PDA

View Full Version : Importing a tax-free car

vaaltone
27-10-2008, 15:57
Hi,

here are couple of tips/hints from our experience of brining a tax-free car to Moscow:

We bought a European car from US/Florida. Reason was the currency rates at May. It was against Euro ~ 1,60... And second reason was: that the car prices at US are lower than e.g. Germany.

Then we shipped a car to Finland. Cost ~ 1500Eur.

Then we drove a car from Helsinki to Moscow. At the border you need to take insurance for you car. And ofcourse fill couple of papers...

Then at the Moscow we went first to customs office outside MKAD. There we get permit to keep out tax-free car until our visa expires ~1 year. Costs ~3000Rub.

Then we went to GAI for get the Russian plates for our car. Costs ~ 4000Rub.

Basically that was the "process", quite easy.

So now we can keep our tax-free car here in Moscow until our vise expires. Next summer we get new visas for the next one year period. Then we need to go again to Customs office (to get permit to keep out tax-free car until our visa expires) and then GAI (plates).

vaaltone
27-10-2008, 16:01
One additional note:

At Customs office & GAI you'll need to define who is the owner/Driver of your car.

ONLY that person can drive that car ALONE - no one else!!!

That is only applicable for tax-free cars.

Pocket
27-10-2008, 21:46
Are you on a work visa?

thva
28-10-2008, 00:03
One additional note:

At Customs office & GAI you'll need to define who is the owner/Driver of your car.

ONLY that person can drive that car ALONE - no one else!!!

That is only applicable for tax-free cars.

Meaning that for my (Russian) wife to be able to drive it as well, we will need to do the importing and pay the tax?
I have registration for 3 years (Temporary Residence), so this seems to mean that I could register the car for this long too, but I want my wife to be able to drive it too!

karboni
14-11-2008, 10:42
So when you drove the car from Helsinki to the Russian border - did you have registration, insurance, and license plates? If so, from where? Can I just get the car shipped to Moscow and do that all here (without importing, that is, tax free)? Do you know the address where you register a car in Moscow?

Tarmo
15-11-2008, 22:11
But was it not needed to pay customs for temporarily imported car ?

vaaltone
20-11-2008, 20:07
No. Because it is tax-free car.

vaaltone
20-11-2008, 20:10
Addresses:

Customs:

Very near, Varshavskoe Shosse 225 (Butovo outside MKAD)

GAI/Polis:

6-YA Radial'naya Ulitsa 1
or
Lipetskaya Ulitsa

Hydro
28-01-2009, 12:10
Hello all,
I have received (and read) a lot of conflicting information about temporarily importing a car tax-free into Russia. Can anyone please advise clearly and accurately (preferably someone who has actually made an import recently themselves):

1) Do I need to be a diplomat or can any foreigner with a work visa import one duty free car for personal use?
As I understand it from the customs regulation, any foreigner with a work visa can import one duty free car for personal use.

2) According to the customs regulation I read, the UVTS can only be issued up to the expiry of the owner's local residential registration. Here is the excerpt from the customs website:
UVTS issued at the border should be extended with the customs authorities located at the place of temporary or permanent residence of the person that imported motor vehicle (list of authorized customs bodies is given below) for the entire planned period of operation of such vehicle on the territory of the Russian Federation. At the same time, individuals extending UVTS at the place of their temporary residence are obligated to present to the customs authorities a document confirming registration of these individuals at the place of temporary residence. In this case, UVTS is extended for the period which may not exceed the period indicated in that document.
As I understand it, that means if I have done my local registration through my landlord (which can last for up to a year), the car can be registered up to one year. However, if I have done my local residential registration through my company, which I have to renew every 3 months, that means my car has to be re-registered every 3 months as well (or every time I go out of the country and re-enter and get a new local residential registration).

3) If I buy the car in the US today (for example), and I am not a US citizen (so I cannot get US license plates), can I still make a duty free import?
As I understand it from the customs regulation, it says that the ability to import a duty free car is limited to motor vehicles registered in foreign countries. What does this mean motor vehicles registered in foreign countries? Does that mean it has to have US (or other foreign) license plates already attached upon arrival into Russia, or just that the ownership papers (the title on the car) has to show that I purchased it in a foreign country and I own it since that time when it was in that country of purchase?

If anyone could help to clarify these issues for me once and for all I would very much appreciate it.

Thank you kindly.

vaaltone
08-02-2009, 19:57
1) yes anyone, not only diplomats.

2) yes, you have to do it again and again. It is up to your Visa. So if have visa for one you can register your car up to one year...

3) Does not matter from where buy or import your car. If you do not have plates in a border you'll get transit "plates"/stickers

I bought car from US last autum. It was shipped to Helsinki where from I drove it to here. Then I register it and I got RUS plates... My Visa will expire in April so I'll need to register it again...

Hydro
09-02-2009, 10:04
Hello,
Thank you for your reply. However, according to customs the rules have changed since January 15th, 2009. Here are the new rules:

1) Cars imported under duty-free temporary status must have foreign license plates, which you will drive around with. If you want Russian plates, you must leave a deposit with customs equal to the amount of the import duty. Theoretically you would get this deposit back when the car leaves the country.

2) They only register for up to 6 months now. After that the tax must be paid or the car must leave the country (drive out, drive in), after which you can go through the whole registration process all over again (for another 6 months or until the end of your visa).

3) Technically they only have to register it until the expiry of your local registration now, not the end of your visa.

This info comes directly from customs. It was confirmed by a company offering car registration services who has "channels" in GIBDD.

Basically they have made it completely inconvenient to use the duty-free import channel. I can't imagine anyone wanting to drive around on foreign plates (big red bullseye for the GAI and thieves). And if we are forced to leave a deposit for the import duties, what the difference between paying them??

afcjungle
19-02-2009, 00:48
If you write a "doverenost"... canīt your wife drive the car then?
I think she can.

thva
19-02-2009, 13:50
Good question -
but from what is written here, a tax-free car (unlike one which has been taxed, rastamozhen) is not able to be passed to a different driver by doverenost, not even a spouse -

those who know better, is this indeed the case?

vaaltone
06-03-2009, 16:55
Following is fact for tax-free cars with Russian plates:

At Customs office & GAI you'll need to define who is the owner/Driver of your car. ONLY that person can drive that car ALONE - no one else!!!

I have a TAX-FREE car in Moscow with Russian plates. So I have asked that and tried to do something... but can not.

vaaltone
03-04-2009, 13:10
Hello,
Thank you for your reply. However, according to customs the rules have changed since January 15th, 2009. Here are the new rules:

1) Cars imported under duty-free temporary status must have foreign license plates, which you will drive around with. If you want Russian plates, you must leave a deposit with customs equal to the amount of the import duty. Theoretically you would get this deposit back when the car leaves the country.

2) They only register for up to 6 months now. After that the tax must be paid or the car must leave the country (drive out, drive in), after which you can go through the whole registration process all over again (for another 6 months or until the end of your visa).

3) Technically they only have to register it until the expiry of your local registration now, not the end of your visa.

This info comes directly from customs. It was confirmed by a company offering car registration services who has "channels" in GIBDD.

Basically they have made it completely inconvenient to use the duty-free import channel. I can't imagine anyone wanting to drive around on foreign plates (big red bullseye for the GAI and thieves). And if we are forced to leave a deposit for the import duties, what the difference between paying them??

So the deposit has to pay for GAI/GIBDD, not for Customs?

At least Customs give a paper which allows us to keep our tax-free car another year until Visa expires...

So tomorrow we'll visit at GAI/GIBDD office let's see what happens?

Just for info: We have had already Russian register plates in our car since last summer.

vaaltone
04-04-2009, 20:02
So the deposit has to pay for GAI/GIBDD, not for Customs?

At least Customs give a paper which allows us to keep our tax-free car another year until Visa expires...

So tomorrow we'll visit at GAI/GIBDD office let's see what happens?

Just for info: We have had already Russian register plates in our car since last summer.

Today we got papers from GAI/GIBDD. Total cost was 150RUB.

Yesterday cost from Customs was 5000RUB, because we did not want to queue/wait, so we paid to broker.

They did NOT ask any deposit!!!

So next week we need do MOT-test/inspection.

And then we have all papers again for the next year, until 3.4.2010.

Penguin Snacks
11-04-2009, 23:00
Thanks for all the useful information.

Does anyone know the amount you need to pay if you want to pay the correct taxes and legalize everything?

vaaltone
10-08-2009, 14:28
Hi,

> Does anyone know the amount you need to pay if you want to
> pay the correct taxes...

Depends on:
Car age
Engine size
Horse powers
Car weight
Car type

> ...and legalize everything?