PDA

View Full Version : Wi-Fi in the home

ultimotattie
09-10-2008, 14:22
Hi there, just wondering if anyone has any info on different wi-fi services?

I know of the Golden Web wi-fi, but I don't appear to be able to pick it up at my home. I don't pick up very much at all come to think of it! However, just wondering if there are any which do not broadcast their SSID etc that I may be able to pick up? I am about 15 minutes walk from Dmitrovskaya.

Does anyone know about the Megafon wi-fi also and how it works, coverage, prices etc?

Transparent Theatre
09-10-2008, 15:24
Unless you are within the Garden Ring, it's worth looking at SkyLink.

Very good speeds, the prices have come down from where they first started etc. The only drag is having to buy the proprietary modem to start with, but quite often they have promotional sign-up offers, including a basic modem for free. Covers the entire Moscow area and way out into the boonies (discounts for users in dacha areas).

ultimotattie
10-10-2008, 16:15
Thanks for the info, sorry im a bit slow to reply, you can guess why from the fact im asking about internet providers!

I had a look at their webpage, but I don't know enough russian to fully translate it. Can you give me an idea of the general prices or setup process? Or do they have an English version of the site? (I didn't see one.).

If not, thanks anyway, I will work on the translation!

Transparent Theatre
10-10-2008, 16:37
Skylink is basically 3G technology, and it only works in the Moscow region, and in St Petersburg - you can't roam to anywhere else with it currently.

You have to take your pc to one of their offices and they do the installation and set-up. When you want to go online, you click their desktop icon, and within a few seconds you are connected. You should disconnect when you are done online. They have all kinds of tariff plans - the site explains more. The main downside is having to buy the fairly pricey modem (about 100 euro) needed - but the speed is great once you are set up.

You pay monthly, you can use the various service-payment terminals around town for this :)

ultimotattie
12-10-2008, 17:02
Thanks again, haven't had much chance to look into it too much over the weekend, but I will check it out at some point.

Strider
12-10-2008, 21:29
do you need wi-fi at home or in the streets?

if you need it at home, it's easier to buy wi-fi router and get wired internet connection (adsl or LAN), prices start from 300r per month usually

if you need internet in different places and in the streets, you'll have to use mobile networks for reliable internet connection

ultimotattie
12-10-2008, 22:47
I stay with a family just now, so the phone line and the internet coming in is out of my control, thats why I was looking for a wireless solution. I can use mobile internet, but its not convenient or cheap if I wanted to download something, or do more than chat.

Strider
13-10-2008, 00:11
but does this family have any internet at home?

if they have a router without wi-fi, you can buy a small portable wi-fi router that you can plug into the router and you have your wireless internet

and if you're staying at some place that doesn't have internet (which is strange nowadays), or there's no router to plug in your wi-fi router... then yes, mobile network is an option.... but it's the worst and most expensive option :)

granmar
15-10-2008, 00:13
Hi there, just wondering if anyone has any info on different wi-fi services?

I know of the Golden Web wi-fi, but I don't appear to be able to pick it up at my home. I don't pick up very much at all come to think of it! However, just wondering if there are any which do not broadcast their SSID etc that I may be able to pick up? I am about 15 minutes walk from Dmitrovskaya.

Does anyone know about the Megafon wi-fi also and how it works, coverage, prices etc?

Get Stream if you can or Akado СТРИМ Бизнес | Высокоскоростной интернет в офис (http://tochka.ru) or http://www.akado,ru

Bruce