PDA

View Full Version : Xmas Celebrations

Nigel Jones
24-10-2008, 23:02
I'm spending Xmas in Moscow where do the expats hang out and can you get a traditional Xmas lunch anywhere on Xmas day?

pjw
25-10-2008, 00:28
Hi Nigel,
Please define a traditional xmas lunch. Russian? British? Jewish? Australian? Americano? German? As soon as I know exactly what you're looking for, I'll start the search engines ;)

Matt24
25-10-2008, 02:02
without prejudice or derision (spelling my own) how exactly would you define a Jewish Christmas?

pjw
25-10-2008, 02:13
Jesus, Mary, Joseph, donkeys, a stable, lots of hay, camels, no room in the inn etc. 3 wise men, 3 kings, cows, sheep, a basic nativity scene from when we were kids etc etc ;)

MELODY
25-10-2008, 15:52
without prejudice or derision (spelling my own) how exactly would you define a Jewish Christmas?

SIMPLE: Jesus was JEWISH.
("King of Jews", studied in the temple, observed all Jewish practices, holidays/holy days, his buddies were Jews, his family, etc, etc..Mary was the quintessential "Jewish Mother".)

actually reminds me of when my mother saw that i was giving some Star of David cookies (biscuits) to some people at church, and she said, a bit sarcastically,
"who do you know that's Jewish there?"
of course, my answer was, "Uh, Jesus."
also, i have made YUMMY YUMMY LATKES and BLINTZE for Christmas Day lunch. as i have claimed here previously, for a shiksa, i make a mean latka!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Len Ganley Stance
25-10-2008, 19:49
3 wise men, 3

Wrong forum I fear if that's what you're looking for.

Transparent Theatre
25-10-2008, 20:00
And lo, a star led them to the place they sought...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2c/Kremlin_star.JPG/180px-Kremlin_star.JPG

MELODY
25-10-2008, 22:54
Wrong forum I fear if that's what you're looking for.

and YOU'RE so wise, are you? this thread was totally non-political/controversial/hostile, etc. why would you chime in just to say something negative and ugly? is that what you call "wisdom"? forgive us for not all being pessimistic aetheists who are, by definition, so intelligent--uh, WISE. riiiiight. the original poster is asking for help to CELEBRATE, not fight with arrogrant jerks insulting their customs.

MissAnnElk
25-10-2008, 23:07
I thought he was making a funny . . .

Like the joke about why Jesus wasn't born at my university . . . they couldn't find 3 wise men and a virgin . . .

Bad joke, but a joke . . .

is4fun
25-10-2008, 23:14
Which XMass? 25th or 7th or both?

MELODY
25-10-2008, 23:19
I thought he was making a funny . . .

Like the joke about why Jesus wasn't born at my university . . . they couldn't find 3 wise men and a virgin . . .

Bad joke, but a joke . . .

sounds like an insult to the people answering the original question on this thread. we're talking about CHRISTMAS, not the super bowl or the world cup. and he didnt make a random joke, he said something nasty about the PEOPLE HERE. would it be okay to make the same comments about JEWISH or AFRICAN holidays and those posting about how to celebrate them? (imagine saying that you won't find any wise men on this forum when a Black had started the thread and other Blacks were posting, discussing THEIR holiday custom.) what about a gay right's parade? we could come up with LOTS of joke for that. ("you won't find any MEN here--wise or not! ha-ha-ha.)"
it is just nasty.

Transparent Theatre
25-10-2008, 23:33
it is just nasty.

That chip on your shoulder will leave a greasemark.

Len Ganley Stance
26-10-2008, 10:13
and YOU'RE so wise, are you? this thread was totally non-political/controversial/hostile, etc. why would you chime in just to say something negative and ugly? is that what you call "wisdom"? forgive us for not all being pessimistic aetheists who are, by definition, so intelligent--uh, WISE. riiiiight. the original poster is asking for help to CELEBRATE, not fight with arrogrant jerks insulting their customs.

It was posted with humour intended. Sorry if I offended you.

By the way, thanks for pointing out that I'm an arrogant jerk.

Transparent Theatre
26-10-2008, 15:31
It was posted with humour intended. .

I guess you picked the wrong recipient for that, Len.

Miss Upper-Case Tirade doesn't have a sense of humo(u)r.