699 + tax. It's only got an 8.9" screen but you can plug in an external monitor. The only thing it does not have is a dvd player. Guess there is no room. However, you can still plug in an external. I considered getting an Acer but it had only 1 gig ram whereas this has 2 gig. It's got all the other bells and whistles my other laptop has. So I'm quite satisfied with it. Don't know if they sell this in Russia yet.

xSnoofovich
13-11-2008, 13:39
Ноутбуки – Выбор по параметрам – Яндекс.Маркет (http://market.yandex.ru/guru.xml?CMD=-RR=0,0,0,0-PF=5533175%2BLT%2Bsel%2B873%2e667664-VIS=160-CAT_ID=432460-EXC=1-PG=10&view=&num=&sort=&hid=91013&filter=&grhow=)

Here you go Bels.

Bels
13-11-2008, 23:00
In Canada I bought an HP 2133 mini notebook for $699 + tax. It's only got an 8.9" screen but you can plug in an external monitor. The only thing it does not have is a dvd player. Guess there is no room. However, you can still plug in an external. I considered getting an Acer but it had only 1 gig ram whereas this has 2 gig. It's got all the other bells and whistles my other laptop has. So I'm quite satisfied with it. Don't know if they sell this in Russia yet.

Yes HP appears to be a popular rating in my searches, and discussing with my wife's needs she has stated the smaller laptop is becoming popular here, and yes having the dvd/dVD writer is essential for her work and having an extension for this DVD/ DVD writer wouldn't be a problem, as we don't need to be that mobile.

My wife's preference for the moment sill appears to be the Toshiba professional (I can't remember the number) as it meets our specification, and when I read international websites it looks ok. Unfortunately the Russian supplier in the store of Moledosneya doesn't offer the package that internationally Toshiba recommends, and I can't understand why not. It should come with a built in webcam and headphones etc, etc. It should come with a software package including Microsoft windows XP professional international. But unfortunately this store supplier offers only windows home edition (Russian of course) and no extras including headphones etc.

Yes unfortunately many brands only have 1gb of ram, yet proffessional advisers recommend 2GB of ram. and obviously your store should ask you to upgrade to 2GB OF RAM. aND YOU SHOULD. Wife claims to ask a local computer geek that we know to do it, as the store charges too much. So yes there areseveral good laptops around and their only weaness is this 1gb of ram, but they can easil be upgraded, and the professional recommendation is that you should do it.

Looking through the internet, I saw a 17' screen Toshiba Pro laptop. And it had some excellent right-ups. Very plain but sophisticated, ggreat looking screen and audio, everything!! for a budget price. The only drawback they claimed was the battery time. But for us that wouldn't be a problem. And besides, the bigger the laptop screen, the shorter time for the battery power, and it's obvious, isn't it? Unfortunately the Moledozniya store doesn't have it yet, so at the moment we will have to go go for the smaller 17" one.
Yes in both cases we would have to upgrade to a 2GB ram as recommended, and to meet the good write-ups from the experts who tested them on this basis.

innovator
14-11-2008, 12:06
As far as I know the mini-laptops (8.9" screen or smaller) the ram are not easily upgradable. Neither is the hard drive or anything else. Everything is built into the board.

Fortunately mine came with 2gig which is the bare minimum you need to run multiple applications comfortably. Ideally I'd like to have double that, but as I said this is not easily upgradable (you'd have to find some computer geek to open this thing up and install it properly - too much hassle).

The HP 2133 also comes with a built in webcam and mic. Oh by the way, when I first got it I had nothing but problems with it because of all the junk installed on it. I uninstalled most of the garbage that comes with it and now it's running beautifully. Also went to HP's site and installed all the recommended updates.

PS it just depends what you are in the market for. The 8.9" screens seem to be all the rage now.

hemal
14-11-2008, 14:27
Get a sony VAIO CR520 - its 14"

Qdos
15-11-2008, 12:09
I picked up an Asus 1000h 10.2" netbook, added an extended 12000mAh battery, and it runs for 9/10 hour stints (less with video in use) fine.

It's even been in use on the Moscow metro this last couple of days! :D

Very portable. Keyboard is 90% of full size, but prone to 'bounce-key' errors since it is not the same quality as, say, a MacBook. No CD/DVD, but it has WiFi-N, Bluetooth, RJ45 Ethernet, SD Card slot, triple USB...

Recommend the white over the black, but good devices with a 24 month warranty thrown in... and plenty of support on various forums...

Green Tea
15-11-2008, 12:12
I recently bought an 'eMachines e510', and paid 9990 Rubles. It's not a Mercedes Benz, but its great for everything I do on it; Internet, writing, downloading, chatting, burining DVDs. It has Windows Vista, a shiney screen (sorry, not a techie here), and an 80gb hard drive.

Overall, I think it was a sweet deal, more than I bargained for.

Acer eMachines E510 - The beauty and the beast | Developer Oracles (http://devoracles.com/acer-emachines-e510-the-beauty-and-the-beast/51)