View Full Version : What Visa to use to get TRP

06-10-2008, 12:26
Hey all,

I've been lurking for quite some time and I have to say I've found a wealth of information on the site. Thanks!

To make a long story short, I will be moving to Petersburg early next year to live with my girlfriend for about 2 years while she finishes university. I'm already in the process of getting the requisite criminal background check documents before I head over and I will be applying for a TRP as soon as I get there.

It's my understanding that the application process takes roughly 6 months and that leads me to my question. I am aware of the 90 in, 90 out rule so what visa should I get before leaving the States? I've seen conflicting info- can I get a year-long ME Business visa and stay past the first 90 days if my application has been submitted? Or is the term "accepted?" If I have to leave after 90 days, period, should I get a 3 month visa then fly home after 90 days, get a new visa, then fly back? From an expense point of view that would be really terrible.

I apologize if this question has been answered definitively elsewhere, I've seen some people say that you can stay past the 90 days (for as long as the visa is valid) to others saying you cannot. Thanks for your help!

08-10-2008, 19:42
As I stated in a previous post (from my own experiences)
you can only get a 3 month visa at this point. However the 180/90 day rule does not apply once you have submitted the inital TRP application. You however will still need to make a new visa run but that could be in another country like London or Finland.

09-10-2008, 02:22
Well if the only visa I could get is a 3 month visa (90 days) then there is no such thing of the 90 in, 90 out because the entire visa is good for only 3 months. Unfortunately, the cost of going to either the UK or Finland and waiting for 10 business days to get a new visa (if they will even issue me one outside of the States) will be as much more than flying back to the States.

I can purchase a year-long business visa here in the US, the Russian consulate still issues them. If the 90/180 rule no longer applies after initial application of the TRP then would the safe thing be to get a visa good for 1 year and stay in russia past the 90 days once I've submitted the application?

Thanks for your help! The last thing I want to do is overstay a visa or end up flying back and forth if I don't have to.

09-10-2008, 06:29
Theofrastus, a year-long business visa is absolutely a subject to "90 days in, 90 days out" rule. Submitting your TRP application has no effect on it.

09-10-2008, 07:58
Theofrastus, a year-long business visa is absolutely a subject to "90 days in, 90 days out" rule. Submitting your TRP application has no effect on it.

That is not true, once you have sumbitted the application then you are not subject to the 90/180- rule. I know this from my own personal experience and was told during the process by my local immigration office. You would have to submit the application within the 3 months of your valid visa though.

However foreign registration is valid for only 3 months so you would have to go outside of Russia for a day to reregister.

Did not know they are still issuing the year long visa in US.

09-10-2008, 10:43
That is not true, once you have sumbitted the application then you are not subject to the 90/180- rule.

Well, I'm not surprised. :) Every immigration office seems to have its own ideas of how things should be done. Our local UFMS told us in clear terms that TRP application doesn't have any affect on 90/180 rules. I wish they had some kind of unified set of regulations posted on their website!

09-10-2008, 14:50
Yes unfortunately that is true there are many conflicting stories on what has been said by local immigration offices. But my husband checked with more than one office.

10-10-2008, 01:40
I appreciate the help! This is a tough call- if I choose poorly then I could get screwed.

If I go with the year-long visa and CAN stay past the first 90 days after submitting a TRP application then I'm golden

If I CAN'T then I'm forced to leave the country for 3 months?

If I go with the 3 month visa then I'm basically forced to fly back to the US regardless.

Do I take the gamble? Thoughts?

10-10-2008, 14:59
90 days should be enough to submit your application, specially if your "work" full-time on your TRP.
Don't forget to marry your girlfriend, it is quite critical step in the preparation of your TRP... Remember that ZAGS requires a minimum of 30 days between the application and the wedding itself.
I submitted mine on Sep. 4th in Saint-Petersburg and I was told the waiting time would be 4 months. But I'll have to see it to believe it.

20-10-2008, 17:21
I was in the same jam with the 90 day rule, having submitted my papers for TPR last March. I was told by the boss at my district FMS office that I had to leave according to my visa. I was out of the country for 10 days and reregistered, it made no difference...this even thought i am outside the quota and married to a Russian. I had to leave my family behind in Moscow and return a week later. The only way you will really know is that you get to the border and god only know what happens then. Because if the bosses at the FMS offices differ ( as outlined above) then the border guards appreciation will differ.......

20-10-2008, 18:11
TRP application has no influence on the terms and conditions of your visa. I had this confirmed during my application through several sources, one of which being the head of UFMS on Pokrovka and the head of my local UFMS on Basmanny.

Overstaying your visa can seriously harm your TRP application. Up untill last Friday, October 17th 2008, there was still a 'grey area' concerning the 90/180 rule, as visas issued up untill that moment were excempt from that rule (which also led to a lot of confusion).

Now, however, there is no way that you can stay longer than 3 months on a ME business visa. You can still apply for a single entry 3 mths business visa, use it to the full extend, make a visa run and be back in a week (or 10 days). I suppose that byrneofmoscow did this, just like I did.

DON'T experiment however with overstaying your visa, as you seriously risk being deported and then you're not allowed to enter Russia for 5 years.

20-10-2008, 18:17
If you have enough time -- 6 months is recommended -- you can do the TRP application through a Russian consulate in the US and have no need for a visa.
An advantage to this route is that you can easily deal with changing requirements, apostiles, criminal checks, etc., and if your Russian is not so good, you will be dealing with authorities who all speak English.
I am working through the Houston consulate, which has been very professional in previous dealings, but I don't know how this will progress since I am still gathering the required documentation, i.e., income verification, criminal check, etc.

23-10-2008, 06:44
I didn't know which visa to go for as it seems to really be up to the local FMS office as to what rules and regulations they want to follow. I opted to go with the year-long ME business visa *hoping* that I can catch a break and stay past the first 90 days. I'll actually be registering in the Leningrad Region (her parents live outside the city) and I'm hoping to capitalize on her parents' clout. Her father is a well-to-do business man and knows a good number of politicians in the local government so here's to crossing my fingers.

I fly out at the end of December of this year, I'll let you all know how it turns out. Thanks for all the advice.