PDA

View Full Version : Invalidated police check?

Larry Paradine
16-10-2008, 20:55
Since submitting my TRP application in August I've been bedevilled by bureaucratic problems that I intend to relate as a cautionary tale in a future thread, but today farce threatens to become tragedy with a decision that my duly apostilled, translated and notarised police check is invalidated by a note atthe bottom that reads: "This document does not constitute a Certificate of Good Character." Has anyone out there had a TRP application refused for this reason? If someone submitted a police check with an identical note at the bottom but still got residency, please tell me when and where (i.e. what office of the миграционная служба) your permit was granted. I'm sure this is a standard disclaimer, intended to shield the police against future claims if the named person turns out to be a combination of Jack the Ripper and the Blagdon Rapist, and that the relevant part of the document is the bit that says "...there is no information held about you inthe Person Record category of the Police National Computer." If I can goto my friendly and well-meaning мигслуж inspector (whose earlier acceptance of the document was overruled by some one higher up the ladder) with a list of offices that didn't act so pedantically, she might get her boss to review the decision.

Thanks. Larry.

Larry Paradine
17-10-2008, 08:35
Having consulted my trustworthy, if ancient, Большой русско-английский словарь, I think the translation agency I used made a bad mistake in translating "good character" as судимость". "Судимость" means "conviction" and the translation seems to contradict the statement in the text itself that there's no record of any convictions under my name on the police national computer. I think "good character' should simply be translated as "хороший характер." If anyone reading this can offer an expert, or at any rate inforrmed, opinion on this matter, please write in. Thanks.

Transparent Theatre
17-10-2008, 08:40
Larry, you have been screwed by an idiot translator. :(

I would get that redone and reapostilled. You're quite correct - it is an entirely incorrect translation.

kapione
17-10-2008, 11:09
Having consulted my trustworthy, if ancient, Большой русско-английский словарь, I think the translation agency I used made a bad mistake in translating "good character" as судимость". "Судимость" means "conviction" and the translation seems to contradict the statement in the text itself that there's no record of any convictions under my name on the police national computer. I think "good character' should simply be translated as "хороший характер." If anyone reading this can offer an expert, or at any rate inforrmed, opinion on this matter, please write in. Thanks.

I have 2 translators I can recommend, PM me please advice the EXPAT>RU community which translatinf service it was that screwed you.... this way it doesnt happen to another person.....
I had a translator in September 2007 tell me a higher than normal price for a passport translation, they were not as you wait or same day service ...it was a "do this then come back, and come back deal" when I got my translation done at the same place I have gone many times ( in about 20 to 40 minutes with notory stamps+seals).
this bad agency demanded money for NO services rendered ! what a joke... then made threats vis sms to me saying "I was guilty of sexual harassment" I gave that individual my Police Catain friends number and said make your complaint..... they put the phone down..... I promptly reported this "agency" to my US embassy they were taken off the list of recommended traslators,and it was forwarded to the British.Canadian and Australian embassies isnt greed a sin?when will people learn this?

Larry Paradine
18-10-2008, 11:31
Thanks for your replies. My wife and I found a Russian language site where this very problem has been discussed and an alternative translation offered. We copied the translation of the relevant sentence and showed it to the migratsionnaya sluzhba inspector, who said that would do fine, then went back to the translation agency: they agreed they were in error and will retranslate the police check and get it notarised again free of charge, so that particular problem seems to be resolved. As soon as I'm sure that the alternative translation has been passed by the migsluzh, I'll post again and give the form of words so that anyone with a police check from the England and Wales police (the Scottish police issue a much simpler certificate) will be able to instruct their translators to use the exact words.

Transparent Theatre
18-10-2008, 12:45
"My hovercraft is full of eels" ;)

MissAnnElk
18-10-2008, 14:23
"I do not want this record. It is scrrratched."