PDA

View Full Version : Informal meeting with children

Pingu
26-08-2003, 11:37
As there seem to be a lot of new (and old) expat parents worried about finding schools, friends, clothes, etc for their children, I thought perhaps we could meet up one day with our children, to discuss all the issues of having young children in Moscow, whilst the children play together.

Not sure if anyone would be interested, but I suggest Thursday afternoon (28th August) at 2:30 at the American Bar & Grill near Taganskaya/Kurskaya metros (Zemlyanoy Val, 59.
Phone: (095) 912-36-21, 912-36-15), as they have an indoor playarea there and plenty of parking.

I'll be there with my 3 year old, reading the English Moscow Times - hope to see you there as well! It doesn't matter what nationality you are or how old your children are - this would be just an informal meeting - you can reply to this thread or just turn up!

:)

monleon
26-08-2003, 14:16
Great idea! Will see you there with my two - ages 3 (Sian) & nearly 2 (Max) with a copy of the Moscow Times under my arm with the full intention of reading it sometime this week!!
Monique

Pingu
26-08-2003, 18:51
Look forward to seeing you and hopefully others!

katrin
27-08-2003, 22:29
I would like to come too but two of my three child are sleeping at that time.

meljomur
29-08-2003, 12:36
I think this might be a great opportunity to organize something for parents and children on a regular basis. We haven't yet moved to Moscow (will be departing 19th Sept) but I suspect it may be a bit overwhelming without a bit of support and guidance.

Pingu
29-08-2003, 13:50
Good idea. The American B&G we met at has a children's entertainer on Sundays (it's about the only place that keeps the entertainer during the holiday season - other restaurants and hotels will start having Sunday Brunches with entertainment from next week), so it might be better to meet then.

Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to organise any more meetings, but I'll try to attend them if someone else decides to organise them.

Check with the restaurant what time the entertainer comes in - she came in at 2:00 the first time we went and then she came at 4:00 last weekend, so I'm not sure if she's just changed her schedule.

Hope your move goes well! :)

jigger
29-08-2003, 16:35
I too don't arrive in Moscow until later this year - 7 November to be precise but as a) I'll be new b) darling son will be 2 and bored and c) we are expecting a new baby in Jan 04 I would love the opportunity to meet up with like minded Mums keen to take advantage of all that Moscow offers to children to the full.

If anyone does manage to get a regular thing going please count me in for the future.

Kind regards

moscowmail
29-08-2003, 16:41
Well done, this is exactly the reason we have this site.

If you need any help organising let me know, we may be able to organise locations for you.

Good luck

Len

Mel
01-09-2003, 14:28
I have a daughter of 4 and would love to join such meetings and also happy to help.

Sunday brunch is a good idea but could be a bit croudy. People go there for different reasons and unless the whole group sits at the same table it's difficult to communicate.

Ledka
01-09-2003, 17:05
Think we could organise a club in our children's agency... If someone interested call at 933 28 93 and ask for Tatiana

monleon
01-09-2003, 20:25
I've been in touch with the British Woman's Club (BWC) here as well as the International Women's (IWC); but because of the summer break information on who's organising what in terms of playgroups/Mums and toddlers was a little vague. However the next IWC meeting is on 18th September at the US Embas. residence (Spaso House, Spaso Peskovsky Per. 10) and promises to shed light on such groups. I'll be happy to report back and let you know further details.

Pingu
01-09-2003, 22:55
The BWC meets again next Tuesday, but you have to register in advance and take your passport. I'll also report back to this thread if I'm able to go. I think the IWC is more active, though.

I'm glad this idea has taken off!

Inna
02-09-2003, 13:20
I will be interested to know what everybody thinks about Babyland playgroups on Kropotkinskaya or their kindergarten now located on Sokol.
Thanks.

Pingu
23-09-2003, 11:07
I went to the IWC meeting, but the children's groups (swimming and M&T) were only for children under 2/3 years old. I asked about activities for children in the 2-6 age range and the organiser said she'd get back to me if anything comes up. I'll let you know if I hear from her.

Banister
30-09-2003, 22:04
I've just arrived in Moscow with 2 children (2 years and 10 months), don't work full time and would love to know if anything came of this discussion. Is there now a group meeting up?

meljomur
01-10-2003, 21:50
We just moved here too with our 2 year old and plan on living in the city. Hopefully we can organize something for those of us in the city centre.

Pingu
02-10-2003, 08:19
I suggest next Tuesday (7th October) afternoon, 2:00 onwards, at the same venue - the American Bar & Grill near Taganskaya/Kurskaya metros (Zemlyanoy Val, 59. Restaurant phone: (095) 912-36-21, 912-36-15), as they have an indoor playarea there and plenty of parking. (Please note that there is more than one American B&G - some people went to the wrong one last time!)

As before, I will get a table near the playarea (to the right of the door as you enter) and will have a copy of the Moscow Times - if anyone arrives before me, please do the same! I have a 3 year old son, who will probably be in the playarea!

Let me know if you can come, or just turn up.

Mel
02-10-2003, 11:50
What about working parents?

Shall we do the same at 14.00 on Sunday?

moscowmail
02-10-2003, 11:55
Guys, if you need ANY help re organizing, a place to meet etc, let me know, we at Expat want to help and encourage this type of activity, too often the families are left out of most things.

Good luck

Len

Inna
02-10-2003, 12:02
That's right, what about working parents? And, probably, most small children sleep at 2 p.m.?

Pingu
02-10-2003, 13:47
I did suggest a Sunday Brunch or "Linner" meeting, but some families just want to spend time with each other on weekends. Also, until recently, most families were away or went to their dachas at the weekend. I work part-time, so I usually have a pretty busy week anyway and a Sunday meeting would suit me better.

As no-one else has stepped forward, I just offered another weekday one, as it seems more people have arrived/come back from the holidays and are interested in meeting others with young children here. I was going to propose a regular monthly meeting next week, based around people's normal weekly timetables (kindergarten, extra-activities, sleep, etc). Of course, it would be impossible to please everyone all the time!

Len - maybe I do need some help with this one, if you have any better suggestions/ways of organising this kind of meeting! (I will ask next week about people's schedules and have replied to my PMs, asking the same, so that will probably help.) Thanks!

moscowmail
02-10-2003, 15:38
Pingu

I am all yours, I have a little one on the way and two children in the UK.

Well, lets think how we can work something out, maybe form a small body of mothers initially, almost like a club co-ordination commitee, then keep posting here, i will post announcements for you, it will grow

L