PDA

View Full Version : Visa run info please for a Brit

Fiery Jack
08-10-2008, 08:44
I'm British and have been told by various people that because of all this stupid political nonsense and games between our so called leaders,
I can't go to a Russian Consulate in a Baltic country any more for my visa, but must return to London.

Is this 100% fact???

If so, does anyone know anyone who does "visa runs" because I can't afford either the time OR money to go to London YET AGAIN, having just returned 2 months ago with a 3 month visa.

PLEASE. I need a 1 year work visa. I'm a teacher. I've been here 4 years. I love Russia (yes, I'm mad), and want to stay here. What is the usual quote for the visa run service?

PLEASE PM ME!

Bels
08-10-2008, 10:02
If you are a teacher who has a legal employer, surely they will have the invitation and will arrange your work permit. Otherwise you have to get outside the country to get another visa. Just like the rest of us Brits and other expats.

Invitations and work permits are done with the assistance of your legal employer, and you cannot do it legally any other way.

米乐龙
08-10-2008, 11:37
Agree with Bels. I am not sure about your situation but it seems as though you do not have the work visa paper work ready? Unfortunately a work visa isn't as easy to get as a business visa, you need to get your employer to prepare all the paper work for you + your employer must be registered to hire foreigners. If none of this is ready then you can forget getting the paper work done in time and will have to opt for another 3 month business visa.

If I was you I would start ringing around to the closest Russian embassies/consulates and see if they can give you some info. about where to get your visa other than in the UK.

Transparent Theatre
08-10-2008, 15:09
I know for a fact that an American friend of mine got her visa renewed yesterday in Lviv, Ukraine.

That seems to suggest that this info might have a few holes in it?

Despite the extremely irritating properties of that little w*nker Miliband, I don't believe they find him more annoying than the Great Satan after the hoo-hah in the Caucasus of late?

I know that in the London Consulate they process for nearly ANY nationality, except for those countries "likely to be the source of illegal migration". (I know this because I actually translated the latest list for them, as a favour while I was waiting in the queue ;) "Ecuador" isn't spelt with a "k" in English... and put all the countries in correct A-Z order in their English spellings). On that basis, Consulates elsewhere should be doing the same thing, reciprocally.

All of them have websites these days, so I would get clicking and check for yourself... rather than rely on second-hand info which might not be current??

The main drag is that there is often a compulsory "delay" in doing non-local passports, although some element of "negotiation" can often be brought to bear? :)

Fiery Jack
08-10-2008, 21:41
ok this is all very helpful and interesting, thank you!

I will check with consulates closer to Russia about their policies towards processing British visas. I just heard that nowhere will do it except London now.

Will check! Thanks again!

Ps- I already have my invitation, but it is for a 'Voluntary' organisation. I don't think I need a work permit.

Bels
08-10-2008, 22:33
ok this is all very helpful and interesting, thank you!

I will check with consulates closer to Russia about their policies towards processing British visas. I just heard that nowhere will do it except London now.

Will check! Thanks again!

Ps- I already have my invitation, but it is for a 'Voluntary' organisation. I don't think I need a work permit.

That's interesting and outside my knowledge. As being a voluntary organisation are you allowed to stay for a year without a work permit, or do do you continue to have the problem 90 days in and ninety days out. This might be new info for all of us here. Referring this with my wife, I doubt it very much.

And even the best , richest and most qualified employers come up stinkers. Look at BP our big brother. They have had problems with top management and even the BP?TNK director failing to get a work permit. Now can you understand the lack of potential foreign investment in Mocow? And citie, countries such as Norway,Madrid get it instead? Because of this damn Russian red-tape Russa has lost a lot in foreign investment.

It's so simple, the employer needs permission from the immigration authority to employ foreigners, and your employer should know the facts to guide you as an employee. If they don't know, something is amiss. Don't mess around and only have guidance from experinced employers who know what they are doing.

Fiery Jack
08-10-2008, 23:00
Well, I'm checking with my man now about the one year visa he got on the basis of an invitation from a Voluntary Organisation. I've asked if there are any restrictions on it and Judge has kindly contacted me about this, we will keep each other informed and i will keep your site informed too.

I so agree with your comments about investment. This is all just petty tit for tat, it really is so childish and self defeating.

And of course, as you'd expect, I emailed the Russian Consulates in Kiev and Riga to the email addresses they give on their sites and none of them worked.
Both were returned as "Failed to find recipient". Isn't that just pathetic???
NAtional embassies with broken email addresses. Sorry, I,m getting het up here. So much is broken and dysfucntional, why should an email be expected to work??

One last thought.

Isn't it ironic that a country which needs many foreign experts from West and Europe, to compensate for the bleeding away of it's own intelligentsia who are emigrating in their hundreds of thousands....
a country which needs investment and help so much , is petulantly making it so difficult for them to obtain visas.

And WHY in GOD's name should it even be necessary to leave a country and come back again to get a visa???? Why can't it be possibe to renew a visa from iniside Russia???!!!

What is the logic behind this??? Or is it just bloody minded arbitrary red tape??

They make it so hard for those who have something to offer this place in terms of expertise, but for the hundreds of thousands of migrant workers from the former Soviet Union, its so easy!! You just pay a quick bribe or fine and you're off!! No problems!!

Bels
08-10-2008, 23:56
I totally agree with you, but we can't do anything about it. All we can do is look at the Russian laws as the keep coming, and watch expat.ru members comments as to to how they experience them. Not always do the laws of Russia compliment with these laws, in comparison to what expats experience them :)

Well, I'm checking with my man now about the one year visa he got on the basis of an invitation from a Voluntary Organisation. I've asked if there are any restrictions on it and Judge has kindly contacted me about this, we will keep each other informed and i will keep your site informed too.

I so agree with your comments about investment. This is all just petty tit for tat, it really is so childish and self defeating.

And of course, as you'd expect, I emailed the Russian Consulates in Kiev and Riga to the email addresses they give on their sites and none of them worked.
Both were returned as "Failed to find recipient". Isn't that just pathetic???
NAtional embassies with broken email addresses. Sorry, I,m getting het up here. So much is broken and dysfucntional, why should an email be expected to work??

One last thought.

Isn't it ironic that a country which needs many foreign experts from West and Europe, to compensate for the bleeding away of it's own intelligentsia who are emigrating in their hundreds of thousands....
a country which needs investment and help so much , is petulantly making it so difficult for them to obtain visas.

And WHY in GOD's name should it even be necessary to leave a country and come back again to get a visa???? Why can't it be possibe to renew a visa from iniside Russia???!!!

What is the logic behind this??? Or is it just bloody minded arbitrary red tape??

They make it so hard for those who have something to offer this place in terms of expertise, but for the hundreds of thousands of migrant workers from the former Soviet Union, its so easy!! You just pay a quick bribe or fine and you're off!! No problems!!