PDA

View Full Version : Shipping car from US? or converting diplomatic car?

thva
22-10-2008, 23:26
Does anyone have any experience with either of these? Any connections to a company that would ship a car from the US? Any idea what it would cost?

Or is it indeed possible to buy a car from a diplomat (from whom it would be a lot cheaper) and then pay the taxes to make it possible to register the car normally?

nyinrussia
23-10-2008, 16:57
To your first answer I do not have spefics but the taxes that you have to pay on the car are quite high when you ship it in

2nd If you are not a diplomat you can not buy a car from a diplomat

Transparent Theatre
23-10-2008, 17:38
Is there some reason why buying a car in Moscow isn't an option for you?

Pocket
23-10-2008, 18:18
I did quite a bit of research on this issue, and whether you should ship to Russia or buy in Russia depends on your situation.
It costs $1,600 to ship my van from Houston to Rotterdam. Then, of course, I can drive it into Russia after wandering around Europe for a while. Import fee is under $200, BUT -- this is a temporary permit, the van keeps its US tags, and the absolute maximum time you can do this is for 1 year (which requires more than one visit to the bureaucrats). And, you are stuck with US tags, which might attact vandalism, etc., depending on such things as Georgia, et. al.
To pay the customs/import duty is prohibitively high -- several thousand dollars as best I can figure.
I really wanted to do the temporary permit, but am now leaning toward buying a new car in Russia since I will probably stay a couple years. I suppose a person could take the vehicle out of Russia after a year and bring it back for another year, but I wouldn't count on that -- rules can change.
Another consideration that might impact things is that the temporary permit at a reasonable price is for non-Russians; if a Russian applies for a temporary permit, a deposit equal to the customs fee is required.

thva
24-10-2008, 00:09
Is there some reason why buying a car in Moscow isn't an option for you?
It is an option, but it is much more expensive to buy cars here than many places because of the taxes -
so I want to find out how much it will cost me to ship it, which will allow me to do the math (adding in the taxes) and decide what the cheapest option is

thva
24-10-2008, 00:11
I did quite a bit of research on this issue, and whether you should ship to Russia or buy in Russia depends on your situation.
It costs $1,600 to ship my van from Houston to Rotterdam.

Is this with a local Houston company, or might they also ship out of the NE of the US too? Can you pass me their contact info please?

Pocket
24-10-2008, 00:35
Auto Shippers US. FREE Online Quote Form for Overseas Car shipping rates enquiry. International Car Shippers. (http://www.autoshippers.co.uk/auto_shippers_usa_car_shipping_rate_request1.htm)

At this site, you can get a quote on just about any combination of departure and arrival ports. No sales pressure.