PDA

View Full Version : International Driver's license and GAI

Citizen Caine
07-11-2008, 10:18
Hi,

I have been driving in Moscow for about 4 years always with my national German license and International one, never had any real problems. - Last night I was pulled over by GAI around the Moscow City area, - they were doing traffic checks with 3 officers. One guy viewed all my docs which were all in order but he was obviously looking for some "chocolate". He started complaining that my International drivers license was not understandable to him and should be translated into Russian. I tried to explain him that all the stamps validating the driving categories on the first, German page, exactly refer to the Russian page in that same document, and it always had been acknowledged previously without problems and this is how the International license looks like. He disagreed, saying that the Russian page is empty and I need to get a notarized translation of it. - He then talked to the other officers who also seemed to be unsure about this, then he threatened me that they would need to confiscate my license and have the car towed. At this point, because I was sure I was right, - I already got worked up quite a bit, I got out of the car and consented that they should take my license and get the car towed, at which point they let me go then with the usual remark, next time we will get you. - I think I am right that I do not need to get this translated once more, but as additional backup I would like to show them next time an excerpt of the Russian traffic law where it states that my docs are ok for driving in Russia. Does anyone know where I could find/download this, also a copy of a Russian International driver's license would be helpful. Thanks.

kebab
07-11-2008, 10:44
As far as I know you need a medical spravka, a notarised translated copy of your driving license, Russia doesn't have an international driving license so he was just trying it on.

MARIA MOSCOW
07-11-2008, 11:10
In Russia police can do whatever they want .

If they want to have your money they find something in your document or car ...

herald1973
08-11-2008, 13:04
I've been reading some of the post regarding driving and licenses and I'm getting confused a bit. Is there any list of documents that are needed to drive a leased car in Russia, I ahve the following documents:

Dutch driver's license, recognized in Italy (so therefore I believe it has become an Italian one, which is not learing looking at he license, which could become an issue if they check my docs....)
International driver's license, issued in Italy on the above driver's license

Will this be enough to drive in Russia, or do I also need translations of these documents?

Thanks for you help/clearance.

Herald

sytross
16-11-2008, 18:12
I've been reading some of the post regarding driving and licenses and I'm getting confused a bit. Is there any list of documents that are needed to drive a leased car in Russia, I ahve the following documents:

Dutch driver's license, recognized in Italy (so therefore I believe it has become an Italian one, which is not learing looking at he license, which could become an issue if they check my docs....)
International driver's license, issued in Italy on the above driver's license

Will this be enough to drive in Russia, or do I also need translations of these documents?

Thanks for you help/clearance.

Herald

No need for any translation. They just want to put you under pressure in order to give them money. You just have to be firm with them and to show them that you know the law and you are not afraid. They have the right in case of any traffic violation to take your IDL and issue you a ticket, but not to confiscate the car. Then you may go pay the fine and take back your IDL. :11033:

Elizabeth
25-11-2008, 17:27
I actually break traffic laws and still never have to pay fines or bribes. Maybe it's because I'm foreign, a woman or both. My boyfriend usually ends up paying something, bribe or fine, but he is Russian, I think the equation works out differently for him (more likely to get a fine). The best approach is to just be like "yeah cool I'll go to bayarsky pereulok (or wherever) and pay the fine" and wait for them to stop waiting for you to give a bribe. These guys are so stupid.

adamst56
03-12-2008, 08:55
No need for any translation. They just want to put you under pressure in order to give them money. You just have to be firm with them and to show them that you know the law and you are not afraid. They have the right in case of any traffic violation to take your IDL and issue you a ticket, but not to confiscate the car. Then you may go pay the fine and take back your IDL. :11033:

This is not actually correct. A non-Russian that is on temporary stay can drive for up to 60 days on their home country drivers license with a notarized copy of the license or an international drivers license with Russian print.
If you have a business visa or work visa you are required by law to have a Russian drivers license. Is it enforced uniformly? I doubt it. But that is the law. If you have multiple visas in your passport that run concurrently you won't be able to argue that you just got here, even if you are under 60 days on your most recent visa. Unfortunately the Russian license will only be valid until your visa expires and then you will need a new one.

NandM
05-12-2008, 09:40
Try to call 8 (499) 218 11 17 - GIBDD - The Department for foreign citizens.As far as I know - you do need a notarized translation of your driving licence.

Rustralian
08-12-2008, 10:58
Under the terms of the 1949 UN Convention on Road Traffic, a Contacting State must allow a person to drive in their country using their domestic licence if the licence was issued in compliance with Annexure 8 of the Convention, but a Contracting State may require that the person has an IDP issued as well, that conforms with Annexure 10 of the Convention. Annexure 8 requires that a person must be 18 years of age before they can get a drivers licence.

Russia is a signatory to the 1949 Convention, so the only two ways to drive here are with your domestic licence (without a translation) or with your domestic licence with an IDP under the 1949 Convention. I have not seen or been referred to any domestic law that allows a foreign national to drive with their domestic licence only and the GAI generally ask for your IDP, so you can safely assume that that is the applicable law in Russia. In fact, any law that says you must have a foreign domestic licence with a translation would be contrary to the terms of the 1949 Convention.

For Countries that are signatories to the 1968 Convention, then that Convention refers to being allowed to drive with a copy of your domestic licence and a certified translation, but that is not Russia, as Russia is a signatory to the 1949 Convention.

I have never seen any law that says you are required to have a Russian licence if you are here on a work permit or business visa - it all depends upon the duration of your stay and whether you are living here. If your work is for 30 days, then you would certainly not need a Russian licence and for a Multiple Entry Business Visa holder, they are not permitted to stay in the country for more than 90 days at a time, so they cannot be living here, so why would they need a Russian drivers licence.

The 1949 Convention has nothing about when you are required to have a domestic licence as opposed to use a IDP and foreign licence so it will be governed by the local Russian laws. I have not seen those, but assume like most countries they will relate to residency and give you about 60 - 90 days grace before you are required to obtain a local drives licence.

Here is one of my earlier posts on this subject about IDP's.

There is an International Driving Permit (IDP) which is issued under the Geneva Convention on International Road Traffic of 19 September 1949. There was also the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic, but a number of countries did not sign the treaty or did not ratify it, so the 1949 Convention IDP is the more widely used and accepted. The 1949 Convention only allows an IDP to be valid for 12 months from the date of issue. The 1968 Convention allows for a validity of 3 years.

The reason the 1949 IDP is mostly used is to try to limit incorrect application. For example, Germany did not ratify the 1949 Treaty as they did not exist as a government at the time, but they have passed a law to recognise the 1949 IDP being used in Germany by foreigners. Germany however did sign the 1968 Treaty, so they can only issue IDP's under the 1968 Treaty. South Korea did not sign the 1968 Treaty, only the 1949 Treaty, so a German IDP which can only be issued under the 1968 Treay is NOT recognised in South Korea.

There was also a 1929 Paris Convention on Motor Vehicles which dealt with IDP's, but the only countries that still subscribe to the 1929 Convention IDP's are Brazil, Iraq and Somalia.

The countries that accept the 1949 IDP are: Afganistan, Albania, Algeria, Andorra, Angola, Antigua, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Belgium, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Botswana, Brunei, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Canada, Cape Verde Islands, Cayman Islands, Central African Republic, Chad, Chile, Colombia, Comoros, Congo, Costa Rica, Cote d'Ivoire, Croatia, Cuba, Curacao, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dijibouti, Dominican Republic, Ecudar, Egypt, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Estonia, Fiji, Finland, France and French Overseas Departments, French Polynesia, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Gibralter, Greece, Guatemala, Guernsey, Haiti, Honduras, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iran, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Jersey, Jordan, Kampuchea, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Korea (Republic of), Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Macao, Macedonia, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Monaco, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nambia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Niger, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal (Madaira and the Azores), Qatar, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudia Arabia, Senegal, Serbia and Montenegro, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sri Lanka, St Kitts - Nevis & Anguilla, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Taiwan, Tanania, Thailand, Togo, Trinidad & Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, UK, USA, Vatican City, Venezuela, Windward Islands, Yemen Repubic, Zaire, Zambia and Zimbabwe.

The United Arab Emirates signed the treaty in January 2007, so it is still capable of being adopted.

The IDP can ONLY be issued under the authority of the Government of a Convention country and the Governments of those countries mostly delegate that task to authorised Motoring Associations, if there is one (in Australia only State Associations that are members of the National Australian Automobile Association are allowed to issue the permits).

The IDP is a multilingual translation of your local drivers licence and is NOT a licence in itself (9 languages in Australia: The languages are - English, French, Italian, Greek, German, Russian, Spanish, Japanese and Chinese). It is just a recognised translation of your licence and the Convention countries allow you to drive if you carry both the IDP and your local valid drivers licence. You cannot use an IDP in the country where you have your local drivers licence.

The IDP MUST have a grey cover, with white pages and be 105mm by 148mm in size - anybody issuing credit card sized IDP's is issuing fakes.

If you need to get an IDP, then most times the relevant body to contact is the Motoring Association in your country and that body will be a member of the Federation Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA). To assist here is the link to the Australian Automobile Association handbook (74 pages) which provides the name and contact details for the motorist associations in most countries where you can find information about IDP's. The list is at the front and back of the handbook - in the middle is a section on the international signs that are used, which breaks up the list into two parts. http://www.aaa.asn.au/downloads/AAA_Handbook.pdf

If you buy an IDP from an internet provider, then unless that is a motorist association or a duly authorised Government supplier if there is no motoring association, then it is a fake and you are being scammed. They may look the same and many do, but they are not issued by the Country where you have your drivers licence, nor by an authorised body. IDP's that include Passport Numbers and other information are fakes and invalid, as the Treaty requires the IDP's to be issued in STRICT accordance with the Treaty version.

I don't know about other Associations but I can order an IDP through the post from Western Australia or I can have someone go and get one for me, so long as they have a copy of my MDL (to show it is current and what classes I can drive) and a photo of me for the IDP. It costs AUD$25 in Western Australia.

Places such as International Driver License, International Automobile Alliance, IDL, Personal ID and international-licence.com and International Driver License that are sponsored links on Google, are all supplying fake documents that are worthless and meaningless under the terms of any of the UN Treaties.

:rolleyes:

scheik
13-01-2009, 16:58
Hi,

I have been driving in Moscow for about 4 years always with my national German license and International one, never had any real problems. - Last night I was pulled over by GAI around the Moscow City area, - they were doing traffic checks with 3 officers. One guy viewed all my docs which were all in order but he was obviously looking for some "chocolate". He started complaining that my International drivers license was not understandable to him and should be translated into Russian. I tried to explain him that all the stamps validating the driving categories on the first, German page, exactly refer to the Russian page in that same document, and it always had been acknowledged previously without problems and this is how the International license looks like. He disagreed, saying that the Russian page is empty and I need to get a notarized translation of it. - He then talked to the other officers who also seemed to be unsure about this, then he threatened me that they would need to confiscate my license and have the car towed. At this point, because I was sure I was right, - I already got worked up quite a bit, I got out of the car and consented that they should take my license and get the car towed, at which point they let me go then with the usual remark, next time we will get you. - I think I am right that I do not need to get this translated once more, but as additional backup I would like to show them next time an excerpt of the Russian traffic law where it states that my docs are ok for driving in Russia. Does anyone know where I could find/download this, also a copy of a Russian International driver's license would be helpful. Thanks.

International Drivers Permit is ACCEPTABLE in Russia AND the information in it(your name,address,etc) must be in ENGLISH(as contrary to what the police(GAI) told you):trampoline:

The next time a Russian police(GAI) stops you, show him following excerpt from Russian official law(document) on foreign driving licences(International Driving Permit)-

(утв. постановлением Правительства РФ от 15 декабря 1999 г. N 1396)
(с изменениями от 8 сентября 2000 г., 21 ноября 2001 г.)

44. В Российской Федерации лица, временно пребывающие на ее территории, имеют право управлять транспортными средствами при наличии международного или иностранного национального водительского удостоверения, соответствующего требованиям Конвенции о дорожном движении 1968 года, записи в котором произведены или продублированы буквами латинского алфавита.

Иностранные национальные водительские удостоверения, не соответствующие требованиям указанной Конвенции, должны иметь заверенный в установленном порядке перевод на русский язык.

Иностранными национальными водительскими удостоверениями считаются также водительские удостоверения с отличительным знаком "SU" (СССР), выданные в республиках бывшего Союза ССР.

Указанные лица при управлении транспортными средствами могут иметь российские водительские удостоверения, полученные в порядке, установленном настоящими Правилами.

45. Лицам, временно пребывающим на территории Российской Федерации и не имеющим иностранных национальных водительских удостоверений, выдача российских водительских удостоверений производится на общих основаниях на срок действия регистрации их документов на право временного пребывания в Российской Федерации.
46. Лицам, временно пребывающим на территории Российской Федерации, замена их иностранных национальных водительских удостоверений на российские водительские удостоверения, а также выдача им российских водительских удостоверений взамен утраченных (похищенных) иностранных национальных водительских удостоверений не производится, если иное не предусмотрено международными договорами Российской Федерации.
47. Сотрудникам дипломатических представительств и консульских учреждений иностранных государств в Российской Федерации и членам их семей, сотрудникам международных организаций и их представительств, аккредитованных при Министерстве иностранных дел Российской Федерации, и членам их семей, имеющим дипломатические, консульские, служебные карточки или удостоверения, выданные Министерством иностранных дел Российской Федерации, по их желанию выдаются российские водительские удостоверения при наличии у этих лиц действительных иностранных национальных водительских удостоверений. Выдача российских водительских удостоверений указанным лицам осуществляется без прохождения ими медицинского освидетельствования и сдачи экзаменов.

При отсутствии у этих лиц иностранных национальных водительских удостоверений российские водительские удостоверения выдаются им на общих основаниях.

48. Иностранное национальное водительское удостоверение лица, переехавшего на постоянное жительство в Российскую Федерацию, на территории Российской Федерации считается недействительным по истечении 60 дней с даты получения в органах внутренних дел Российской Федерации разрешения на постоянное проживание в Российской Федерации или с даты въезда на территорию Российской Федерации, если разрешение на постоянное проживание было получено в дипломатическом представительстве либо консульском учреждении Российской Федерации в иностранном государстве. Замена таких удостоверений производится в порядке п.40 настоящих правил.

Source- Информационный портал ГАИ РУ: Правила сдачи квалификационных экзаменов и выдачи Водительского Удостоверения (http://www.gai.ru/PermisDeConduire/p406/)

scheik
13-01-2009, 17:13
International Drivers Permit is ACCEPTABLE in Russia AND the information in it(your name,address,etc) must be in ENGLISH(as contrary to what the police(GAI) told you):trampoline:

The next time a Russian police(GAI) stops you, show him following excerpt from Russian official law(document) on foreign driving licences(International Driving Permit)-

(утв. постановлением Правительства РФ от 15 декабря 1999 г. N 1396)
(с изменениями от 8 сентября 2000 г., 21 ноября 2001 г.)

44. В Российской Федерации лица, временно пребывающие на ее территории, имеют право управлять транспортными средствами при наличии международного или иностранного национального водительского удостоверения, соответствующего требованиям Конвенции о дорожном движении 1968 года, записи в котором произведены или продублированы буквами латинского алфавита.

Иностранные национальные водительские удостоверения, не соответствующие требованиям указанной Конвенции, должны иметь заверенный в установленном порядке перевод на русский язык.

Иностранными национальными водительскими удостоверениями считаются также водительские удостоверения с отличительным знаком "SU" (СССР), выданные в республиках бывшего Союза ССР.

Указанные лица при управлении транспортными средствами могут иметь российские водительские удостоверения, полученные в порядке, установленном настоящими Правилами.

45. Лицам, временно пребывающим на территории Российской Федерации и не имеющим иностранных национальных водительских удостоверений, выдача российских водительских удостоверений производится на общих основаниях на срок действия регистрации их документов на право временного пребывания в Российской Федерации.
46. Лицам, временно пребывающим на территории Российской Федерации, замена их иностранных национальных водительских удостоверений на российские водительские удостоверения, а также выдача им российских водительских удостоверений взамен утраченных (похищенных) иностранных национальных водительских удостоверений не производится, если иное не предусмотрено международными договорами Российской Федерации.
47. Сотрудникам дипломатических представительств и консульских учреждений иностранных государств в Российской Федерации и членам их семей, сотрудникам международных организаций и их представительств, аккредитованных при Министерстве иностранных дел Российской Федерации, и членам их семей, имеющим дипломатические, консульские, служебные карточки или удостоверения, выданные Министерством иностранных дел Российской Федерации, по их желанию выдаются российские водительские удостоверения при наличии у этих лиц действительных иностранных национальных водительских удостоверений. Выдача российских водительских удостоверений указанным лицам осуществляется без прохождения ими медицинского освидетельствования и сдачи экзаменов.

При отсутствии у этих лиц иностранных национальных водительских удостоверений российские водительские удостоверения выдаются им на общих основаниях.

48. Иностранное национальное водительское удостоверение лица, переехавшего на постоянное жительство в Российскую Федерацию, на территории Российской Федерации считается недействительным по истечении 60 дней с даты получения в органах внутренних дел Российской Федерации разрешения на постоянное проживание в Российской Федерации или с даты въезда на территорию Российской Федерации, если разрешение на постоянное проживание было получено в дипломатическом представительстве либо консульском учреждении Российской Федерации в иностранном государстве. Замена таких удостоверений производится в порядке п.40 настоящих правил.

Source- Информационный портал ГАИ РУ: Правила сдачи квалификационных экзаменов и выдачи Водительского Удостоверения (http://www.gai.ru/PermisDeConduire/p406/)

For everyone's convenience I have translated point no.44 from above law as follows-

44. In the Russian Federation the persons temporarily staying in its territory, have the right to operate vehicles in the presence of the international or foreign national driver's licence corresponding to requirements of the Convention on traffic of 1968 records which are written in Latin alphabet(read English).

web
21-10-2009, 04:18
For anyone who has doubts with this, I've talked today with a GAI officer who's in charge of GAI department at 6ya radialnaya street where foreigners are getting their russian drivers licence.

1. If you have a desire to get a russian drivers licence, you have to go to 6ya radialnaya dom 1, pay some taxes, show your national drivers licence and pass a written test (20 questions for 20 minutes) and you are allowed to make 2 mistakes. If you apss, you get russian drivers licence VALID AS LONG AS YOUR VISA IS VALID. When both your visa and your russian drivers licence expires, when you gat new visa you can renew your russian drivers licence.

2. You DO NOT HAVE TO GET RUSSIAN DRIVER'S LICENCE if you do not have temp. or permanent residence. You can drive with your national driver's licence with a regular translation (international driver's permit), AS LONG AS YOU ARE IN RUSSIA BUT NOT LONGER THEN ONE YEAR as IDL is issued for a period of 1 year. Then you can just renew your IDL and keep drivin'

However, if you do get a residence here (temp or permanent - вид на жительство), you have to go to pass the same written test as above and exchange your national driver's licence for a russian one in 60 days after you get the residence.
3. IDP booklet translates your national driver's licence in 9 languages - english, arabic, russian, japanese, portugese, chinese, german, spanish and french and each page has the same information. only the page that has your photo and your signature gets stamped. However, you can ask your national motor department or whoever issues you your IDP to stap all the other pages.

4.If you get harrased by the GAI regarding your IDP and "wrong translation" feel free to call any of these:
moscow traffic police internal control 200-9081, 200-8936
moscow traffic police "trusted line" 250-9810
24h traffic police operator 924-3117

I have Canadian driver's licence that was renewed last year and I have IDP based on that licence. In Moscow, I was NEVER asked a single question about the russian translation etc so I guess that the topic starter just had a bad luck. I also have a temp residence here until 2012 and in 2007 i've exchanged my old canadian driver's licence for a russian driver's licence and got it until 2017. However, i still use IDP+canadian drivers licence coz, when they pull me over, makes them let go instantly. Everytime I show them russian drivers licence they are looking for a way to get money from me. IDP, for some reason, makes them to let me go right away.

Pretty much fresh discussion can be found on GAI website here
Информационный портал ГАИ РУ: Конференция (http://www.gai.ru/conference/dep46/topic510363/)

bipil
30-11-2009, 14:56
Hi iam a canadian citizen studying in russia, this is my first year, I have visa and registration here in Kazan,tatarstan russia valid for 1 year and renewable every year.
I also have a valid canadian licence and also international driving licence obtained from CAA( Canadian automobile association) also valid till next year.
I dont know the IDP(international driving permit) issued to me shows all countries accepting the IDP but doesnt have russia listed but has all the other CIS countries like kazakstan , ukraine etc listed could there be a mistake in it.
I also would like to know how to obtain a russian local driving license and also later get a car because i am here for 6 years but will be going back to Canada every summer.
I went to the local office here in Kazan, first i was sent Orenburgsky trakt 11 and then from there i was sent to another office at Modalnei dom 10 but none of them spoke english and they are saying that only Russian citizens are allowed to get the russian license which obiviously is thieir ignorance about their own laws when i asked where does it say that "only" russian citizens are able to get a russian license the lady was simply avoiding my questions.
I would like some information regarding how to obtain a license and also a clarification as to why Russia is not listed among the countries in my IDP even though there is a russian translation page available in the IDP.
Please somebody help, iam even willing to travel to moscow and get this done in my christmas vacation if i have to.
Or if someone can give me a foriegner's department name that i could look up in the phone book that helps foriegners get a driving license here , i will bug my university people to help me with it.
iam lucky to find this website , i think i will be able to get somewhere now, for the past few weeks i was really worried.
:wavey::mml:

GaNozri
30-11-2009, 15:13
I'll tell you more. my NJ DL expired in 2005. Everytime I'm in NYC, I'm too busy to cross the Hudson, and especially wait in line at the DMV. Guess what? I've been driving with the IDL only (without the national DL) ever since. Get pulled over on a regular basis. Never paid a dime over it.

P.S. and I have Russian citizenship to boot!

tgma
01-12-2009, 11:12
Bipil
if you are here temporarily, then you should be fine on an International Drivers' Licence. For the average GAI in the street, if it looks official enough, and there is text in Russian, I think it will be OK. That's if they are not trying to shake you down.
If they are trying to shake you down, then it really depends on your faith in your knowledge of Russian language and law - everyone has their own approach. My experience in Moscow is that if I know I've broken a rule, then I just pay to get out of there. If I haven't broken a rule, and they are checking my documents, then in most cases, they are just doing random checks to find drunk people or stolen cars, and if your documents are in order, you are OK.
This is in Moscow, and it may be different in the provinces. In these cases, you should be fine with an IDP - they are not going to go deep into your visa status, etc, as it will take too much of their time, and they will just look for easier pickings. But you need to be sure that all your documents are in order and present, i.e. ownership documents, power of attorney, if needed (remember they expire after three years!) and insurance documents, and TEO (roadworthiness), etc.

Aussie1973
01-12-2009, 17:48
For anyone who has doubts with this, I've talked today with a GAI officer who's in charge of GAI department at 6ya radialnaya street where foreigners are getting their russian drivers licence.

1. If you have a desire to get a russian drivers licence, you have to go to 6ya radialnaya dom 1, pay some taxes, show your national drivers licence and pass a written test (20 questions for 20 minutes) and you are allowed to make 2 mistakes. If you apss, you get russian drivers licence VALID AS LONG AS YOUR VISA IS VALID. When both your visa and your russian drivers licence expires, when you gat new visa you can renew your russian drivers licence.

2. You DO NOT HAVE TO GET RUSSIAN DRIVER'S LICENCE if you do not have temp. or permanent residence. You can drive with your national driver's licence with a regular translation (international driver's permit), AS LONG AS YOU ARE IN RUSSIA BUT NOT LONGER THEN ONE YEAR as IDL is issued for a period of 1 year. Then you can just renew your IDL and keep drivin'

However, if you do get a residence here (temp or permanent - вид на жительство), you have to go to pass the same written test as above and exchange your national driver's licence for a russian one in 60 days after you get the residence.
3. IDP booklet translates your national driver's licence in 9 languages - english, arabic, russian, japanese, portugese, chinese, german, spanish and french and each page has the same information. only the page that has your photo and your signature gets stamped. However, you can ask your national motor department or whoever issues you your IDP to stap all the other pages.

4.If you get harrased by the GAI regarding your IDP and "wrong translation" feel free to call any of these:
moscow traffic police internal control 200-9081, 200-8936
moscow traffic police "trusted line" 250-9810
24h traffic police operator 924-3117

I have Canadian driver's licence that was renewed last year and I have IDP based on that licence. In Moscow, I was NEVER asked a single question about the russian translation etc so I guess that the topic starter just had a bad luck. I also have a temp residence here until 2012 and in 2007 i've exchanged my old canadian driver's licence for a russian driver's licence and got it until 2017. However, i still use IDP+canadian drivers licence coz, when they pull me over, makes them let go instantly. Everytime I show them russian drivers licence they are looking for a way to get money from me. IDP, for some reason, makes them to let me go right away.

Pretty much fresh discussion can be found on GAI website here
Информационный портал ГАИ РУ: Конференция (http://www.gai.ru/conference/dep46/topic510363/)

Just Missed One Thing

The rules on the need to acquire a Russian licence do not apply if your temporary residence was issued as a result of a Diplomatic Accreditation to Russia.

Thanks for clearing everything up!

bipil
05-12-2009, 14:11
I just needed a confirmation is Russia really a part of the treaty that was signed in 1949 , because Russia in not mentioned as one of the countries in the list accepting IDP, this IDP was issued by the CAA(Canadian Automobile Association). Some former soviet republics like Kazakstan and Ukraine are listed but not Russia. Did the break up soviet union effect the laws in any way did they have to renew/confirm to stay with the treaty.
Also another question, what are the different ways of getting a car to drive with my IDP, do we have to get a russian to buy a car for us and we pay them the insurance and costs of the car? or do we need to rent a car becuase i dont know if it is able to own and register a car with the International driving permit(IDP).
I live in Kazan so not many foriegners here.
:question:

GaNozri
05-12-2009, 16:08
If you turn ON your logic, you might understand, that in 1949 there was no Russia, Kazakhstan, or any other Stans. The signatory was the USSR, of which Russian Federation is the legal successor.

obedike
06-12-2009, 19:05
The common practice is to buy the car through a Russian, like you mentioned. From what I know, If you have a stay permit of 3 years or there about, you can buy one in your name, but you will be paying a lot more tax than if bought through a Russian.
You can use your IDP, but you need to have your national driving permit as well. Both need to be translated to russian.

Ashu_rider
16-12-2009, 21:55
In Russia police can do whatever they want .

If they want to have your money they find something in your document or car ...

u r absolutely right. m agree. once i also checked by police. he askd me show me ur documents and 10 mints dey checked after tht dey said to me ur registration is not in good condition we can't read anything. atlast i paid 300 rubles.. hahahahahahah

Bridge
18-12-2009, 13:59
i've used translated notorized copy of liscense from UK and never had a problem.

qmab
23-01-2010, 16:29

I got a Russian license 10 years ago before everything began to be given for the duration of your visa. So it was issued for 10 years, which are up in Oct. The idea of renewing my license once a year doesn't appeal.
Q:
Has anyone managed to get a longer term license?
Do you have to take the test each renewal?
Do you have to wait until it expires or can you renew it in advance?

Many thanks

Rhubard Geoff
23-01-2010, 17:05
If you have a business visa or work visa you are required by law to have a Russian drivers license.

Do you have a link to the law that says this???

Vadim
25-01-2010, 01:13
No, this is probably a bit wrong. I think ADAMST56 ment that if one is a resident in Russia, its International Licence becomes invalid, as a place of habitual residence is no longer outside of Russia. Same rules applies in the UK: I was able to use my Russian International Licence during the first year only (under a migrant visa), and was required to apply for a national one when this grace period ended.

lehua768
04-05-2010, 05:34
My boyfriend usually ends up paying something, bribe or fine, but he is Russian, I think the equation works out differently for him (more likely to get a fine). The best approach is to just be like "yeah cool I'll go to bayarsky pereulok (or wherever) and pay the fine" and wait for them to stop waiting for you to give a bribe. These guys are so stupid.

trebor
04-05-2010, 06:32
........2. You DO NOT HAVE TO GET RUSSIAN DRIVER'S LICENCE if you do not have temp. or permanent residence. You can drive with your national driver's licence with a regular translation (international driver's permit), AS LONG AS YOU ARE IN RUSSIA BUT NOT LONGER THEN ONE YEAR as IDL is issued for a period of 1 year. Then you can just renew your IDL and keep drivin'..............[/url]

A Swedish friend of mine in Vladivostok drove for 4 years like that and never had a problem.

sad131
26-05-2010, 02:08
hello evbody !!privet vsem !i want to know that if the russian trafic police find from a foreigner driver a fake foreigner international driving lisences(not russian),so what kind of laws he will suffer?is the punishment same for him???

sad131
26-05-2010, 02:09
Just Missed One Thing

The rules on the need to acquire a Russian licence do not apply if your temporary residence was issued as a result of a Diplomatic Accreditation to Russia.

Thanks for clearing everything up!
hello evbody !!privet vsem !i want to know that if the russian trafic police find from a foreigner driver a fake foreigner international driving lisences(not russian),so what kind of laws he will suffer?is the punishment same for him???

sad131
26-05-2010, 02:14
hello evbody !!privet vsem !i want to know that if the russian trafic police find from a foreigner driver a fake foreigner international driving lisences(not russian),so what kind of laws he will suffer?is the punishment same for him?

sad131
26-05-2010, 15:37
privet !!hello!!how are you?i read your posts they help me and others so much..i need to know that if i am a foreigner and i have a fake foreigner international driving lisence ..and trafic police find from me ..can they case me as just like russian fake documents ?........plz i need to know...i am a student here in russian ..i dont have any work visa..i cant work here ...but they knew from any where that i have a fake international driving lisence..and they find from me and its now proof that my international driving lisence is fake..my driving lisence was PAKISTANI INTERNATIONAL DRIVING LISENCE ...so i want to know that can they case me on that international driving lisence acording to russian laws ..?

SV1973a
26-05-2010, 15:42
privet !!hello!!how are you?i read your posts they help me and others so much..i need to know that if i am a foreigner and i have a fake foreigner international driving lisence ..and trafic police find from me ..can they case me as just like russian fake documents ........plz i need to know...

Apparently, you did not follow the Russian news lately.
You will be shot on the spot and buried by a GAIshnik.

Why do you ask this question ? Do you have a faked license ?

I definitely do not want to be in your shoes if you get caught by the Russian cops.

sad131
28-05-2010, 01:52
i dont understand you ?can you please breif me all?do you know any laws?i want that anybody knew me about that ?

SV1973a
28-05-2010, 07:56
It will not be your best day when the Russian GAI catches you with falsified documents.
Best case is that you will bribe them, but that will be big money.
Worst case is that you will be prosecuted.

About the Russian news, not so long ago somebody was killed by a GAI officer (probably involuntary) and buried in a hole in the ground.

Exciter
28-05-2010, 08:09
i dont understand you ?can you please breif me all?do you know any laws?i want that anybody knew me about that ?

F&CK ME SIDEWAYS!!!!!! Are there ANY expats here at all!?!??!?!?!? Or just some weird DNA-stray of Russians hell-bent on trying to hone what they think - a command of the English language?!??!?!?!??!

Picku
28-05-2010, 16:56
You do need translation of your Driving license to avoid problem. As said before when Traffic inspector stops you for checks, well he is god’s representative and has all rights.

au7045
23-06-2010, 04:32
You do need translation of your Driving license to avoid problem. As said before when Traffic inspector stops you for checks, well he is god’s representative and has all rights.
Okay, here is my experience so far. I have a California DL (which, by the way is expired since November, 2008)Before starting to drive here in Russia I took a trip to the local GBDD for my district in Moscow, waited there in line and spoke with a colonel of GBDD. I showed him my DL and the US passport, (which has an expired visa. I never bothered to renew it since I am also a Russian citizen) The colonel took all my documents, and disappeared for about 15 minutes - I was about to start worrying but he came back and said that everything was in order and that I am legally allowed to drive with what I have so long as I have my US passport handy. The next day after that I went on a 1500mi road trip across Russia. The car that I drove was a just purchased 2000' Volga 3110, and since I did not have time to register it, it still had temporary paper transit sips. As you can imagine I was just a magnet for the Russian GAI. I was getting stopped at almost every GAI post. The first thing out of my mouth to them (in Russian) was to say that Iam a US citizen, and am driving with my national DL, their response for the most part was to solute me a wish me safe on my way - they just didn't want to bother. Except for once at a GAI post about 3 hours from Moscow. A middle aged lieutenant pulled me over and after seeing my docs imediately said that I am not allowed to drive with this and escorted me to inside the post. There in a raised tone of voice he proceed to tell me that this DL is not excepted as a valid license to drive in Russia, and that for all he knows it might even be fake. I calmly listed to him, and tried to explain, that they are valid, and that he has no right to waste my time, this apparently vexed him even more. He told me that he will have to detain me for further inquiry. This is when I lost it and told him, that I am not an idiot, and before going on this journey I went to the GAI office in Moscow and, not some shitty little hole in the wall like this, and talked to a 3 star colonel and not an aging lieutenant like him, and that I was assured that all my papers were in order and that I am legally allowed drive with this DL, so if he has a problem with this he need to call his superiors, and have them explain to him the international laws, meanwhile I am going to call the embassy and arrange for a US counsel to come out on site to get this resolved. In that moment it seemed that the whole flow inside the post stopped, and everybody that was there turned and was looking at us. Then a few seconds later, a captain got up and signaled the lieutenant to follow him, they came back no more then 2 minutes later, the captain gave me a salute, and in an indifferent tone of voice said I could go.
Since then I was pulled over numerous times, in some cases for violations, in some for random checks, and usually the cops flip and turn the license in their hands, say that they don't understand it, and let me go, in most cases I don't even have to pay the fine. On several occasions, I have had the cops tell me that they need to see the notarized translation of my DL, and in every case I have told them that my DL is in English, and that English is an excepted an international language, so their inability to read or understand the contents of the DL does not change the legitimacy of it. Usually if you sound confident they won't try to argue with you. One, I think they don't cover this in their schooling and two, I don't think that they deal with western foreign drivers very often.
Also just remember, If the militia ever give you grief, remind them that you must contact your countries counsel, and that GBDD staff can't do anything until the counsel gets there. Prosecuting foreigners is not the GBDD's jurisdiction. The only thing they can do is detain you for up to 3 hours (I think they changed it to three hours, before it used to be 5) and are not allowed to hold you longer then that. As you can imagine the counsel will not get there in 3 hours or even 5 so the only thing GBDD can legaly do is pass you on to other authorities, which translates into ton of paperwork, and an enormous amount of headache for them. So your offence will have to be quite serious for them to want to do this. Just think about how many hurdles they will have to jump through to get you justifiably detained. In 99% of the time they are not going to bother with a western foreign citizen. Also keep in mind that the law allows you to videotape any communication with GBDD, and that a camera is a very powerful weapon. GAIshniki hate it, but can't do anything about it. However the thought of being showcased on youtube, or worse - on TV especially that of a foreign country is a nightmare to them and potentially can mean the end of their carrier if they did something wrong.
Anyhow... So sorry for the long story, but hopefully somebody will find it useful.

SV1973a
23-06-2010, 08:23
On several occasions, I have had the cops tell me that they need to see the notarized translation of my DL, and in every case I have told them that my DL is in English, and that English is an excepted an international language, so their inability to read or understand the contents of the DL does not change the legitimacy of it.

Interesting experience.
However, according to the law, if you are driving with a foreign DL (if it is not an international DL) the GAI have the right to request a notarised translation of your DL.
English is NOT excepted as an international language.

Usually if you sound confident they won't try to argue with you. One, I think they don't cover this in their schooling and two, I don't think that they deal with western foreign drivers very often.

Your strategy seems to be to frighten the GAI? I would not do this. I always stay calm and polite. In all cases I was stopped, the GAI has been calm and polite to me as well.

The only thing they can do is detain you for up to 3 hours (I think they changed it to three hours, before it used to be 5) and are not allowed to hold you longer then that.

And so this is what they can do, detain you for exactly 3 hours.

As you can imagine the counsel will not get there in 3 hours or even 5 so the only thing GBDD can legaly do is pass you on to other authorities, which translates into ton of paperwork, and an enormous amount of headache for them. So your offence will have to be quite serious for them to want to do this. Just think about how many hurdles they will have to jump through to get you justifiably detained. In 99% of the time they are not going to bother with a western foreign citizen.

If you are really trying to be touch an them, I think you might end being beaten up. On some deserted road, I think they also may take away your camera and destroy it.

By the way, when you had your discussion in the post, did you speak Russian or English ?

au7045
23-06-2010, 13:07
Interesting experience.
However, according to the law, if you are driving with a foreign DL (if it is not an international DL) the GAI have the right to request a notarized translation of your DL.

For this I would like to mention an earlier post where a cut out from the Russian law was posted:
44. In the Russian Federation the persons temporarily staying in its territory, have the right to operate vehicles in the presence of the international or foreign national driver's license corresponding to requirements of the Convention on traffic of 1968 records which are written in Latin alphabet(read English).

Your strategy seems to be to frighten the GAI? I would not do this. I always stay calm and polite. In all cases I was stopped, the GAI has been calm and polite to me as well.

I completely agree with you! Polite and calm IS absolutely the right way to approach any GAI officer - just as it is with any other person of authority. However there is always a limit to everything. It is very important to know and understand the law and it is important not to let them bully you around and use their "Scare" tactics on you which are just that, they will try to intimidate you and play off on your lack of confidence in knowing the law. In reality their jurisdiction is very limited and even more so in dealing with foreigners. Like I said earlier in the majority of cases they won't bother with you, a simple compliance with their requests, and a polite and respectful demeanor is all that is required to get through the ordeal. However on that very rare occasion when they do harass i think it's justifiable and necessary to be firm.

And so this is what they can do, detain you for exactly 3 hours.

If you are really trying to be touch an them, I think you might end being beaten up. On some deserted road, I think they also may take away your camera and destroy it.

I think the chances of you getting beaten up by them are about the same as they are anywhere else. I have personally been a witness of several instances of cops using excessive violence and going above the law in the US in the 20 years I spent there. Once it even landed my good friend in a hospital where he spent over a month recuperating from getting beaten up by the police, simply for us walking by a big fight that broke out in front of a club in San Francisco. I think here, in Russia, especially in the recent months, after a string of violent crimes committed by the melicia men, and the subsequent restructuring of the MVD and other enacted presidential directives, the laws governing GBDD have become a lot more strict, and GBDDshiniki a lot more cautious. As far as them breaking your camera goes, though that is hypothetically possible it is again unlikely. You can check out some of these scenes with camera on youtube it's actually quite funny. This has been on the news quite a bit lately, it is in fact been publicly encouraged by the militia officials.

By the way, when you had your discussion in the post, did you speak Russian or English ?

Yes I am a Russian-American so on all occasions I spoke Russian with them.

Also keep in mind that if you feel that you have been unfairly treated by the police, or that your rights have been violated by the GAI (GBDD) you can always file a formal compliant with the: Главного Управления собственной безопасности МВД - which is a Main Department of Personal Safety of MVD. This is an organization governing internal behavior and internal violations committed by the Ministry of internal Afairs (MVD) Staff. Here is where you can get all the info on the subject: h t t p: / / www .mvd. ru/ struct/ 3307/

zingo
24-06-2010, 20:40
The below is a perfect BS for ON E reason at least: A guy who has any double Russian-XXX citizenship, when in Russia, is considered as RUSSIAN, and so has no right at all to call his other citizenship embassy.

Moreover, US passport with NO visa inside just means that this US passport is NOT valid to be used in Russia. Consequently, the guy is NOT considered as a US citizen at all, but as a Russian.

And as a Russian he must have a valid RUSSIAN DL.

Only foreigners are allowed to use a non Russian DL in some PRECISE cases (delay, kind of visa they use etc).

And last, the US DL is told to be expired since 18 months! Do you think that ANY colonel of GAI would not see this???

Assuming that the story below is true (I believe more in some big mouth wanting to post a troll), the colonel who told the US DL is valid was 100% wrong. He should have at least checked the passport and visa of the guy, should have seen that a NO VISA passport is NOT valid, that the guy is RUSSIAN, and should have kicked his a$$ sending him to pass the test to get a Russian DL, or at least to exchange his crappy (for Russia) US DL to a valid Russian DL.

Conditions under which NON Russians may drive with their non Russians DL have been posted a few times and are still accurate.
And people who believe they can just shout at the GAI or any police control to be right, will for sure have serious surprises, ESPECIALLY if they are wrong, as the XXX who posted the message copied below.
But usually, big mouths on public boards are the biggest cowards IRL...

Okay, here is my experience so far. I have a California DL (which, by the way is expired since November, 2008)Before starting to drive here in Russia I took a trip to the local GBDD for my district in Moscow, waited there in line and spoke with a colonel of GBDD. I showed him my DL and the US passport, (which has an expired visa. I never bothered to renew it since I am also a Russian citizen) The colonel took all my documents, and disappeared for about 15 minutes - I was about to start worrying but he came back and said that everything was in order and that I am legally allowed to drive with what I have so long as I have my US passport handy. The next day after that I went on a 1500mi road trip across Russia. The car that I drove was a just purchased 2000' Volga 3110, and since I did not have time to register it, it still had temporary paper transit sips. As you can imagine I was just a magnet for the Russian GAI. I was getting stopped at almost every GAI post. The first thing out of my mouth to them (in Russian) was to say that Iam a US citizen, and am driving with my national DL, their response for the most part was to solute me a wish me safe on my way - they just didn't want to bother. Except for once at a GAI post about 3 hours from Moscow. A middle aged lieutenant pulled me over and after seeing my docs imediately said that I am not allowed to drive with this and escorted me to inside the post. There in a raised tone of voice he proceed to tell me that this DL is not excepted as a valid license to drive in Russia, and that for all he knows it might even be fake. I calmly listed to him, and tried to explain, that they are valid, and that he has no right to waste my time, this apparently vexed him even more. He told me that he will have to detain me for further inquiry. This is when I lost it and told him, that I am not an idiot, and before going on this journey I went to the GAI office in Moscow and, not some shitty little hole in the wall like this, and talked to a 3 star colonel and not an aging lieutenant like him, and that I was assured that all my papers were in order and that I am legally allowed drive with this DL, so if he has a problem with this he need to call his superiors, and have them explain to him the international laws, meanwhile I am going to call the embassy and arrange for a US counsel to come out on site to get this resolved. In that moment it seemed that the whole flow inside the post stopped, and everybody that was there turned and was looking at us. Then a few seconds later, a captain got up and signaled the lieutenant to follow him, they came back no more then 2 minutes later, the captain gave me a salute, and in an indifferent tone of voice said I could go.
Since then I was pulled over numerous times, in some cases for violations, in some for random checks, and usually the cops flip and turn the license in their hands, say that they don't understand it, and let me go, in most cases I don't even have to pay the fine. On several occasions, I have had the cops tell me that they need to see the notarized translation of my DL, and in every case I have told them that my DL is in English, and that English is an excepted an international language, so their inability to read or understand the contents of the DL does not change the legitimacy of it. Usually if you sound confident they won't try to argue with you. One, I think they don't cover this in their schooling and two, I don't think that they deal with western foreign drivers very often.
Also just remember, If the militia ever give you grief, remind them that you must contact your countries counsel, and that GBDD staff can't do anything until the counsel gets there. Prosecuting foreigners is not the GBDD's jurisdiction. The only thing they can do is detain you for up to 3 hours (I think they changed it to three hours, before it used to be 5) and are not allowed to hold you longer then that. As you can imagine the counsel will not get there in 3 hours or even 5 so the only thing GBDD can legaly do is pass you on to other authorities, which translates into ton of paperwork, and an enormous amount of headache for them. So your offence will have to be quite serious for them to want to do this. Just think about how many hurdles they will have to jump through to get you justifiably detained. In 99% of the time they are not going to bother with a western foreign citizen. Also keep in mind that the law allows you to videotape any communication with GBDD, and that a camera is a very powerful weapon. GAIshniki hate it, but can't do anything about it. However the thought of being showcased on youtube, or worse - on TV especially that of a foreign country is a nightmare to them and potentially can mean the end of their carrier if they did something wrong.
Anyhow... So sorry for the long story, but hopefully somebody will find it useful.

Surfsup37
24-06-2010, 21:10
I look at this way:

Some people want to stay legal and some people are willing to push the rules.

I live in Moscow and I get stopped at least once a month, usally doc check. The last 10 or 12 checks, I have had no problem. I have a international DL (It is linked to my national DL and the same information is listed in some 10 or 12 different langages including Russian. )

I have a US DL, but I never show it unless asked. I have only been asked once in Moscow.

I was stopped for speeding yesterday, and given a paper where I have to pay a fine.

Legal vs Illegal

My guess is that 99% of GAInik have no idea what is a legal or illegal foreign license. Could I bluff them with a fake one? Probably, but it is possible that one of these guys could know what is legal or not.

What is the legal ramifications. No idea, but I assume you might be able to bribe your way out, but it could be really expensive.

It does seem that the GAIniki have gotten nicer to Expats in the last couple of years. Before that, I usually had to argue about my car papers, but never my license.

My advice - At a minium, have a tranlated and nortorized copy of your DL, or at least an international DL.

SV1973a
24-06-2010, 21:16
A guy who has any double Russian-XXX citizenship, when in Russia, is considered as RUSSIAN, and so has no right at all to call his other citizenship embassy.

He did not say that he has Russian citizenship... He may be the sun of immigrants to the USA, but without a Russian passport.

zingo
24-06-2010, 21:26
He did not say that he has Russian citizenship... He may be the sun of immigrants to the USA, but without a Russian passport.

HE wrote: I showed him my DL and the US passport, (which has an expired visa. I never bothered to renew it since I am also a Russian citizen)

A russian citizen has russian citizenship and is considered as RUSSIAN in Russia, evenif he has 10 other citizenships. All his story is pure craps,

SV1973a
24-06-2010, 21:55
HE wrote: I showed him my DL and the US passport, (which has an expired visa. I never bothered to renew it since I am also a Russian citizen)

A russian citizen has russian citizenship and is considered as RUSSIAN in Russia, evenif he has 10 other citizenships. All his story is pure craps,

Yes, you are correct, I must have read over it.
In such cases the US consulate is powerless, and what`s more, they probably won`t even try to interfere, so as no to cause a diplomatic incident.
On the other hand, I personally know Russians with a second citizenship, and when stopped by the police, they constantly show their foreign DL.
It always surprised me that GAI never gave them any problems for this.

au7045
24-06-2010, 23:52
The below is a perfect BS for ON E reason at least: A guy who has any double Russian-XXX citizenship, when in Russia, is considered as RUSSIAN, and so has no right at all to call his other citizenship embassy.

Moreover, US passport with NO visa inside just means that this US passport is NOT valid to be used in Russia. Consequently, the guy is NOT considered as a US citizen at all, but as a Russian.

And as a Russian he must have a valid RUSSIAN DL.

Only foreigners are allowed to use a non Russian DL in some PRECISE cases (delay, kind of visa they use etc).

And last, the US DL is told to be expired since 18 months! Do you think that ANY colonel of GAI would not see this???

Assuming that the story below is true (I believe more in some big mouth wanting to post a troll), the colonel who told the US DL is valid was 100% wrong. He should have at least checked the passport and visa of the guy, should have seen that a NO VISA passport is NOT valid, that the guy is RUSSIAN, and should have kicked his a$$ sending him to pass the test to get a Russian DL, or at least to exchange his crappy (for Russia) US DL to a valid Russian DL.

Conditions under which NON Russians may drive with their non Russians DL have been posted a few times and are still accurate.
And people who believe they can just shout at the GAI or any police control to be right, will for sure have serious surprises, ESPECIALLY if they are wrong, as the XXX who posted the message copied below.
But usually, big mouths on public boards are the biggest cowards IRL...

Zingo. My case walks on the gray side of the law. I am a returnee and have been living in Russia for nearly two years since my return. There is a couple of points which I guess I should clarify. But before I do, I must say that I have been driving in Russia for just under two years since I came back here, however during the 20 years that I spent in the US, I came here numerous times for a various length visits, and always drove with my CDL, I did not get a Russian passport until a moved back here. Since I came back though I have been pulled over countless times, mainly because I do a lot of traveling around Russia, and unfortunately that means a lot of GAI posts along the way, as those that have been outside of Moscow know. And knock on wood, I have never had a serious problem other then the one incident that I mentioned in my story and a few uncomfortable moments. I'm not going to go into all the intricasies of my situation here and now, my situation is different then that of those regular expats, here on the site (However for the 20 years that I have visited here I was exactly in the same situation as most of you. Only a US passport with a valid visa, and a California DL), but I do want to answer the main points you guys have made.
Zingo is right in one thing and that the US Embassy would not attempt any rescues for me here. And yes, technically I am considered a Russian, since my visa is expired. BUT! First of all, GBDD do not have the authority, and thus the training to prosecute foreign citizens, only to pass them on to other authorities that do, which as I have mentioned earlier is such a huge headache, that 99% of the time they won't bother. And even though I usually showed them my Russian passport as well, they still don't know what to do with me or what to consider me after seing the US passport. Usually I simply tell them that I am in the process of getting my Russian DL, but until then continue to drive with my CDL as I have before. As for the embassy statement (which as a correction) happened only once since i moved to Russia the time I outlined in my post, and please note I said in the post that "That's when I lost it!". I have told the GAI numerous times about the US Counsel before when I was visiting Russia as an American, and I guess it was just a reflex. In this my case it was a bluff, but in most of your cases it would be exactly what you can and should do. As to what pertains to the colonel, if you reread my story you will see that there is no correlation between me having an expired DL and me having an audience with the colonel. I have been living in Moscow for just under two years, and have been driving almost as long here. MY CDL expired as you said 18 months ago after I started driving here, thus when I spoke with the colonel, my CDL vas valid. However, that does not change the fact that I can't count the times that I have been pulled over with my expired DL and not one GAIshnik has ever mentioned it! In case dear Mr. Zingo have any further doubts, I would be happy to scan, and later attach a picture of violation ticket I got some time ago, which was given to me by a GBDD major (I think his rank should be listed on the ticket), and which was given to me under my California Drivers License. And dear Mr. Zingo, respectfully, I ask you to please refrain from name calling, you sound like you picked up your manners from a fish salesman at a rural market. I posted my story as it happened, with no exaggeration, because I thought that some people might find it useful to them, especially those that think that Milicia is above the law, which it is not. In Russia you can find a way with most people, and can get things done if you know how. I do not go around yelling at people, or calling them names, or being rude to them, as you make it sound, but I can assure you that if you let people ride over, or take advantage of you in this country (just as in many others) they surely will! I don't want to sound like cocky know-it-all, please forgive me if I came off like that! I am not claiming to be an expert on the subject, by no means! but I am sharing what I have experienced, and the things that have happened to me. Maybe somebody will find this information useful...

TD
25-06-2010, 01:20
Interesting experience.
However, according to the law, if you are driving with a foreign DL (if it is not an international DL) the GAI have the right to request a notarised translation of your DL.

In my 20 years of driving in Moscow I found the best combination of documents to be my (current & valid) US driver's license and a notarized translation. Since my (Russian) wife was always listed as the owner of the car(s), I also had a devironost as well. This document was simply hand written by her and signed - no need for the notary, though one important point is to specify the period of time it is valid for as some GIBDD will look for that info. We usually did it for three years at a time.

In the early 90's a pack of imported cigs might be enough to get you off. I also had some GAI t-shirts and baseball caps printed up for gifts which usually went over well, and in some cases I would be remembered favorably during future "incidents" :-)

au7045
25-06-2010, 03:19
I also had some GAI t-shirts and baseball caps printed up for gifts which usually went over well, and in some cases I would be remembered favorably during future "incidents" :-)

GAI T-shirts, that's genius!! And absolutely hilarious!!!! I love it! What did they say?

pjw
25-06-2010, 03:40
In the early 90's a pack of imported cigs might be enough to get you off. I also had some GAI t-shirts and baseball caps printed up for gifts which usually went over well, and..... I would be remembered favorably during future "incidents" :-)
On the 1st point they can see that

the p is being completely taken. They know this. It's clear. They get tshirts&caps.......not a bad memorandium of this time that we both knew was happening.........to celebrate. And now? Caps, tshirts, whatever? I dunno. I'm in marshrutka. Outside? I dunno...........

Candia
28-06-2010, 03:25
Hi Akk,
Stupid questiont ime and to be sure, I am anadian citizen going to be on a 1 year business visa and wanting to drive, I think the car part has been answered, but I am in the process of changing provincial licences and when I leave will only have the temporary licence and will get a IDL based on that. The main licence will arrive in my mail after I have left for Russia. Can I drive on ony the IDL with the tempory one or will I be better waiting to have my main licence sent out before I proceed.
What is the best way to mail this into the country, which carrier from North America the safest I mean.
Thanks in advance.

Candia
28-06-2010, 03:28
Hi All,
Stupid questiont time and to be sure, I am Canadian citizen going to be on a 1 year business visa and wanting to drive, I think the car part has been answered, but I am in the process of changing provincial licences and when I leave will only have the temporary licence and will get a IDL based on that. The main licence will arrive in my mail after I have left for Russia. Can I drive on ony the IDL with the tempory one or will I be better waiting to have my main licence sent out before I proceed.
What is the best way to mail this into the country, which carrier from North America the safest I mean.
Thanks in advance.
Sorry about the erors in the above that is what the preview post is for I guess.