PDA

View Full Version : Is the GAI correct about my US drivers lisence

XRM
26-10-2008, 17:24
I have been driving in Russia for years with an officially translated/stamped copy of my US drivers license accompanied with my US driver's license. I have been stopped for periodic document checks when driving the car.

Everything was in order - until last night. The GAI officer as well as his boss categorically stated that my US "C" classification can only be used for driving trucks in Russia.

I don't want this thread to be a potpourri of all the bad things that GAI do and why they do it. I just want to know IF I am "legal" in driving with my US driver's license "C" class that was officially translated and stamped by an official Russia translation service.

If I am not legal, is there another Russian official document that I should be carrying to explain that my US "C" classification is equal to the Russian "B"? If this document does exist, it would be great to know what type of place issues these types of documents.

Rustralian
30-10-2008, 04:21
If you want to drive in Russia you are required to obtain an International Drivers Permit (IDP) in the US from your authorised provider in your home State (usually the local Motoring Association). The IDP is prepared to an exactly agreed format and will include a Russian translation page, which when opened will show the Russian B class adjacent to your US C cl**** which solves the problem (my Western Australian licence is the same, our general car class is C as well). Buying one online or buying an International Drivers Licence is all nonsesne as they are all fake and meaningless, you have to get one from the US from your home State.

Technically, driving in Russia on a notarised translation is not a legal way to drive as the only law applicable in Russia is the use of an IDP (pursuant to the International Treaties they have signed) and that is the way that translation issues are avoided - the notarised translation cannot change the C to B, so you need the IDP, which folds out to show the B where you have your C. It also includes a photo of you, and works as a good source of ID - you can use that rather than your passport as you are not required to carry your passport, just a form of ID (and your proof of registration).

As an aside, you are only supposed to use an IDP for temporary driving in Russia (they are valid for a maximum of 12 months), once you have been here for years, you are supposed to get a Russian licence - unless for those years you are coming and going all the time and not living here.

:smokin:

jeffpv
30-10-2008, 06:20
I drive here with my Minnesota license and the notarized translation. Legally that is all you're supposed to have to have. Of course, like most laws here, this can vary from officer to officer, region to region, and city to city. :groan:

pierre.gonthier
30-10-2008, 10:08
Is this true that International Driver License can replace passport ?
I always carry passport with me anywhere, but if I an replace with IDL, it would be great/safer...

Ogonek
01-11-2008, 12:11
Is this true that International Driver License can replace passport ?
I always carry passport with me anywhere, but if I an replace with IDL, it would be great/safer...

According to Russian laws the only thing that can temporarily replace passport is a notary copy of the passport.
Of course, in shops, restaurants IDL will be ok, but not for banks or officials.