PDA

View Full Version : All McCain's Men, in The Days of Jackals

Carbo
30-10-2008, 12:45
I feel genuinely sad that a man like McCain who I always viewed as a principled, old fashioned conservative who could potentially fight the middle ground for independent votes on level with Obama has been forced to run his campaign like this.

Realistically, this election will be McCain's last hurrah in politics, and I find it pretty sad that the guy has ended up running one of the most risibly pernicious campaigns imaginable. It’s as if he wanted to run as the centrist he is, but the GOP wouldn't let him; while the GOP wanted to run a Rove style campaign full of scurrilous lies and half truths designed to frighten voters and concentrate on emotive moral issues rather than the real issues affecting the country.

In the end, the men in the backroom seem to have won out as poor old John becomes increasingly desperate.

It's sad. Really, what is going to happen here, if you ask me, is that these lies an half truths (for instance, Obama once went to a dinner in honour of a distinguished academic in the employ of prestigious American universities, but who also criticises Israel, therefore, Obama is in league with the PLO and hates Israel) will be believed by the core of the core Republican vote, the hicks, the religious fundamentals and the ignorant (some are all three), but will turn off independents, wavering voters and center-right GOP voters.

Comments and thoughts on this?

elis
30-10-2008, 14:11
Overall, I agree. McCain seemed a much different person just a few years ago. Where once he seemed reasonable--conservative but not crazily so-- now he seems like just a talking head for the really-really conservative end of the GOP. I could be wrong, but a while back, I thought he was pro-choice--if not that at least someone who didn't think it wise to mess with that issue. His crazy rant about "pro-abortionists" in the last debate was totally surprising to me. (That's just the first example that comes to mind.)

But as you imply, it's really not the man running the campaign, but the campaign running him.

I totally agree with turning off indies, waverers, and centrists . . . I think I fall in that category. (But hey . . . I still don't have my ballot, so it could be a moot point. :) )

DDT
30-10-2008, 20:33
Overall, I agree. McCain seemed a much different person just a few years ago. Where once he seemed reasonable--conservative but not crazily so-- now he seems like just a talking head for the really-really conservative end of the GOP. )
McCain hasn't changed. He is still weakly Conservative. Both politicians will appear to the public as anything they think they need to, in order to win the Whitehouse. And I don't know where you got the idea that he is now "really-really conservative ." He basically just voted for socializing the banks.

McCain is still a puss and Obama is still a commie.

elis
30-10-2008, 20:37
And I don't know where you got the idea that he is now "really-really conservative ."

From listening to him?

DDT
30-10-2008, 21:34
From listening to him?Hmm...then perhaps you and Sid should reassess you own political positions. You may be a tad further to the Left than you realize!

Sidney Bliss
31-10-2008, 21:10
Hmm...then perhaps you and Sid should reassess you own political positions. You may be a tad further to the Left than you realize!

The Left? I'm surprised you can even see past the centre from that far out on the Right! And f*** me are the Right far out.