PDA

View Full Version : Here's a question

MissAnnElk
10-10-2008, 21:40
I cannot tell you how many places I've been in recently (mostly restaurants, but also hair salons, wine bars) where there is one or more huge flat screen TVs showing the same *^%$#! fashion channel.

Why do I want to watch fashion TV while I'm eating pizza? Why? Is it that the establishment wants to show off that they can afford 1-4 flat screen TVs and the fashion channel is not language intensive? Why not sports or news?

J.D.
10-10-2008, 21:42
me thinks thou protests too much.

it is a bit intimidating I guess

MissAnnElk
10-10-2008, 21:47
me thinks thou protests too much.

it is a bit intimidating I guess

It's just odd, is all. I like watching fashion TV, but I can't believe the rest of Moscow does.

J.D.
10-10-2008, 21:54
look closer, every tenth model has a semi-transparent top

trebor
10-10-2008, 22:02
Christ, fashion TV has been going strong for 5 years at least. You have only now started to notice how it has taken over from MTV?

MissAnnElk
10-10-2008, 22:03
Christ, fashion TV has been going strong for 5 years at least. You have only now started to notice how it has taken over from MTV?

I've only been here since December.

trebor
10-10-2008, 22:11
I've only been here since December.

I can't believe that. I can remember the restaurant i was working in, in Tyumen 3 years ago having Fashion TV in the restaurant.
Fashion TV is television's answer to elevator music.

Korkelia
10-10-2008, 22:14
Also they show cartoons.
It's kinda strange and distracting.

MissAnnElk
10-10-2008, 22:14
I can't believe that. I can remember the restaurant i was working in, in Tyumen 3 years ago having Fashion TV in the restaurant.
Fashion TV is television's answer to elevator music.

I don't doubt you. I'm only saying I've only been in Russia since December, so I just put it together the other day and realized I see this everywhere. The question wasn't so much "How long has this been going on" as "WTF? Why is this so popular here?"

trebor
10-10-2008, 22:30
I don't doubt you. I'm only saying I've only been in Russia since December, so I just put it together the other day and realized I see this everywhere. The question wasn't so much "How long has this been going on" as "WTF? Why is this so popular here?"

Okay, i understand what you are saying.
Fashion TV is very popular in Russia on terraces in the summer and other bars and restaurants. Russians just love to sit around and see beautiful girls parade up and down on a TV screen while they have a drink.
With reality setting in, i think like a lot of other things in the post 'crash' world we could be back to watching the babushkas begging for kopeks.

MissAnnElk
10-10-2008, 22:33
Okay, i understand what you are saying.
Fashion TV is very popular in Russia on terraces in the summer and other bars and restaurants. Russians just love to sit around and see beautiful girls parade up and down on a TV screen while they have a drink.
With reality setting in, i think like a lot of other things in the post 'crash' world we could be back to watching the babushkas begging for kopeks.

Given the current state of affairs, a little escapism is understandable.

trebor
10-10-2008, 22:47
Given the current state of affairs, a little escapism is understandable.

Agreed and fasion TV fed straight into a 'Russian' type of escapism. Beauty, wealth and style. Can anyone realy define it's appeal to the average Russian?

Judge
10-10-2008, 22:48
No complaints about fashion tv from me,the best part of FTV is when they show the maxim bikini shoot,:10475::10475:

Elki,if you like,there is also fashion tv called F MEN..:9456::9456:

Kartoshka
11-10-2008, 03:32
Last time I was in a restaurant they were showing a programme about preparing fish - from catching it to gutting it to cooking it. I could have lived without seeing it being gutted while I was eating...

Korotky Gennady
11-10-2008, 04:35
It's just odd, is all. I like watching fashion TV, but I can't believe the rest of Moscow does.Ann, I hate fashion TV. ;)

But I like fashion itself and kirk's style.

The Traveler
11-10-2008, 10:32
You're right....and I HATE fashion TV. It drives me crazy. Nine out of the ten models that I see there I do not find attractive, and I don't like their clothes. I've never seen something on that channel that I would see somebody wear in real life, and if they did, I sure in the hell wouldn't walk down the street with them!

I've got a few restaurants that still play music video channels. Even though they turn off the volume and play they're own music, the videos are a lot more fun to watch.

britpat1
11-10-2008, 11:14
OMG, thank you Miss E for pointing that out! I though that I was the only one that found this 'fashion tv obsession' really strange. I mean, it is the last thikng anyone I know wants to watch back home. It's boring.

Imagine, at the gym in the UK I used listen to music or watch something interesting like the news while excercising.

In STP, I have to watch bl''dy fashion tv, with no volume, how annoying. Or, the perv that has his office right opposite my gym. So I get stuck watching the perv.

fenrir
11-10-2008, 18:20
It's not just Moscow. FTV is also being shown in many places here in Tallinn. I find it irritating when a place has multiple screens ALL showing FTV at the same time. At least some places alternate screens with various sports channels.

is4fun
11-10-2008, 18:23
Is it just me or am I the only one that sees pretty women parading on the cat walk?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipZDG6__Zfc

Transparent Theatre
11-10-2008, 19:35
But it's facile, requires the intelligence of an inverterbrate, and most of all it's glamourno!

Shallow glitzy pap is sooooooo "in" these days....

is4fun
12-10-2008, 19:30
glamourno! Gotta love it!