PDA

View Full Version : DVLA at Swansea: What's up with them?

pullar
16-10-2008, 16:52
This heart-rending tale comes from today’s Daily Mail.

"Grieving mother brings son's ashes to court after the DVLA insist on prosecuting him TWO YEARS after he died

When Julie Strange received a letter from the DVLA addressed to her dead son she was understandably upset but graciously put it down to a clerical error.

She rang officials and explained that he had died almost a year before.

But the DVLA sent scores more letters, even after she sent them his death certificate to prove he was incapable of informing them about the sale of a vehicle.

Eventually, officials sent a summons demanding her son appear before local magistrates.

Feeling she had no alternative, Mrs Strange arrived for the court hearing yesterday holding the casket containing his ashes."

Just how dumb do you have to be to realise that a dead man cannot be required to update his vehicle logbook?

isee
16-10-2008, 18:56
This heart-rending tale comes from today’s Daily Mail.

"Grieving mother brings son's ashes to court after the DVLA insist on prosecuting him TWO YEARS after he died

When Julie Strange received a letter from the DVLA addressed to her dead son she was understandably upset but graciously put it down to a clerical error.

She rang officials and explained that he had died almost a year before.

But the DVLA sent scores more letters, even after she sent them his death certificate to prove he was incapable of informing them about the sale of a vehicle.

Eventually, officials sent a summons demanding her son appear before local magistrates.

Feeling she had no alternative, Mrs Strange arrived for the court hearing yesterday holding the casket containing his ashes."

Just how dumb do you have to be to realise that a dead man cannot be required to update his vehicle logbook?

sadly these things happen quite regularly...

I used to work for a vehicle insurance company and if i had a penny for everytime someone called me and thanked me for the renewal quote for their dead relative i'd probably relinquish my basic salary at the time and still earn more than my manager...

pullar
19-10-2008, 02:24
sadly these things happen quite regularly...

I used to work for a vehicle insurance company and if i had a penny for everytime someone called me and thanked me for the renewal quote for their dead relative i'd probably relinquish my basic salary at the time and still earn more than my manager...

That experience is entirely beside the point. I am not suggesting that it is possible for the work of the Great British Bureaucracy to remain absolutely free of error. Implicit in my remarks was the proposition that some kinds of error are simply unacceptable because they are built on applied crass stupidity. If you are presented with someone's death certificate presumably it is within your understanding that the person to whom such piece of paper relates has shuffled of his mortal coil and is unavailable to attend court no matter what penalty you may threaten him with. Hence all and any action against such person is a prodigious waste of time and effort.
I am reminded of the tale during the Thatcherite Poll Tax of someone receiving a letter addressed to their deceased relative enquiring whether it was true that they had failed to pay 'because you died.' That beggars belief, but it is exemplary of the level to which our education system has now brought us.