PDA

View Full Version : 1 Year Business Visa for US Citizen

amerikanka
06-10-2008, 02:56
Is this still possible??

I've read so many conflicting stories about the new visa regulations. Some say that it is only possible now to get a 90/180 day visa and some say I can still get the 1 year multiple entry visa? Even if it is my first trip to Russia and I have no actual business there?

I am moving to St. Petersburg in January and still trying to figure this all out. I plan on living there for 1 year if possible.

Also, does anyone recommend a place to get my visa invitation? I was planning on WaytoRussia.net but still have some time to decide...

nyinrussia
06-10-2008, 11:06
As far as I know you can only get the 90/180 visa/ 3 month business visa now. Even if you had a full year visa the 90/180 day rule would apply. Meaning you have to leave the country for a certain amount of time. Once you arrive you have to register and registration is only valid for 3 months. Maybe a student visa would be an exception but I am not sure.

米乐龙
06-10-2008, 12:08
Even if it is my first trip to Russia and I have no actual business there?

So what exactly will you be doing in Russia then? Studying? Working? Researching?

amerikanka
07-10-2008, 02:19
Mostly cultural. I'm very interested in Russian literature as well as the language and enjoy traveling. I work as a writer so location isn't really important.

amerikanka
07-10-2008, 02:20
As far as I know you can only get the 90/180 visa/ 3 month business visa now. Even if you had a full year visa the 90/180 day rule would apply. Meaning you have to leave the country for a certain amount of time. Once you arrive you have to register and registration is only valid for 3 months. Maybe a student visa would be an exception but I am not sure.
are you also an American citizen? What process did you go through in order to get a visa for Russia?

nyinrussia
08-10-2008, 19:39
Yes I am very much an American. My situation is a little different as I have a russian husband and I already have my temporary residency as of this aug.

When I first came to Russia in 2007 I had a 1 business visa through a company, took the invitation, cover letter, to the embassy with passport, photos application and money order. Then they examined it accepted it and told me which day to pick up my visa/passport.

Same process this past July when we had to renew but this time only got 3 month visa

amerikanka
09-10-2008, 02:54
thats whats i'm afraid of but the consulate in san francisco says that i can still get the one year visa and sooooo many people online say that i can't.

i'm applying for jobs over there like crazy so i can just get a work visa instead and be sure about staying.

do you know if i can go there on a 3 month visa and get a work visa while i'm there, assuming someone offers me a job? or would i have to come back to the US to get it?

米乐龙
09-10-2008, 04:34
You can get a 1 year business visa but the 90/180 day rule will apply so this won't do. Trying to get a job is the easy part, getting a work visa is another story. For you to get a job the company hiring you must be registered to hire foreigners. If they are not registered then they will have to go through a lengthy process to get registered and then you will need to go through another lengthy process to obtain your work visa... This will turn many potential employers away from hiring you. And you must return to the USA to get your work visa.

My suggestion is to get a student visa. Sign up for courses at a Russian university and they will help you to get your visa documents ready.