PDA

View Full Version : moving to Russia with children

canuck36
26-10-2008, 14:40
Hi,
We have an offer to move to Yekaterinburg and we have a 2 year old boy. I'm wondering if anyone has lived there, or has any contacts to expats living, or who have lived, there.

What are medical clinics, facilities, dr. like?
What is cost of living?
What type of childcare (nursery schools?) is available?
What is the security compared with Moscow?

Any help is very appreciated!!

Thanks,
Trina

Reverend
27-10-2008, 08:21
It will be the experience of a lifetime. But....I hope they are paying you a lot for this! If you're going to do this, plan to leave before time for your child to begin school. Do some Googling, if you haven't already. Pick up a guidebook on Russia and look up Yekaterinburg. Also, register on virtualtourist.com and post a query there.

In general, you'll find that it is a compact city, dense traffic, a decent public transit system (very small metro, though), very few english speakers, very few expatriates, and some amount of pollution beyond what you are accustomed to. The surrounding areas can be quite beautiful. I don't know anyone who has actually lived there, though, only visited.

Jien
27-10-2008, 09:31
I agree you must do research on web, before baby touch the land you should have contact on agency who offers housekeeping, babysitter, after you will have hands free to do search.
Company should give you list of schools. For medical stuf make sure you have paied all possible vaccines at your place for baby. But for basic health problem you should not worry, there are private clinic, ask at your insurance company what is recco for this place.
i live in Nizhny Novgorod and there is private kindergarden "Detskyj sad - CREF" with three languages - french, english and russian. We found it not on the web but secretary at our company told us about it, just by the way, so donīt worry too much, for this age is OK. Russia is full of suprise
My babies - 3yrs and 5,5 yrs
Keep in touch, good luck

canuck36
28-10-2008, 10:00
Thanks to both for your insights. Yes, I must continue googling and reading. We will have limited 'in-house' support. Hence my queries. Thanks again!