PDA

View Full Version : Taking a gay or same-sex partner to Moscow

element19
07-10-2008, 15:52
I am a gay man in a relationship who is considering working in Moscow.

Can anyone provide any advice or examples of taking their partner to Russia? I'd be keen to hear how that worked from a visa perspective and if they were able to get employment.

britpat1
07-10-2008, 16:39
Hi there, welcome to the forum, I knew one gay expat who had his partner here, not sure whats happened to his partner now though because of visa issues. It also means that unmarried expats are also having problems with visa.

Fiery Jack
08-10-2008, 23:06
I am a gay man in a relationship who is considering working in Moscow.

Can anyone provide any advice or examples of taking their partner to Russia? I'd be keen to hear how that worked from a visa perspective and if they were able to get employment.

I don't know for sure, but the very fact an HIV test is required to get a visa here speaks volumes about their attitudes to other aspects of life which might give you some clue as to this issue.
Id say, arrange your visas separately and do what you want when you both get here. Sorry, but I don't have much optimism for you getting anything like a sympathetic hearing on this one. My guess is you won't even get a cup of tea, never mind a visa. Meant with all repsect, but a heavy dose of realism.

Fiery Jack
08-10-2008, 23:10
The secret to being gay in Russia, as I know from a couple of long term gay friends here, is , that Russia is a free tolerant place as long as you don't

a) Flaunt it openly

b)expect any kind of special treatment or consideration. Here, you are just another person, not a minority with rights.

If you can live with that, you'll enjoy Russia for what it has to offer.
What it doesn't have to offer is a Western concept of accepting homosexuaity as 'normal'. As Peter Tatchell found out.