PDA

View Full Version : I want to move to Russia

Cayle
10-10-2008, 06:46
My name is Cayle and I live in Minneapolis, Minnesota, but I am looking for a job in Russia. I have spent part of the summer the past 4 years in Russia and Eastern Europe and love the culture and countries. I don't know where to start or even how to look for a job in Russia. I currently work for a major manufacturer of power sports vehicles and I would like to work for a US or other International company in Russia. If someone can point me in the right direction to find a job in Russia I would be very appreciative. Thank you for your time and help.

Albertina
10-10-2008, 08:27
I'd have said send out your resume to major agencies and start looking. But first you probably have to wait for the crisis to calm down.

privet2009
10-10-2008, 21:22
Good luck - however many of the jobs formerly filled by expats are now filled by native Russians. There no longer is that demand for expats as locals are becoming experienced and taking the jobs themselves.

Why employ an expat (with additional housing costs, hardship allowances etc ++) when somebody local can do the job equally as well if not better at a lower overall cost.

Unless you can substantially differentiate yourself in either professional skills and/or language skills I think it will be tough.

However, as they say, and as I firmly believe, the harder you try the luckier you get (Samuel Goldwyn). Bear that in mind and you will succeed sooner or later.

MissAnnElk
10-10-2008, 21:36
The Moscow Times had a supplement this week on HR issues and there was a long article about the need for expats to be fluent in Russian. It isn't always a deal breaker, but it sure can be a deciding factor when everything else is equal. If I were gung ho to come here, I'd make sure my language skills were as good as possible.