PDA

View Full Version : Best Language preparation

neillgarfield
07-11-2008, 18:16
Hi everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

I have been offered a job in Moscow, which I have accepted and my attention moves to getting prepared within the next three months. The biggest challenge I want to prepare myself is the language, of which I must have learned the basics by the time I arrive.

I will have some courses paid for in London, but I was wondering- what audio books do you recommend to use? I am looking for one the hepls me master the alphabet, as well as supporting on basic grammar. I have 1.5 hours a days to commit to this [the length of my commute] so audio format is a must.

Thanks for your help.

MissAnnElk
07-11-2008, 18:27
Personally, I always like the Pimsleur programs. It's all audio. Listen and repeat. You can do it in the car. And it's survival level stuff. Develop your ear and get used to making these new and different sounds.

Etoile filante
08-11-2008, 00:04
Hi,
unfortunately i'm not an expert on that. However, a British friend of mine did a bit of self-studying before coming to Russia (e.g., the alphabet), and after having spent two years in Moscow, she was able to speak Russian pretty well, i mean we can communicate in Russian, mb not that fast but still. I believe she may give you a valuable piece of advice. PM me if interested.