PDA

View Full Version : Disappointing results from internet speed test

Carbo
08-11-2008, 19:41
Just got stream into my new apartment. I noticed that I sometimes struggled to download a youtube video within an hour so I decided to run a speed check. I bought the Stream 10 хит package, which supposedly gives 10 mbs per minute, but actually it is currently running at only 222 kbs.

I only started using the internet yesterday, but this is still very disappointing. Any suggestions?

Strider
08-11-2008, 19:47
you should run speed check on russian servers... for example go to Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test (http://www.speedtest.net) and pick russian servers there

if you don't get anything close to 10Mb/s then check your network activity, your computer shouldn't generate any traffic when idle

but of course it may also be their fault... for example your line can't handle this speed, you should contact them in this case

xSnoofovich
08-11-2008, 19:49
Stream is or uses DSL, right.
DSL speeds depend on how far you are away from the trunking station, so, the farther away you are, the slower the possible speed.

You can buy the higher speed packages, but it could be possible that it is just not possible to actually get those speeds.

My suggestion:

Switch to a local area provider such as Rinet.

Or,

You could try to download some programs like System Mechanic (iolo technologies - The PC Tune-Up Experts (http://www.iolo.com)) that could help your computer settings.

Carbo
08-11-2008, 19:59
you should run speed check on russian servers... for example go to Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test (http://www.speedtest.net) and pick russian servers there

if you don't get anything close to 10Mb/s then check your network activity, your computer shouldn't generate any traffic when idle

but of course it may also be their fault... for example your line can't handle this speed, you should contact them in this case
Yup, that's exactlythe one I tested, and i picked the khimki server.

I'm hacked off. I asked the scumbags if it could handle the ten megs.

Qdos
08-11-2008, 20:14
That Speedtest service is so popular that it's often overloaded and is hence quite unreliable, there are others worth dabbling with though - although I'm not able to give you localised nodes for the Russian Federation.

ADSL quality varies. It depends on a number of things. The line quality being the most crucial, which therein normally deteriorates according to the distance you are from the exchange.

I took ADSL from Tat-Telecom in Nab Chelny a few years ago and the line quality was awful, so we always had the engineers around swapping pairs and trying to stitch the cabling up tighter in all their junction boxes.

The other thing that can drastically make your bandwidth lag is should you have a machine infected with malware which has allowed a remote user to make use of your system as a remailer...

I'd want to examine my firewall traffic for indications of all processes and applications that could be eating away the bandwidth, before necessarily accusing the ISP of slack standards.